Hello,

I got dumped 10 days ago. This was the 3th time my ex-GF (24) dumped me. I'm 28 years old and I feel like I have wasted 4 precious years of my life on someone who doesn't deserve my love.

She first dumped me in may 2015 to go back to her ex-BF (exactly 1 day after she dumped me, she was back together with her ex, like ?), 4 months later we got back together. She explained to me that she made a big mistake and that she knew I was the one for her. Eventually I believed her and we stayed together for 3 years. We had a very good 3 years, her family loved me, my friends loved her and we became best friends and lovers.

Until the beginning of 2018 I noticed something was off. She wasn't that in love anymore, she didn't do that much effort to see me and finally in september 2018 she broke up with me.

I was completely heartbroken, didn't know what to do with my life. I never thought she would end us, I thought we were one of those couples who would stayed together until the end..

I focused my healing on getting her back. I tried to be positive, to do cool things, to be the person she once fell in love for. I went out every day of the weekend.

I think the problem was that I didn't focused on my own healing, I just wanted to proof to her that I was okay.

Six months later I was doing okay. I still loved her, but apparently she was sleeping around with a lot of guys, so I tried to move on and forget her. My family also warned me to not get back together because history had proven she would hurt my feelings again.. I wouldn't say I was happy 6 months later, but I certainly wasn't unhappy anymore. I realized that their was a life for me without her and slowly the memories of her fainted away. But deep down, I was still waiting for her..

We broke up for 7 months and got back together in march 2019. She said she missed me and missed the stability I offered in her life. We promised to communicate much more than in the past. And not make the same mistakes we once made.

Things were great again for 3 months, she even insisted on going on a holiday. I thought it was soon, but I saw she didn't like it that I doubt her intentions, so we went on a holiday.

The holiday was great, our best one so far. But when we came back she apparently told a friend of hers that the old problems of the previous relationship were coming back. (I did not felt this way at all) 3 days later she broke up with me for the 3th time over the phone. I asked for a final conversation face to face to talk about things, but she said she didn't had the energy for this. She needed to focus on her own problems (she is seeing a psychologist for 3 months but won't tell anyone why, not even her mother) and she didn't had time for "our problems". After she dumped me she went out 2 nights in a row until morning and this weekend she did the same thing. It hurts my feelings a lot, hearing that she is doing "well". How can you tell someone that you love him so much and you'll stay by his side forever and break up with him 3 days later? I really don't get it, it kills me inside :(.

My family says she's a toxic person, who is egocentric. My grandparents, parents and sister told me to never talk to her again. I know they are right, but it hurts so much. Somewhere deep down I still love her and I want her to come to my house today and tell me she made a stupid mistake so all of this pain inside can go away :(. My family also warned me that she would come back again, like she has always done in the past after some months of NC.

I even talked to her ex'es and they told me the same thing happened to them. She can make you feel like you are the best person on the world, but can walk away later on like it's nothing for her.

I gave everything for this person, even more that I could give. She was the love of my life. How will I ever find someone again?

Did someone else felt this way once? Help me :(

My family also warned me to not get back together because history had proven she would hurt my feelings again.

My family also warned me that she would come back again, like she has always done in the past after some months of NC.

I even talked to her ex'es and they told me the same thing happened to them.

My family says she's a toxic person, who is egocentric. My grandparents, parents and sister told me to never talk to her again. I know they are right.

I'm glad you have finally reached a point where you know that your family are right, because they are!

This time you need to listen to them. If you get back with her again you're broadcasting to everyone that you're a pathetic fool who will keep going back to someone that repeatedly hurts him. Don't be that guy.

She was the love of my life. How will I ever find someone again?

You've only been with her for 4 years, during which time she has dumped you 3 times. She's not the love of your life. It may feel like it now, but she isn't.

And you will find someone again, but it's pointless to look for another serious relationship until you are fully over this one.

The way to do that is by going no-contact. But do it properly this time. However you have been finding out that she's going out on weekends etc, you need to block that out also. No checking up on her social media etc. Completely cut her out.

Hard to do I know, but it's the fastest way to start moving on.

And obviously don't respond to her when she tries to come back into your life, which she will do after her next fling doesn't work out.

Good luck!

@Pikachu. I don't say this often but that, good fellow, is a rotten apple. I don't know if she has been damaged by someone or more than one person before you or if she's just a rotten apple and always has been but it appears she gets what she wants from you, gets herself feeling stable then moves on. She gets what she needs from the next guy (or they get what they need from her and discard her) and she comes trotting right back to you to get stable again. That is, apart from the 3 years. That part is interesting to me. If I were you, I would change my number, get rid of all social media and maybe even change my address if shes likely to rock up on your doorstep at any stage, and forget her.

Failing that, if you at some stage feel like you will get back with her, go and see a psychologist together, not a couples therapist but someone with a degree who can help map out her behaviour and get to the root cause of why shes doing this to you. She will continue to use you as a door mat until you leave or she gets help.

@Pikachu. I don't say this often but that, good fellow, is a rotten apple. I don't know if she has been damaged by someone or more than one person before you or if she's just a rotten apple and always has been but it appears she gets what she wants from you, gets herself feeling stable then moves on. She gets what she needs from the next guy (or they get what they need from her and discard her) and she comes trotting right back to you to get stable again. That is, apart from the 3 years. That part is interesting to me. If I were you, I would change my number, get rid of all social media and maybe even change my address if shes likely to rock up on your doorstep at any stage, and forget her.

Failing that, if you at some stage feel like you will get back with her, go and see a psychologist together, not a couples therapist but someone with a degree who can help map out her behavior and get to the root cause of why shes doing this to you. She will continue to use you as a door mat until you leave or she gets help.

She has been in 3 relationships so far, and she broke up with each 3 of us a minimum of 2 times. She has never been dumped herself. So all together, I think she ended a LT-relationship 6 or 7 times. And always with the same excuse; I can't be myself, you don't understand me.

The problem with her is, that if you point something out that you don't like about her behavior, she can't seem to put herself in her partner's perspective. She always responds with the same thing: You don't understand me, I can't be myself.

I'm sorry but taking someone back that obv cheated on you with her ex was a dumb mistake. You became the safety net and it was so easy to sway you. Have more self respect next time and never let someone discard you like that repeatedly and still go back.

Dumping you on the phone was such bs, she clearly didn't respect you, but then please learn from this and never do this again. Block her, you need to be done with her constantly using and abusing your heart. Stay away and love yourself more.

I understand you completely. I broke up with my boyfriend (the first love of my life) 6 months ago, we were together for more than 8 years. I was really afraid to be single/alone, but as you can see I’m alive and well. I'm not saying break ups are easy, but with every day it gets a little better.

Cut her out of your life and focus on yourself. Good luck!

She has been in 3 relationships so far, and she broke up with each 3 of us a minimum of 2 times. She has never been dumped herself. So all together, I think she ended a LT-relationship 6 or 7 times. And always with the same excuse; I can't be myself, you don't understand me.

The problem with her is, that if you point something out that you don't like about her behavior, she can't seem to put herself in her partner's perspective. She always responds with the same thing: You don't understand me, I can't be myself.

Pathological insecurity at it's finest. She pushes people away before they have a chance to push her away. Something made her like this. She really needs some help if she is ever to be happy in a relationship.

She is not the love of your life, OP. You must stop selling yourself that story. It's a false narrative.

The love of your life wouldn't dump you three times and treat you like her toy. You desperately need to stay away from this woman, and start working on you. Your self-esteem has taken a beating and you have lowered your standards far too much. She can't make the pain go away when she is one causing your pain.

If she comes back, be prepared for this to happen all over again. She isn't in love with you; not in the way someone should be to sustain a healthy and long-term relationship, anyway. She will thus bounce again when she's had her fill of you.

Time to stop wasting your life on her. You're still very young with plenty of better options, if you'll let yourself open up to them. She isn't the one you're going to eventually settle down with, so it's better to get off the merry-go-round now before all the horses fly off the wheel.

I just want to give you a hug and tell that everything will be alright - because it will!

I have maybe not been in your exact situation, but wanting to be with somebody that you know is bad for you is a very familiar feeling. And knowing that she is bad for you is not the same as feeling it, but it is a step of the way I think.

She was not THE love of your life. She's probably just one of the women you will love in your life. Even if it seems like the most incomprehensible thing right know - you will fall in love again, because that is just how our biology works. Take it from someone who thought they would never fall in love again after my boyfriend of 10 years broke up 1,5 year ago and who is now heartbroken about someone else (jippi right?) :) And don't look at this as wasted years or a failure in a any way. This was just as long as your relationship with her was meant to last. You know some love stories are novels, some a short stories and some limericks. There is nothing wrong with either and none are wasted, because you learn something about what you want or don't want in a relationship, you learn about yourself and how you act in some situations and with certain types of people. It all adds up and makes you wiser.

So hang in there - and as others have said, cut the contact with her at least for a while. I know that it sucks! But it really is the best way to get over someone. And you are allowed to think that the world is incredibly unfair for putting you through this - I think it is too, but I still believe that it might all make sense some day :)

In our 20's we tend to go through what they call kharmic relationships, those relationship that we almost know we should not be in, but we cannot seem to help outselves with. These are often on and off again relationships that are not destined to last.

What the do for us is help us realch a breaking point, that point where we understand out limits of what we wand and what we are not prepared to accept. In a sense they are supposed to happen for us to learn, and they are supposed to end.

So, it feels bad yes that you seemed to have wasted this time with this person, but that is just the misery of the breakup talking. In a year, when you look back on this relationship, you will have been hindsight of what went on and how it has actually improved your life.

All I can suggest is to stop the blame game and kick start the healing process as soon as you can. The sooner you heal, the sooner you will likely be ready and open for a more stable and happier relationship. Just a warning, if you do not heal fully, or jump in with someone else in an attempt to heal that way, and you will just end up in another kharmic relationship destined to end. Do yourself a favour and get to know yourself again fully. And when you are ready, and you are in a better place, the right kind of people will start to appear in your surroundings.

My brother experienced this in his early 20s.

I don't have time to get into the details, only to say that he was utterly devastated when it ended, locked himself in his room for entire summer, fell into a deep depression.

Sadly he never sought therapy or any sort of professional help.

He eventually recovered (on the surface) but has not been able to sustain a relationship since. He is now in his 40s!

Once he begins feeling close to a woman, or a woman wants a "relationship" with him, he runs.

It's very sad because he wants a close intimate relationship so so much, but his fears and anxieties due to past experience prevents this.

OP, DON't be that guy. Find the strength to leave this woman and seek help, seriously. Or you will forever be emotionally damaged like my brother which I am sure is the last thing you want.

The problem is that in a healthy relationship, both partners make little sacrifices for each other. I don't experience this is a sacrifice, because it's something my partner appreciates and makes her love me more. When I ask something of her, she always responds in the same way: "You need to take me as I am" --> My way or the highway. Seeing her partying this weekend and even the day she broke up with me only tells me one thing: She doesn't love me the same way I love her. Other wise she would fight for us or at least talk to me and not calling it off the moment we got into an argument. When I look back on the 4 years I know her, I was 2 years really really happy but I also felt miserable for 2 years. That's not normal, this can't be a normal healthy relationship.

I hope someday I will look at my new partner and be glad my current ex dumped me. I know that everyone here will tell me, you will get to this point someday. But right now, I can't imagine how I will ever feel this way again about someone else.

I hope someday I will look at my new partner and be glad my current ex dumped me. I know that everyone here will tell me, you will get to this point someday. But right now, I can't imagine how I will ever feel this way again about someone else.

Cheers to that. I am hoping for the same thing myself. Took me a year to get over my last ex.

You need to decide if this is a point you want to get to OP. Everyone on here that has moved on from their ex made the decision to do so and took steps to move away from that relationship. You have been choosing to wait around for her to somehow become the person you want her to be... choosing to martyr yourself and focus on her and her behavior instead of looking at your own and the reasons you continue to hang on to something that isn't working.

People grab on to the fantasy of what a relationship could be, the potential of a person, to avoid dealing with the pain of surrender and letting go because their reality totally sucks for whatever reason. At the end of the day you need to go through those feelings and accept the relationship doesn't work and be willing to let it go if you want to move on. And as you are discovering, letting go doesn't just happen... you need to work at it, consistently, letting go of the fantasy and grounding yourself in reality over and over again until you come to that place of acceptance. It's painful and hard but you will get through it, we all have, and are better for it in the end.

When you finally learn what a healthy relationship really feels like, you will probably favorably compare that girlfriend to your ex, OP.

You’ll wonder why you kept going back to someone who wasn’t good for you.

Believe me, this ex of yours is no prize.

I don't experience this is a sacrifice, because it's something my partner appreciates and makes her love me more.

Obviously not. This is a key belief to disabuse yourself of. When you're willing to play the role of a doormat, it makes no sense to be surprised when someone walks right over you to seek someone else who owns self respect.

There's no time like the present to start respecting yourself.

Im sorry, I had to laugh when you asked "will I ever find someone again?" Are you asking if you will ever find someone who treated you badly ever again? If that is what you are asking... sure you will. You can always find someone who will treat you horribly and hurt you again. That's easy.

Now if you want to find someone who is more emotionally stable. Yes you can find someone who will make you happy. But to do that, you must put this girl behind you. Its hard to have a free flowing of love if you still secretly want your X.

Now about your relationship what can I say? You were warned and you decided everyone was wrong and your heart was right. In the words of Dr Phil. Hows that working out for you? I know you are feeling bad but you are at a crossroads. And you will eventually have to chose a side. To the left a life without this woman.. That means you cut all ties with her, you tell her to have a good life and you leave no cords attached to her. Or 2. You decide to have this woman in your life and all the pain, baggage, troubles, sadness that comes with it will follow. You can rationalize it by saying that she was the best GF ever or when things were good they were the best or the sex was great or whatever, but know that if she remains in your life, even thru social media. Pain and sadness will follow you.

You currently have the power to choose. You and you alone decide. Question is.. have you learned from your mistakes and which road are you going to take?

Im sorry, I had to laugh when you asked "will I ever find someone again?" Are you asking if you will ever find someone who treated you badly ever again? If that is what you are asking... sure you will. You can always find someone who will treat you horribly and hurt you again. That's easy.

Now if you want to find someone who is more emotionally stable. Yes you can find someone who will make you happy. But to do that, you must put this girl behind you. Its hard to have a free flowing of love if you still secretly want your X.

Now about your relationship what can I say? You were warned and you decided everyone was wrong and your heart was right. In the words of Dr Phil. Hows that working out for you? I know you are feeling bad but you are at a crossroads. And you will eventually have to chose a side. To the left a life without this woman.. That means you cut all ties with her, you tell her to have a good life and you leave no cords attached to her. Or 2. You decide to have this woman in your life and all the pain, baggage, troubles, sadness that comes with it will follow. You can rationalize it by saying that she was the best GF ever or when things were good they were the best or the sex was great or whatever, but know that if she remains in your life, even thru social media. Pain and sadness will follow you.

You currently have the power to choose. You and you alone decide. Question is.. have you learned from your mistakes and which road are you going to take?

I know there is only one way now, but it’s still a painful way. I should hate her for the way she played with my feelings, but the problem is that I still love her. It’s hard to go from being in love 2 weeks ago and going to “I don’t ever wanna be with her again”. I’m aware it will take time, but deep down I know I did everything to try to make it work

I know there is only one way now, but it’s still a painful way. I should hate her for the way she played with my feelings, but the problem is that I still love her. It’s hard to go from being in love 2 weeks ago and going to “I don’t ever wanna be with her again”. I’m aware it will take time, but deep down I know I did everything to try to make it work

Just because you love them, that doesn't equate to a good and healthy relationship. You can have a love for your X, but for you to be in another relationship you cant be IN love with your X. Remember that we are pieces of everyone we have ever met. We accept the good and we discard the bad. Don't keep the bad with you because you feel that's your one last remaining connection to your X. If you know you did your best, then hold your head up high but it still remains a fact, this person should not be in your life.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Day 33 of no contact. The overwhelming pain is gone, but there is still the struggle between the heart and the mind. I know she’s not good for me and I need to let her go, but I just still love her very much. I’m afraid she is seeing someone new, but it know this shouldn’t bother me because we ain’t getting back together.. I wish this pain would just go away

Archived