Going to AA...

JA0371

Hi all.

I made the decision to give up alcohol fairly recently. I’m not an every day drinker..but I binge drink and when I do I’m just not someone I like, and it scares me. Alcoholism runs in my family as well.

I went to my second meeting today and I’m finding it to be a huge relief. I always heard of AA but never realized how these people just welcome you with no judgement..just understanding. I haven’t talked yet. I want to make it to at least 30 meetings and just listen.ive gotten a lot of numbers from the women and have them on standby.

I love the honesty and tranparency of the members. I realized by being there how ashamed I’ve been of my own issues and that I haven’t really been honest with myself about how bad things have gotten.

If anyone has any stories please share.

Wish me luck!

I'm proud of you, JA0371 !!!! You are healing yourself and trying to make your life better. Good luck! You can do this!

I wish I could tell you about AA stories. I just wish those whom I know and knew would've been as courageous and intelligent as you.

Here's to sobriety, good mental and physical health!

I'm really proud of you. You're going to do great. Remember to text those numbers if you are feeling like hitting the bottle.

Now I do drink (rarely, and yes I've gotten drunk) but I can honestly tell you my best times have been sober ones. There is so much fun to be had while sober. Actually, a lot of things I like to do, you really need to be sober for for maximum enjoyment. People who tell you that it's hard to have fun without alcohol either rely on it too much or they aren't looking in the right places for activities.

You are on a bright road.

Thank you girls! I’m excited but I know there will be times I’ll slip.

I’m trying to figure out exactly why I like to drink when I know it will not end well. I think it helps me calm my mind and not think about things I want to forget.

Any suggestions on how to get past the physical withdrawals? I’ve heard eating something with sugar helps?

Try changing your lifestyle, focus on healthier food choices, hydrate with water frequently and exercise daily or regularly.

Consuming sugar causes you to crave even more sugar. Hence, this creates a vicious cycle. Cut out sugar and bad carbs from your diet entirely.

Good on you OP! I can’t say enough about 12 step recovery it’s saved my life.

Talk to the others in the meetings... get yourself a sponsor and support group... and listen to what they have to say as they have travelled the road already.

One day at a time OP. [emoji1362]

This takes a lot of courage. Hope it helps you feel supported and like you are not alone getting through it and that you can overcome or understand your triggers too. The transparency must be so refreshing. I think seeking knowledge and being open to learning more is the first step...keep it up.

Call it a hot take, but while I'll sing its surface-level group therapy praises night and day, AA isn't an evidenced-based practice, and being frank, there's a reason through its nearly 100 year existence, they've withheld or simply refused to accrue relevant statistics to support its efficacy.

By all means, if you think your binge drinking issues are mild enough that hitting up an AA session every so often gets it out of your system, don't let me be the one to tell you you've got to dig out your insurance card and make an appointment. But if you do catch yourself struggling, I wouldn't let it stand in for a formal clinical regimen.

Call it a hot take, but while I'll sing its surface-level group therapy praises night and day, AA isn't an evidenced-based practice, and being frank, there's a reason through its nearly 100 year existence, they've withheld or simply refused to accrue relevant statistics to support its efficacy.

By all means, if you think your binge drinking issues are mild enough that hitting up an AA session every so often gets it out of your system, don't let me be the one to tell you you've got to dig out your insurance card and make an appointment. But if you do catch yourself struggling, I wouldn't let it stand in for a formal clinical regimen.

I can appreciate this caution from a standpoint, OP, of your casual mention of dealing with withdrawal. And alcohol is one of the most dangerous substances from which you can attempt to detox on your own. It put my dad in the ICU with a ripped stomach.

If you are shaking, go to an emergency room or doctor immediately and get yourself assessed, monitored, hydrated and cleansed through a drip. You’ll thank yourself later and will have plenty of time to deal with the emotional and lifestyle stuff, which is the role of a support group. Getting yourself clean SAFELY must be the choice that precedes all else, and toughing that out solo is not a safe thing to do. Read up if you doubt this.

We’re in your corner, luv.

Thank you all. I’m not shaking or anything but definitely get the “urge”...to take the edge off. I’ve been working out too..but night time is definitely a time I’m most likely to want to drink. Funny enough..I don’t usually even drink a huge amount...just two or three.

I am going to a meeting this morning before work...

Thank you all for your support.😁

I'm so proud of you.

My father is a functioning alcoholic. I doubt he remembers what it feels like to enjoy an evening without beer in his system. I have a thread on here about it. There's scary things in there. Check it out if you'd like. I went to a number of Adult Children of Alcoholics during that time. They helped because they let me see how much his drinking affected me, as a kid and as an adult. It changes a person.

Keep going. We're in your corner!

If you aren’t shaking or feeling sick then you’ve got no need for medical detox. I have such a hard head it took me having a seizure during a white-knuckle detox for me to seek medical help every time I do fall off the wagon.

I pray you’re someone who gets it early and doesn’t have to go through the fire and flame.

I’m another friend in your corner!

As for the comments on AA’s effectiveness, yes the stats are gruesome but it has been the only sense of relief for me. I’ve been in 6 professional programs and seemingly every medical solution under the sun.

Addiction is horrible and the only cure I’ve found for it is connection...

As for the comments on AA’s effectiveness, yes the stats are gruesome but it has been the only sense of relief for me. I’ve been in 6 professional programs and seemingly every medical solution under the sun.

Addiction is horrible and the only cure I’ve found for it is connection...

Yep, the whole basis for AA is anonymity, so attempting to track and measure people doesn't align with that, and its history of successes and failures are anecdotal. The program is designed for each person to 'work it' into their lives in the way that's most effective for them, and each location forms its own culture and is run differently.

That's why professionals in the substance abuse fields recommend that you give each location at least 3 full open-minded meetings before writing any site off, and if you do that, try another location rather than writing off the program altogether.

Archived