Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Grammar question

BecxyRex

I'm currently translating a website into english, but am not entirely sure on comma use in this instance. I'm wanting to apply commas as if it was my native language, but sometimes I'm not sure. Maybe you can help me out.

I'm looking for instances with the word "that" to expand upon a sentence. For example "We are creating a beautiful working environment, that's enriched by...blabla" Is there a comma before "that" or no?

Thank you! I hope this type of question is allowed.

I'm currently translating a website into english, but am not entirely sure on comma use in this instance. I'm wanting to apply commas as if it was my native language, but sometimes I'm not sure. Maybe you can help me out.

I'm looking for instances with the word "that" to expand upon a sentence. For example "We are creating a beautiful working environment, that's enriched by...blabla" Is there a comma before "that" or no?

Thank you! I hope this type of question is allowed.

You could also say "We are creating a beautiful working environment, which is enriched by..."

You could also say "We are creating a beautiful working environment, which is enriched by..."

"which is" and "that is" carry distinct meanings here.

I would use "that is" if what follows is part of what they are creating in the working environment. "That is" suggests that what follows is restricted to the previous part of the sentence - the working environment they are creating.

But if you say "which is" then you are suggesting that what follows is additional to, but not a direct result of or part of the preceding.

Archived