Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok for a man in his mid 40ís-early 50ís to party?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    @Hollyj, They drink after work, on weekends and dispose their bags of alcoholic glass beverage bottles under the cover of darkness during the wee hours of the morning while it's still night. They don't want anyone to know they drink. Some drinkers are embarrassed and ashamed by it. A lot of people drink and it doesn't matter what their age. Their sons drink and smoke like chimneys. Whatever they do is fine with me as long as they don't drive drunk and infringe upon my right to road safety.
    My in-laws drink almost daily and have done so for decade upon decade . When we were on holidays once and they looked after our house for a week I came back to six wine bottles sitting on my counter ! My mother-in-law even told me she drank a bottle of wine every Sunday when she was pregnant with my husband . 😳

Platinum Member
    @Hollyj, They drink after work, on weekends and dispose their bags of alcoholic glass beverage bottles under the cover of darkness during the wee hours of the morning while it's still night. They don't want anyone to know they drink. Some drinkers are embarrassed and ashamed by it. A lot of people drink and it doesn't matter what their age. Their sons drink and smoke like chimneys. Whatever they do is fine with me as long as they don't drive drunk and infringe upon my right to road safety.
    Do they set their alarms to throw the bottles out?

Goodness, one would think that something would click, when one would have to throw out bottles at these crazy hours.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    My in-laws drink almost daily and have done so for decade upon decade . When we were on holidays once and they looked after our house for a week I came back to six wine bottles sitting on my counter ! My mother-in-law even told me she drank a bottle of wine every Sunday when she was pregnant with my husband . 😳
    Wow!!!!!!!!!

The guy, Mr. of the house or the dad wakes up at the crack of dawn 365 days out of the year. He NEVER sleeps in past 4:30AM rain or shine.

Unfortunately, there is stigma attached to high functioning alcoholics or alcoholics so they try their best to conceal their addiction.

The guy, Mr. of the house or the dad wakes up at the crack of dawn 365 days out of the year. He NEVER sleeps in past 4:30AM rain or shine.

Unfortunately, there is stigma attached to high functioning alcoholics or alcoholics so they try their best to conceal their addiction.
    yes unless itís cultural right?

Platinum Member
    To answer your question OP

Itís really up to him. If this is his Norm regardless of how old he is be lucky that you donít have to live it with him.

Iíll be honest and say itís sad that heís an alcoholic. Itís a disease not easily cured. I watched a neighbor go through this. He battled the bottle every day. My former friends father is an alcoholic, I met my friend when I was 10. Her father worked in construction during the duration I knew her from age 10-27. He would get up at 4:00 am every morning and have downed six beers before noon. Get home and hit the hard liquor until he went to bed.

He was very funny and friendly drunk. When he was sober he was nasty as could be!

For my friends 21st birthday he gave her $200 to strictly spend on alcohol.

The problem was he was high functioning so he was in denial along with her and the rest of the family. Iím sure they knew he was an alcoholic but because he couldnít see it or get help for himself, the family just swept it under the rug. Meanwhile his siblings are dying left and right from the same addiction.

This guy you know itís nice you donít have to be in a committed relationship with him and be dragged down that dark road. Believe me itís a dark road.

Not sure what I'm missing here, but he's an EX, so I don't quite understand what the issue is?? ~need a confused smiley~

Platinum Member
    No, I wouldn't be down with that much alcohol consumption.

Good thing he's an ex, OP.

Platinum Member
    If partying means getting drunk I donít think itís ok at any age on a regular basis. I think itís great for people of all ages to have an active social life with family responsibilities and work coming first (more family of course and whether the person has children or otherwise )

This isn't "partying" it's alcoholism. The good news is he's an ex and you got out and can delete and block him. Google AlAnon. Educate yourself on problem drinking, binge drinking and alcoholism.
    Originally Posted by Gymgirl71
    He would drink heavy every weekend, drinking all weekend long and at LEAST 2 days during the week.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice