Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No compromise?

Finance hat. I'm sorry but I'm concerned about your mother spending small amount of money she has on a family trip when she should be saving/investing it or putting it towards a rainy day. I'm not ok with the idea of an older woman spending money on her grown children for a family trip which is fleeting. All of you should be footing your own bills, tickets, paying for your own meals and taking your mother out.

But your question wasn't about how to manage money. It was about your girlfriend. She's entitled to think and do as she pleases and so are you. It sounds like things are respectful enough between the both of you but there is the danger of things becoming a bit too heated or spiraling out into heated arguments. If you ask me, she's very annoyed with you and your family for mixing up or overlapping the dates. You should be able to advise your mum or chat with her about altering the dates so that it works for everyone but I'm not sure you're comfortable doing that because you seem to feel sorry for your mum and her financial state. This brings me back to managing money again.

If you really want this problem to go away do two things: do not overlap dates, do not accept money or handouts from your mother. This amount is too small to waste on a group trip.

Is there a way that the two of you can have your week long personal holiday near the same vicinity and then join the family for 2 days out of the week?

I see both sides. The family vacation is rare opportunity and I get why she might not want to be the outsider amongst all of you for an entire week. I get this seems like great fun to you, but she might not see it the same way.

I love my bf's family but I'd much rather have a vacation alone with my bf, rather than spending an entire week with them. However, I would be considerate to his wishes and would want to come up with a compromise.

Platinum Member
    Go on a holiday with your mom. go on a separate one with your significant other. Do not intermingle the times. If i were in those shoes, I would not find a vacation with my guy's family a relaxing time. I would always be on alert about how they are perceiving me. And we would not get any romantic time. I would need a vacation after that to recover from it. and pay your way with mom - and have your siblings do the same - maybe a shorter trip, too

Your GF doesn't have extra vacay time to indulge the wishes of others, and you do. So carry out the plans you made with GF and indulge your Mom on a different week.

Simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice