Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: If a guy backs off to figure things out BEFORE dating??

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    7
    Originally Posted by Billie28
    He just isnít that interested and you were his one option until now.
    Donít take that personally. You just arenít his type.

    He sort of likes you but now he has other options he is investigating a more genuine interest in another but keeping you as a back up.

    Donít be that back up.

    Just fade away.

    If someone is keen on you they wonít chat for 2-3 months, they will try to meet in 2-3 weeks. If no meet after a month. Stop being their chat buddy ego booster so they gain confidence to chat up another? Where does / did that leave you?

    Thank you. I agree yeah, thing is we did see each other in person during that time, often, he arranged his breaks at work to match mine and everything, before he back off. Now we dont see each other or speak much but if I do see him, he's still a little nervous around me like he used to be from the start, which I found cute always, and is always standing super close to me etc. So I dont understand it.

  2. #12
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    50,478
    It's not complicated. He doesn't want to date you. A man who wants to date you especially in this case would ask you out on a date and show up for the date. He does enjoy chatting with you and flirting with you and being friends.

  3. #13
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    348
    He sounds like a pen pal. All talk, no action.

  4. #14
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    9,178
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    It's not complicated. He doesn't want to date you. A man who wants to date you especially in this case would ask you out on a date and show up for the date. He does enjoy chatting with you and flirting with you and being friends.
    All of this.

    He may have been rather interested at one point, OP, but he isn't anymore. I wouldn't stress about the reasons why, but I wouldn't consider him an option any longer either.

  5.  

  6. 07-18-2019, 04:09 PM

  7. 07-18-2019, 04:30 PM
    Reason
    Reference to deleted post.

  8. 07-18-2019, 04:32 PM
    Reason
    Reference to deleted post.

  9. 07-18-2019, 04:33 PM
    Reason
    Reference to deleted post.

  10. #15
    Platinum Member Rose Mosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    2,408
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by lightorb11
    Hi. I'm wondering if someone could provide their input on a situation i was in.
    This guy I've known through friends for some time expressed interest in me, he pursued me, flirted, and we spoke pretty much daily via text or in person for about 2 or 3 months. He seemed really interested in me and it was clear he wasnt talking to~ any other girl at the time except me. He even asked me out at one point, and we'd arranged that date, but then something else unrelated to both of us happened so that didnt end up happening at that time, but we still continued to chat/flirt like usual, and things seemed really great, actually.

    Then suddenly he withdrew and stopped replying to my texts, and I mean suddenly. When I asked he'd say he was busy and didnt mean to. We spoke a bit. Then he withdrew again.
    At which point I brought it up more seriously to him, and he actually asked me if I wanted to talk about it in a little more detail. We talked a bit and he told me that I didnt do anything, and that he was trying to go as slow as he could because hes trying to figure out things and where he wants this to go...and we agreed that some space was best right now.

    Now I wasn't clingy at all, in fact I was probably the more distant one. I dont think hes a jerk so I dont think hes lying to me about the figuring things out line.... but I dont know. Can someone enlighten me as to why someone would pull away like this when things seem good? What is there to "figure out" ?? I've not heard of that happening BEFORE you start dating someone lol. I'm confused...
    I cannot prove it to you and you likely won't find any proof of it either but if you want to know what I really think, I suspect what he meant was he's figuring out where he wants things to go with you because he's got a better option he's checking out. You're Plan B. He will never tell you that because it goes against the Prologue in the Player's Handbook. He's just terrible at it.

    I second the others and let this one go. I know your ego is bruised and it's probably a bit annoying but you can also learn from it and learn to find humour in it too. I think you'll be just fine. Time to meet new people.

  11. #16
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    9,600
    Originally Posted by lightorb11

    At which point I brought it up more seriously to him, and he actually asked me if I wanted to talk about it in a little more detail. We talked a bit and he told me that I didnt do anything, and that he was trying to go as slow as he could because hes trying to figure out things and where he wants this to go...and we agreed that some space was best right now.
    I can only speculate lightorb, but the bolded comment is very telling, imo. Here's why.

    It sounds very much like when he first began interacting with you, his intention was only to flirt and have fun with it, mostly via text and the occasional flirt in person, but nothing more than that. Kind of like a fun fantasy, that would never come to fruition.

    However, as time went on, reality hit and he realized that he would be expected to keep his word about meeting with the intention of dating (he couldn't keep making excuses forever), and since that was never his intention in the first place (even though he talked a good game), he basically did your standard, every-day, run of the mill freak out and pulled back, withdrew.

    To, as he said think about things and decide if he really does want to meet and transition your interaction from fantasy to reality.

    Not at all uncommon when you meet in the virtual world.

    Going back to the bolded, if it was because of another woman, I don't think he would have encouraged more discussion about it.

    JMO on that though, typically in my experience when a man puts a woman "oh hold" because of another woman, they want to avoid further discussion not encourage further discussion the way he did.

  12. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    7
    Originally Posted by katrina1980
    I can only speculate lightorb, but the bolded comment is very telling, imo. Here's why.

    It sounds very much like when he first began interacting with you, his intention was only to flirt and have fun with it, mostly via text and the occasional flirt in person, but nothing more than that. Kind of like a fun fantasy, that would never come to fruition.

    However, as time went on, reality hit and he realized that he would be expected to keep his word about meeting with the intention of dating (he couldn't keep making excuses forever), and since that was never his intention in the first place (even though he talked a good game), he basically did your standard, every-day, run of the mill freak out and pulled back, withdrew.

    To, as he said think about things and decide if he really does want to meet and transition your interaction from fantasy to reality.

    Not at all uncommon when you meet in the virtual world.

    Going back to the bolded, if it was because of another woman, I don't think he would have encouraged more discussion about it.

    JMO on that though, typically in my experience when a man puts a woman "oh hold" because of another woman, they want to avoid further discussion not encourage further discussion the way he did.


    Thank you for your input, it makes sense for sure. We didnt meet online though, we met in person/work in the same building, before we began texting we talked in person occasionally, then he texted me and was very responsive for a few months before he dipped. Which left me confused.

    I do think he thinks he shouldnt/doesnt have to respond all the time, since I'm not his gf, which makes sense but also why respond the last while before that then?? Was he waiting til he 'had me' to bounce??

    I wouldnt care about him ghosting if he wasnt consistent before that. There was an unspoken expectation there and now hes acting like I'm asking too much when I bring up him ghosting. He told me he likes seeing me and talking to me but we arent on the same wavelength at the moment he feels like. I think in terms of expectation??

  13. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    7
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    I cannot prove it to you and you likely won't find any proof of it either but if you want to know what I really think, I suspect what he meant was he's figuring out where he wants things to go with you because he's got a better option he's checking out. You're Plan B. He will never tell you that because it goes against the Prologue in the Player's Handbook. He's just terrible at it.

    I second the others and let this one go. I know your ego is bruised and it's probably a bit annoying but you can also learn from it and learn to find humour in it too. I think you'll be just fine. Time to meet new people.

    Yeah I keep thinking about it. Before he ghosted, like the day/days before, he was really into me, consistent, initiated conversation when I let it die down, flirted heavily, etc. Then literally overnight, ghost. I dont know how someone loses interest overnight...and had he had another girl on the side before that, I feel I would've sensed it by his actions/effort in me, but he seemed really focused on me the whole time before that, like arranged his schedule to see me almost daily, always msgd me etc. He did all this for like 2 or 3 months straight. He's a pretty nice guy and has only been in serious relationships, I felt no reason to not trust him, I've dealt with jerks before he wasnt one...idk.

    I'm wondering if he freaked out cause he was basically putting in effort like a bf without us actually dating and now hes like "woah, we're not together chill". But still, why now? He was talking something about space being good...I'm not even your gf what space do you need dude.

  14. #19
    Platinum Member melancholy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    5,927
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Billie28
    He just isnít that interested and you were his one option until now.
    Donít take that personally. You just arenít his type.

    He sort of likes you but now he has other options he is investigating a more genuine interest in another but keeping you as a back up.

    Donít be that back up.

    Just fade away.

    If someone is keen on you they wonít chat for 2-3 months, they will try to meet in 2-3 weeks. If no meet after a month. Stop being their chat buddy ego booster so they gain confidence to chat up another? Where does / did that leave you?
    This ^^^^^

  15. #20
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    9,600
    Regardless of how you met, he never intended nor wanted anything more than a fun flirtation.

    Nevermind what he told you, if he wanted to actually date you, he would have taken you out on a real live date, not made excuses and continued the fun flirtation and let it drag out for literally months!

    Interested men without a lot of hang ups about dating and relationships do not behave that way, they just don't.

    Now, after months of this game, it became too much, he took it too far, and suddenly, without warning, literally overnight, the reality of it hit and he does not want it!!

    He never wanted it, it was just a fun game and he took it too far.

    Don't try to analyze why -- another woman, social anxiety, fear of relationships/commitment, who cares?

    He's in a totally different zone from you, a different mindset.

    Try to let it go hun, seriously.

    I'm sorry you were disappointed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •