Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Career Change...

Originally Posted by katrina1980
    I explained in my my initial post J.

But you've made your point, for you the money is the motivating factor, trumps all else -- job satisfaction, reward for helping those who are innocent, being happy.

I respect your opinion. For me though I am questioning those values, money being the motivating factor.
    I actually just modified that last post after I saw your edit. For the record, I didn't say anything about my own motivation. What you say above is your own opinion of me.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by milly007
    I would stick with your current job. You have too many doubts about taking on this new position.

If youíre more interested in criminal law, why donít you keep your current job, but keep your eyes open for a criminal defence job at a firm, where they can pay you more money so you donít have to sacrifice your stability/lifestyle?

In the meantime and maybe before you apply for other jobs, see if you can continue to assist this criminal attorney on a part-time basis, so you can get a feel for the work and clients in order to see if itís really the type of work youíd like?
    Thanks milly, that is good solid advice!! :)

I already have a feel for the work and clients though, been doing it for a few months.

Not that long though, so yeah good idea to give it more time.

One thing that appeals to me about this attorney is his ethics in choosing to represent clients he knows or senses are innocent.

To be honest, I don't think I could work for an attorney who would represent a client knowing he or she was guilty of an egregious crime such as rape or murder.
    Last edited by katrina1980; 06-30-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by LHGirl
    There are only 2 valid reasons that I'd take such a drastic pay cut (and I have before, so I do understand):

You are miserable at your current job
    or
    You believe this to be a stepping stone to something greater.

Remember, if you take this position and in 6 months, you've moved, you've downgraded, and you hate the job, you are back at square one.

Me? I wouldn't do it. And yes, I have taken a drastic pay cut, on purpose. I changed jobs to make 60% less, but it was for both of my above reasons combined. This one.....not sure I'd do it.
    This.

Again, I am not against your decision to do what you like (especially me) but are you sure you would like this job? There are innocent people who go to jail and it's great that there is someone to represent them in the court. But, to what extent are you going to get involved in the whole process? Would you have a meaningful impact? I mean, if you want to do it for humanitarian reasons , you should know exactly what your position and responsibilities will be and if it allows you to have a significant impact.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    I actually just modified that last post after I saw your edit. For the record, I didn't say anything about my own motivation. What you say above is your own opinion of me.
    I guess it was my opinion based on your posts/questions.

Apologies if I misinterpreted.

Platinum Member
    I just saw your edit J, thank you for that! :)

I am considering everything, everyone's input has been very valuable and helpful!

Platinum Member
    @dias, I would have a significant role which is also very appealing.

Right now I've been interviewing and doing the initial assessment of some cases, and he values my ability to be fair and impartial and seek out all the facts.

I have also assisted him with strategy and he values my input about that too.

In fact, he often tells me I would make a great attorney and tbh if I came into a boatload of money, I would consider it!

Platinum Member
    So Iím all for taking a pay cut to follow a passion - my husband did almost 20 years ago but the field he went into simply doesnít have the pay scale of his former field and never will. So itís not a pay cut for doing the same type of work and had he wanted to return to his former field he would not have had to continue at the lower salary. His choice required no change in lifestyle whatsoever and still doesnít. I also took a huge pay cut when I returned to work because the current job is part time and permits me to telework a lot and gives me a lot of flexibility which I need if I donít want to increase childcare beyond what I have now. And I donít. And that would be expensive anyway.

I shake my head so much at your ďsuper shallowĒ comment - why is liking nice things and a nice place to live and an occasional spa day super shallow? And arenít you also able ti save for the future?

For 15 years I made quite a high salary and built a nest egg for 12 of those years. Psychologically it made me feel better about being a full time mom for 7 years and on a practical level I contributed to the family income monthly even though we didnít need it. But if we did need it for some reason now I think I could get a higher paying full time job. Because I could explain the pay cut as a trade off for child care and wanting time with my child.

Back to you. Hereís what I would do. Keep your current job. Find an organization where you can volunteer in criminal defense nights and or weekends to see more of what itís really like.

And strongly consider going to law school so that if you find passion in that work you can get involved right at the front lines not behind the scenes. I have a friend who is a paralegal at a big firm. She has a teenager and two young kids including one with autism. Her husband is a stay at home dad. And she is done with two years of law school going part time at night. Itís so exciting and inspirational!

Just to add something different to the convo, I'm thinking of all the context of your life right now, and that this would be another huge life stressor ( maybe positive, but still a stressor that adds an element of instability).
    I can't tell you what is right for you. I do know for me, when my mom's illness was nearing its final stages, and afterwards, it was so helpful to have something that felt solid in my life to not have to worry about.
    It's another aspect to think about. You recognize the spark here - you feel this pull to criminal justice and to expanding your role. That's awesome!! This isn't the only path nor opportunity for that, remember. You can pursue that whether you say yes or decline this particular opportunity.

I wouldn't jump ship if you have to compromise your standard of living. Stay where you are! You currently have a beautiful apt on the bay, have enough money for dining out, going out, travel, shopping and spa days. Keep your current income so you can enjoy your life!

Don't move in with your boyfriend. Enjoy your financial independence! Be strong.

The solo criminal attorney can't pay you nearly as much as your job now which is a real deal breaker IMHO. That's a no brainer!

I was going to say something along the lines of itsallgrand. Sounds like you've got a lot of balls in the air right now, and you've mentioned feeling scattered and emotional in a few threads, your own and others. You'll make the choice that works best for you, but might be worth asking if this is the optimal time for a massive shift, especially one that makes you less secure financially.

It sounds like this opportunity has come about organicallyóthat your side work with this guy has helped stir some new interests, focus the compass a bit. Great! From what I gather on ENA you've been itching for a bit more professionally for a minute nowóthe London move, and so on.

But this lawyer is hardly the only criminal defense lawyer, and criminal defense is a field where there is plenty of money to be made. So maybe he's opened your eyes to the next move without having to be the move, if that makes sense.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice