LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name change?

Platinum Member
    If you believe that changing your name will make you happier, I say go for it.

A former colleagueís wife changed her name ages ago to her childhood nickname. When my colleague first introduced me to her as Skippy (not the actual name, but itís along the same lines as her actual name), I thought he was referring to her as Skippy as a form of pet name/term of endearment. But no, I learned quickly it was her actual name. I guess she enjoyed her childhood nickname so much, and more than her actual name, that she decided to change it.

I used to hate my first name, especially when I was younger, because it was different and practically unheard of. When I was 5, I asked my parents why they chose such a weird name, but now Iíve come to appreciate its uniqueness.

As a side note/some comic relief, for some reason LHGirlís comment above about the name Buttercup made me think of the Friends episode when Phoebe legally changed her name to Princess Consuelos Banana Hammock. Gawd I luv that show. Sorry...silly rant over. ✌️

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by abitbroken
    A lot of people don't care for their middle names and it does't matter because no one calls them it, and they only use it on legal documents.
    What about having new people call you a nickname of your choosing? I obviously don't know your name but let's say its Esmerelda and your family and colleagues call you Esme, well then for new people you meet fresh - not someone new at work - but let's say a new sports team or book group, introduce yourself as the new nickname. Say you want to be called AJ or Becky or Jen - then go by that. I think it will help you try it out before you do anything drastic. BTW< i dislike my first name, but I like the standard nickname that goes with it. (there are two equally common nicknames for the name)
    that way you can decide if you TRULY like it before you change it

Platinum Member
    One close friend changed her name to her foreign name when she married and also changed her last name. Another friend added a prefix to her name (like Maryjane instead of Jane) randomly and would answer to both - that was a little harder to adjust to. When I changed my last name to my married name some people still used my maiden name or hyphenated which I sometimes corrected. And my poor mother once sent me a check for my bday to my maiden name. It just takes time is all. Iíd just be patient with people who get it wrong. It was kind of a pain for me to change anything because it was my last trimester and I was waddling in and out of government offices. Also my married name is so much more googlable than my maiden. I liked being more incognito! Go for it if you have the time to do it.

If you'll live with your first name because everyone knows you by that name anyway as you say, I wouldn't change your middle name because no one identifies nor calls you by your middle name. A middle name is just there for important documents to make it official. However, you'll never use it everyday. It would be a hassle and expense to go through all that trouble just to change your middle name. Why bother?

Unfortunately it would be a huge hassle but it won't fix the underlying problem. Therapy would help resolve that much better. Use a cute nickname and embrace who you are. Names don't change that.
    Originally Posted by JA0371
    my mother gave it to me but I still donít like it.To be honest I am estranged from my mother right now and I think it magnifies my feelings even more so because it bothers me.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Unfortunately it would be a huge hassle but it won't fix the underlying problem. Therapy would help resolve that much better. Use a cute nickname and embrace who you are. Names don't change that.
    Could not agree more

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice