Quit smoing 10 days a go, due to it making me ill... friend still lighting up

... and its making me ill.

I practically quit months a go, getting more and more infrequent due to bad headaches. I had a bad headache after smoking 10 days a go and I said... thats it!

I have told my friends it makes me ill and 2nd hand smoke is making me ill... however this friend keeps smoking around me and lighting up. Even when people are eating or I am eating.

Today im supposed to go to a workshop and her lighting up has given me a bad headache and I feel so sad as I was really looking forward to it, now feel sick.

Its her last night here for a while n im supposed to be going to a meal but I cannot really afford to be around people smoking when its making me physically sick.

What do you do in these situations? I feel bad because won't see her for long time and she doesnt know anyone really, however she can go to a bar where she made friends and smoke I guess.

Whats your opinion?

Should I just be honest and say, its made me feel physically sick anytime im spending time with people smoking and I am sorry, but I cannot spend my time getting headaches to spend time with friends... so i don't know if tonight is a good idea? I

Honesty is the best policy, and definitely so in your case. You made it clear upfront how it was affecting your health, and your friend chose not to respect that. You kindly letting them know and excusing yourself is a good move. You took an amazing step in quitting and you have every right to look after your health and continue to make good choices.

Best of luck

Make an appt with a doctor for a checkup if you have persistent headaches. Only go to nonsmoking establishments and avoid being around smokers. That's all you can do.

-bad headaches.

-I had a bad headache

-her lighting up has given me a bad headache

-making me physically sick.

-I cannot spend my time getting headaches

You had a headache after smoking 10 days ago. And you automatically put it down to having smoked. What else did you do that day? Drink less fluids? Dehydrated due to exercise or alcohol consumption?

Since you are an ex smoker , it’s highly unlikely that passive smoking is suddenly a cause of headaches.

Great for you that you quit smoking but as a smoker you also passive smoked? So no your friend smoking is not making you ill.

Step away from the smoking area but you can’t expect someone else not to smoke just because you aren’t.

Did you read what i said at all billy?

I said i quit smoking because of getting bad headaches. Headaches are triggered by smoking. I didnt have a headache today intil she lit up.

I was honest with her n sent her a message about how i was feeling n she said she will spark up away from me in the future. ☺️👍

You quit because of headaches. You need to get to a doctor.

I have had 4 headaches triggered by passive smoking recently. Never used to affect me. Maybe become intolerant to something.
I practically quit months a go, getting more and more infrequent due to bad headaches.
Did you read what i said at all billy?

I said i quit smoking because of getting bad headaches. Headaches are triggered by smoking. I didnt have a headache today intil she lit up.

I was honest with her n sent her a message about how i was feeling n she said she will spark up away from me in the future. ☺️👍

Yes I did.

A smoker smokes and passive smokes.

Why did you decide that smoking gives you headaches?

As I said , it’s great that you quit and also it’s great that your friend has said she won’t light up in front of you.

But the cause of your headaches is still undetermined. You should look into that.

You had a headache after smoking 10 days ago. And you automatically put it down to having smoked. What else did you do that day? Drink less fluids? Dehydrated due to exercise or alcohol consumption?

Since you are an ex smoker , it’s highly unlikely that passive smoking is suddenly a cause of headaches.

Great for you that you quit smoking but as a smoker you also passive smoked? So no your friend smoking is not making you ill.

Step away from the smoking area but you can’t expect someone else not to smoke just because you aren’t.

Sorry, Billie, but I beg to differ. I can definitely tell you that smoking (and even inhaling second hand smoke) can and will cause a headache due to nicotine. You may know that nicotine is a vasoactive substance. That means that it has the ability of changing the diameter of the blood vessels in the brain, and subsequently, causes headaches. I also also tell you that, in my case, inhaling second hand smoke causes my nose and throat to be come irritated which, in turn, causes an allergic reaction which makes me gag and nauseated. So, OP is correct in stating that that headaches result when subjected to people who smoke and second hand smoke.

Honesty is the best policy, and definitely so in your case. You made it clear upfront how it was affecting your health, and your friend chose not to respect that. You kindly letting them know and excusing yourself is a good move. You took an amazing step in quitting and you have every right to look after your health and continue to make good choices.

Best of luck

I agree with this 100%. Your friend is very disrespectful and inconsiderate towards you, OP. Don't feel bad. Your friend, apparently, doesn't care that her smoke makes you sick. Take care of yourself, and keep up your great work!

Wish it was completely prohibited to smoke anyhwere in public. Smokers wanna destroy their health- great! but at least have the decency and respect to do it in the confinement of your own walls. No need to subject others to your unhealthy habits. Especially when its in areas where you just cannot avoid passive smoking such as train stations and such. You never know if a woman you smoke around is newly pregnant and passive-smoking in early pregnancy (and any other stage in pregnancy for that matter) can be very dangerous to the fetus. Just one of the many reasons it should be completely prohibited in public.

Obviously Billie is a smoker hence his negativity toward you OP! People who smoke do have the tendency to get overly sensitive and offended if someone says anything slightly negative about smoking. And definitely get rid of that friend if she keeps disrespecting you/your health.

In the US smoking hasn't been allowed in many/most public places for quite a while. NYC and San Francisco often lead the way with these type of laws. SF just banned vaping. So it's best to avoid places where there are smokers and of course avoid smokers. The airlines banned it eons ago. Now they are considering banning alcohol service because the great majority of on-board cabin incidents involve alcohol.

Thanks for those that are understanding :)

I didn't have headaches before these things, but did after.

Seems friend is understanding now too. Which is lovely.

No one wants to smoke... really... deep down. Its a disgusting habit and the longer I am away from them the more i'm realising it. I feel ashamed i did it for so long.

Hopefully this is a turning point for the better :)

Seems friend is understanding now too. Which is lovely.

Glad to hear.

My experience with people is that most—smokers, non-smokers, former smokers—are pretty understanding when we are honest and non-judgmental. Those who aren't tend to be the exception, not the rule.

No need to be ashamed for having been a smoker, or even make assumptions about how every smoker feels about the habit. It's a thing you did, and now you don't, and prefer not to be around. Terrific. Others will make different choices. Equally terrific.

Best of luck on the nicotine-free journey. Sounds like you have some good friends. Forming and sustaining those relationships is about the best habit there is.

Archived