Kitty Sneezing and Bloody Noses

loyal

My sweet, precious, loving kitty is 14 years old. She is a tortie and is very shy. However, she is very, very youthful. She is strictly an indoor cat and rarely, if ever, has health issues.

I noticed about three months ago that blood would sometimes come out of her nose when she sneezed. I did some research online and most of what I found attributed this to allergies. After a week or two of this continuing, I took her to her veterinarian. He ran blood tests and looked in her nose and did not find anything. He gave her an antibiotic shot as a prevention method. It seemed to stop.

For the last few weeks, she has been having bloody noses and sneezing blood a LOT. There is blood spatter all over my house. When I hear her sneeze, I look at her nose and there is blood coming out of her left nostril. It is only her left nostril.

She seems to feel OK. She is talkative with me and is very attached to me. She has always been a very quiet cat, but is also playful at times.

I worry about her! Has anyone every experienced this?

I will call the vet again. I haven't dismissed the blood being everywhere--it terrifies me and I have been in touch with my veterinarian. He seems very nonchalant and doesn't seem to think it is anything serious. But, I agree; it is incredibly alarming!

My first cat, rescue, had every respiratory infection there was. I didn't know what to look for and much like you described, he sneezed a lot. It was until I saw the mucus he sprayed out from sneezing was discolored that I caught on.

Blood is very concerned and indicative of an infection that has gone too a far.

Consider seeing a different vet if that is an option. I tend to stick with one person, but if they aren't taking the issue seriously, get a second opinion! Your kitty's health is worth it.

I second this. Either go back and don't let the vet intimidate you into believing that there's nothing wrong, see another vet in the same practice (if there's more than one), or change vets. Poor little kitty...

Going to second the take the kitty to a different vet. If there is a vet in the area who specializes in cats, try that. I found that very helpful years back when a stray kitty cat walked into my life and adopted himself and then turned out to have some health problems. Regular vet was not very good, and the cat kept being very sick. Since there was a cat only clinic in the area, I went there and the vet had immediate, effective solutions that worked. Made a huge difference and the cat lived on happily for many more years.

Archived