Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Life in the Driverís Seat (extended)

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Are you OK?
    Yes, I am good. Today isnít bad we are outside working on the play structure. I will post a pic when done. I have to pick up my anxiety prescription because there is no delivery on the weekends.

I am just afraid to ever go back to the US when I see people defying orders, out all over the place, mass protests of thousands of people for Covid and other issues,rampant violence. It sets off my PTSD and it makes me never want to come again. My husband says I am ridiculous, but for other countries looking in itís terrifying. And I love the American people so it is sad.

It's not nationwide. Yes, there are issues for sure. But in my part of the country we are all pretty much peacefully co-existing. Not everyone is wearing masks when walking outside, but we are all REQUIRED to wear masks inside any retail establishment or when picking up takeout food. There are a few ignorant people (like the guy who tried to get into the checkout line in front of me when I was keeping 6 feet of distance...he didn't know why I was standing back so far! Well, duh! But that was ignorance, not willful disregard IMO) and of course pockets of people who insist requiring masks violate their civil rights but it's not everyone despite what the news might show. Same with the protests. It's not everyone, just some areas.

People are frustrated and frightened and angry. And sadly, our national leadership is not stepping up in a strong manner but many state leaders are stepping up in a good way.

But, you don't have to visit until you are ready. The good people will still be here :)

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Have to stop watching the news I can feel my internal panic ratcheting up.

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    I never watch that crap. It pollutes my mind.

For sure, happens to me too.
    I set aside a little time each day to get basic updates on what's going on, then that's it.
    I have a few " cute happy" things on my feed too so I get a daily dose of something nice after reading news.
    And I avoid people going off giving opinions about controversial things. That makes me so stressed, and unheard, so forget it.

I can't wait to see the play structure! Great project, and going to make a lot of kids happy.
    I have my garden now to go to when anxiety creeps up, and going to plant fruit trees this year. Lots of outside stuff to do now that it is nice out, thank god.

Originally Posted by Jibralta
    I never watch that crap. It pollutes my mind.
    True. I need to watch less. It is just that my husband is an extremely avid news watcher. He was raised in a very news, politically focussed family, me not so much. But my husband is very very political. I would forever have to be in my bedroom to avoid the news.

Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    For sure, happens to me too.
    I set aside a little time each day to get basic updates on what's going on, then that's it.
    I have a few " cute happy" things on my feed too so I get a daily dose of something nice after reading news.
    And I avoid people going off giving opinions about controversial things. That makes me so stressed, and unheard, so forget it.

I can't wait to see the play structure! Great project, and going to make a lot of kids happy.
    I have my garden now to go to when anxiety creeps up, and going to plant fruit trees this year. Lots of outside stuff to do now that it is nice out, thank god.
    Yeah ,I just want little snippets of information like financial stuff ,how the province is going to open, those kinds of things. But my husband likes the news in all itís gory glory. But the past week has just been so distressing on the news. My husband cant ever understand how I am an avid horror movie watcher but canít watch reality.

I canít wait for the play structure to be done too!! I am pretty excited. I think the kids are going to love it too. Would love to have a garden and the Housing Authority has just pretty much said we are allowed to have them now.

I don't have TV service set up in my new apartment yet so I have been rewatching some of my DVDs. When I perused my DVD library I realized 95% of them are horror movies. I usually love scary movies but right now the real world is scaring me enough. I had to really search my collection to find something that wasn't a horror movie. Last night was James Bond.

Once I feel comfortable doing so I will visit the nursery to find plants for my very small balcony. I can grow things here!

I'm sure gardening will be a lot of fun for you! I love to garden too although I am not good at it.

It is just that my husband is an extremely avid news watcher.
    I would forever have to be in my bedroom to avoid the news.
    I understand. I grew up in a household where my mom kept the TV on all day, just for 'background noise." That in itself stressed me out, believe it or not, even though it wasn't all news.

When I moved out, I took my TV, but I never hooked it up. I couldn't bring myself to disturb the quiet. The lack of constant chatter, the lack of commercials vying for my attention, was so peaceful.

I still don't have my TV 'properly' hooked up, and when I visit my mom or my sister and the constant yammer of their respective television sets BOY can I feel the stress ratchet up!

When I visit my stepmother it can get even worse, because she blasts the news! Uggghh!!! Then she gets all amped up....But thankfully, she hardly has the TV on. Usually, she only indulges at the end of the night.

Anyway, when I'm stuck in those situations, I often excuse myself to a quiet place where I can hear my own thoughts. There is no other escape.

When I perused my DVD library I realized 95% of them are horror movies. I usually love scary movies but right now the real world is scaring me enough. I had to really search my collection to find something that wasn't a horror movie.
    I used to watch a lot of true crime shows when I was growing up. They're so engrossing!

But at some point, I realized that they weren't doing anything good for my mental health.

It was so long ago that I can't remember exactly how I came to that conclusion.

But I know it during a time when I was experiencing a lot of anxiety, and this awful sleeplessness.... I'd get to sleep and wake up in the middle of the night by feelings of intense dread.... It was torturous.

I never had nightmares about the programs.... I really enjoyed them, actually. But I figured it couldn't be helping me to introduce horror stories into my mind.

So, I began to avoid programming that was based on violence. I still don't really indulge.

I don't have TV service set up in my new apartment yet so I have been rewatching some of my DVDs. When I perused my DVD library I realized 95% of them are horror movies. I usually love scary movies but right now the real world is scaring me enough. I had to really search my collection to find something that wasn't a horror movie. Last night was James Bond.

Once I feel comfortable doing so I will visit the nursery to find plants for my very small balcony. I can grow things here!

I'm sure gardening will be a lot of fun for you! I love to garden too although I am not good at it.
    Yeah ,I havenít watched any horror movies right now either. The apocalypse happening outside is enough.

Right now itís too late to put in a vegetable garden by a couple weeks because it wouldnít have enough time to grow. Canada has such a small growing season. But I will be able to next year. I want to get the big garden boxes my husband can actually make me one and do it as like something to do with the kids. I was going to do that this year with the kids too. I think itís important to teach them to grow their own food. Back when we had our own place we always had a garden. We started teaching our son when he was three how to plant and to maintain a vegetable garden. I doubt he remembers now because weíve been here 10 years next month. We left our other home when he was 12. I got my love of gardening from my dad who in turn got it from his father. Ha! I remember something good my dad taught me!

Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51525354555657 ... LastLast

Videos

What Is Good To Know About The First Date

Online Dating Websites Most Frequently Used By Older Adults

Blogging Helps New Moms Handle Parental Stress

What Do Men And Women Want In A Relationship?

Benefits Of Online Education

Talking To Children Is Better Than Reading To Them
Give Advice
Ask For Advice