Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to AA...

Going to AA...

Hi all.

I made the decision to give up alcohol fairly recently. Iím not an every day drinker..but I binge drink and when I do Iím just not someone I like, and it scares me. Alcoholism runs in my family as well.

I went to my second meeting today and Iím finding it to be a huge relief. I always heard of AA but never realized how these people just welcome you with no judgement..just understanding. I havenít talked yet. I want to make it to at least 30 meetings and just listen.ive gotten a lot of numbers from the women and have them on standby.

I love the honesty and tranparency of the members. I realized by being there how ashamed Iíve been of my own issues and that I havenít really been honest with myself about how bad things have gotten.

If anyone has any stories please share.
    Wish me luck!

I'm proud of you, JA0371 !!!! You are healing yourself and trying to make your life better. Good luck! You can do this!

I wish I could tell you about AA stories. I just wish those whom I know and knew would've been as courageous and intelligent as you.

Here's to sobriety, good mental and physical health!

I'm really proud of you. You're going to do great. Remember to text those numbers if you are feeling like hitting the bottle.

Now I do drink (rarely, and yes I've gotten drunk) but I can honestly tell you my best times have been sober ones. There is so much fun to be had while sober. Actually, a lot of things I like to do, you really need to be sober for for maximum enjoyment. People who tell you that it's hard to have fun without alcohol either rely on it too much or they aren't looking in the right places for activities.

You are on a bright road.

Thank you girls! Iím excited but I know there will be times Iíll slip.

Iím trying to figure out exactly why I like to drink when I know it will not end well. I think it helps me calm my mind and not think about things I want to forget.

Any suggestions on how to get past the physical withdrawals? Iíve heard eating something with sugar helps?

Try changing your lifestyle, focus on healthier food choices, hydrate with water frequently and exercise daily or regularly.

Consuming sugar causes you to crave even more sugar. Hence, this creates a vicious cycle. Cut out sugar and bad carbs from your diet entirely.

Good luck to you! The first foray into something new can be difficult, but it sounds like you are doing well.

Good on you OP! I canít say enough about 12 step recovery itís saved my life.

Talk to the others in the meetings... get yourself a sponsor and support group... and listen to what they have to say as they have travelled the road already.

One day at a time OP.

Good for you! Your recovery will be a great accomplishment, and you can feel more reward when you are able to help others. It's a great program.

Silver Member
    Good for you! That takes courage and initiative! I wish you well with your progress!

This takes a lot of courage. Hope it helps you feel supported and like you are not alone getting through it and that you can overcome or understand your triggers too. The transparency must be so refreshing. I think seeking knowledge and being open to learning more is the first step...keep it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice