Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are some effective ways to raise ones self esteem?

God does not respect any one person above another.

2. 07-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Platinum Member
    I used to have really bad self-esteem when I was a teenager and in my early 20's but over time I think it improved more and more. I'm 34 now. I still occasionally feel not great about myself but not that often. Just trying to think what helped me....

I think one thing that definitely helped me with my self-esteem is to surround myself with only kind people who treat me well wherever possible. I was a bit of a people pleaser too and "too nice". I had people treating me badly and using me and I just put up with it. That made my self-esteem even worse. I would highly recommend that if you encounter any people in your life who don't treat you well that you distance yourself from them. Never put up with any bad treatment, even if it's from authority figures like your boss, etc.

Unfortunately the only person that can really gain your self-confidence is you. So you need to start looking after number one! You need to spoil yourself regularly and do things you really enjoy. Once in a while if you can afford it you can do something fancy like go to a nail salon or expensive restaurant. But spoiling yourself can also be on a smaller scale. Like taking a bath, getting your favourite books from the library, walking in the park. It can be anything, I don't know what you like.

I think also feeling confident about your identity can help with self-esteem. As people mentioned, volunteering or working in something you enjoy can make you feel useful. Like you have a purpose in life and you know where you're headed.

I find that receiving compliments can also help. If you ever get compliments try to hold on to them and really believe them. Even if the compliments seem small, they're not, they are about YOU. Like, the other day a woman complimented on my handbag. You would think she was complimenting my bag and not me as a person. But the compliment was really about me because I chose the bag. See what I mean?

Multiple accounts are not allowed. Thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice