Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Career Change...

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    Just to add something different to the convo, I'm thinking of all the context of your life right now, and that this would be another huge life stressor ( maybe positive, but still a stressor that adds an element of instability).
    I can't tell you what is right for you. I do know for me, when my mom's illness was nearing its final stages, and afterwards, it was so helpful to have something that felt solid in my life to not have to worry about.
    It's another aspect to think about. You recognize the spark here - you feel this pull to criminal justice and to expanding your role. That's awesome!! This isn't the only path nor opportunity for that, remember. You can pursue that whether you say yes or decline this particular opportunity.
    Thank you grand, I find myself reading this over and over, it really hits home.

I do feel the pull, which is why I applied to the part-time job in the first place, I certainly did not need the extra money, although it's nice to have. :)

And now that I have gotten exposure, I'm more drawn to it than ever.

At the end of day, it's a great way to gain experience in the field; without that, it would very difficult to sell myself to a larger firm, even with my many years of civil.

I could do this for a year, gain solid experience, then apply to the larger firms offering more stability, money, benefits.

Some may view this as a somewhat chaotic choice with all I have currently going on, and that's true.

But knowing myself, it's a good positive chaos and may take my mind off all the negative chaos if that makes sense. It does to me.

Have not made up my mind yet, still considering my options, and really appreciate everyone's thoughts while I sort this out.

I will update after making decision!

Originally Posted by katrina1980
    Some may view this as a somewhat chaotic choice with all I have currently going on, and that's true.

But knowing myself, it's a good positive chaos and may take my mind off all the negative chaos if that makes sense. It does to me.
    This makes sense to me, generally. I'll admit the rub here is that, in your first post, you brought some of that other chaos into this one in mentioning that your boyfriend is down with you moving in with him.

You don't want to move for financial reasons, I get it. But you two have, by the sounds of it, at least talked about the move in parallel to this job—that a plus would be a softening of the new financial reality.

Lots of moving pieces, is all I'm saying. Sometimes in those moments its hard to know when one is nudging against the other, even when we think we've got them all in separate compartments.

All that said, it sounds like this experience with the new lawyer has been a good one—kind of came about organically, opened up some new portals inside you, stirred some waters, perhaps scratching the same itch that London had scratched, but not quite in the right way. And that's great. But he's hardly the only opportunity in criminal law, so maybe he's less the next move than the chapter that gets you focused on that.

This alone would be a "No" for me.
    Originally Posted by katrina1980
    he can't pay me nearly as much as my job now, and my lifestyle would change dramatically because of it. I'd have to move from a beautiful apt on the bay paying $1750 per month to a small studio no more than $1000 per month or even less.

Platinum Member
    Also check what he can offer you for family leave since you said you want to try to get pregnant.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    Also check what he can offer you for family leave since you said you want to try to get pregnant.
    All of Batya's posts in this topic have been great, as she makes many excellent points. This one has not yet been brought up, not just about family leave (which he'd have to offer as law, no?), but in a broader sense, what type of benefits can he offer vs. what you have now?

Platinum Member
    Not sure where Bat's comment came from either.

Perhaps from a previous thread wherein I mentioned my bf and I were discussing possibly living together and someday having a child.

But I never mentioned getting pregnant, our child would be adopted, due to a very bad car accident years ago, sadly I am not able to bear my own. And that adoption would be years away - we were only discussing it for the future.

Re family leave, no. I don't have that now either. Only those employers with 50 plus employees are covered under the FMLA - The Family Medical Leave Act.

CA has enacted a new law- The CA New Parent Leave Act, which covers employers with 20 plus employees.

We have not discussed benefits but I highly doubt it's anything significant. My current employers don't offer the greatest benefits either, being a small firm.

But I have great independent healthcare insurance with a decent monthly premium so not too concerned about that.

The larger national and international law firms offer more, better benefits AND more money, but I have worked for larger firms and it's extremely stressful and pressured, I don't want that again for mental health reasons.

My current plan is to work for this guy for only one year to gain criminal experience and then move on to a more established, slightly larger firm, like may 10-20 employees.

But am still deciding, I have time.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by katrina1980; 07-01-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Platinum Member
    OK great, that answers the benefits question, as it is an important one to consider.

Sounds like you've done some great thinking on this, and whatever choice you make, I know you're making it with a lot of thought and consideration.

I've left 2 different very high-paying jobs at different times in my life, both to make extremely less money, and I was chastised for those decisions at the time. Looking back, those were the best 2 career decisions I ever could have made. So you do you.

Why don't you just continue working for him on a part time basis? You're still getting experience. And if you're seeing corruption from where you are now, it sounds like you're already in a good position to start doing something about it.

Platinum Member
    I do not know what a small business has to offer. I distinctly remember a former boss and mentor advising me to ask about maternity leave policies when I was interviewing for a post grad school job. I thought it was funny because I was in my 20s with a serious boyfriend but no imminent plans for kids (he’s been happily married to and with a man for 20 years now). Anyway she was right to at least do the research - you never know - and Katrina has mentioned trying to conceive in the not too distant future.
    My former employer had a generous enough policy for employees who’d worked there a certain amount of time - I had - and I declined an interview for my dream job - final round and a really probability of an offer - because I was 15 weeks pregnant - not showing - but between not wanting to mislead them if I ended up not coming back and being too new for added leave it just wasn’t the right decision.
    My first interview occurred when I was possibly pregnant - or shortly before- and had no clue I was pregnant. Otherwise I wouldn’t have gone on if. That’s one reason I mentioned it.
    Good luck !

For the record, many people didn’t think Ted Bundy was a bad guy until after he had killed a ton of women.

The best criminals are great liars, so you WOULD be helping get people off who committed terrible crimes, no matter what you tell yourself.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice