Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to AA...

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by loyal
    Good for you! That takes courage and initiative! I wish you well with your progress!
    Same here!!!

Call it a hot take, but while I'll sing its surface-level group therapy praises night and day, AA isn't an evidenced-based practice, and being frank, there's a reason through its nearly 100 year existence, they've withheld or simply refused to accrue relevant statistics to support its efficacy.

By all means, if you think your binge drinking issues are mild enough that hitting up an AA session every so often gets it out of your system, don't let me be the one to tell you you've got to dig out your insurance card and make an appointment. But if you do catch yourself struggling, I wouldn't let it stand in for a formal clinical regimen.

Silver Member
    Good on you, JA0371! It certainly takes a lot of courage to take that first step. Wishing you all the best!!

Originally Posted by j.man
    Call it a hot take, but while I'll sing its surface-level group therapy praises night and day, AA isn't an evidenced-based practice, and being frank, there's a reason through its nearly 100 year existence, they've withheld or simply refused to accrue relevant statistics to support its efficacy.

By all means, if you think your binge drinking issues are mild enough that hitting up an AA session every so often gets it out of your system, don't let me be the one to tell you you've got to dig out your insurance card and make an appointment. But if you do catch yourself struggling, I wouldn't let it stand in for a formal clinical regimen.
    I can appreciate this caution from a standpoint, OP, of your casual mention of dealing with withdrawal. And alcohol is one of the most dangerous substances from which you can attempt to detox on your own. It put my dad in the ICU with a ripped stomach.

If you are shaking, go to an emergency room or doctor immediately and get yourself assessed, monitored, hydrated and cleansed through a drip. You値l thank yourself later and will have plenty of time to deal with the emotional and lifestyle stuff, which is the role of a support group. Getting yourself clean SAFELY must be the choice that precedes all else, and toughing that out solo is not a safe thing to do. Read up if you doubt this.

We池e in your corner, luv.

Thank you all. I知 not shaking or anything but definitely get the 砥rge...to take the edge off. I致e been working out too..but night time is definitely a time I知 most likely to want to drink. Funny enough..I don稚 usually even drink a huge amount...just two or three.

I am going to a meeting this morning before work...
    Thank you all for your support.😁

I'm so proud of you.

My father is a functioning alcoholic. I doubt he remembers what it feels like to enjoy an evening without beer in his system. I have a thread on here about it. There's scary things in there. Check it out if you'd like. I went to a number of Adult Children of Alcoholics during that time. They helped because they let me see how much his drinking affected me, as a kid and as an adult. It changes a person.

Keep going. We're in your corner!

If you aren稚 shaking or feeling sick then you致e got no need for medical detox. I have such a hard head it took me having a seizure during a white-knuckle detox for me to seek medical help every time I do fall off the wagon.

I pray you池e someone who gets it early and doesn稚 have to go through the fire and flame.

I知 another friend in your corner!

As for the comments on AA痴 effectiveness, yes the stats are gruesome but it has been the only sense of relief for me. I致e been in 6 professional programs and seemingly every medical solution under the sun.

Addiction is horrible and the only cure I致e found for it is connection...

Originally Posted by Scottyman
    As for the comments on AA痴 effectiveness, yes the stats are gruesome but it has been the only sense of relief for me. I致e been in 6 professional programs and seemingly every medical solution under the sun.

Addiction is horrible and the only cure I致e found for it is connection...
    Yep, the whole basis for AA is anonymity, so attempting to track and measure people doesn't align with that, and its history of successes and failures are anecdotal. The program is designed for each person to 'work it' into their lives in the way that's most effective for them, and each location forms its own culture and is run differently.

That's why professionals in the substance abuse fields recommend that you give each location at least 3 full open-minded meetings before writing any site off, and if you do that, try another location rather than writing off the program altogether.

Hey Congrats on your decision. Personally, chocolate seems to do the trick when I get that itch. I'm fighting my demons as well.
    Cheers to the good fight!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice