LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paying everything for girlfriend and her family

Platinum Member
    She's blatantly using you and you are being a total doormat right now. I cringed reading this, you need to break up with her and seek a more equal relationship.

Don't try to impress he parents this much. Be yourself.

Run. As. Fast. As. You. Can!

Platinum Member
    Even if from an Asian country, the parents cannot be too old at this point and have careers and to me they would lose face if people found out their daughter's boyfriend was constantly paying for them. I would at first cut off the girlfriend. Stop going to the cinema. Go to things that are cheap or free - like a public art exhibit, museums that are free, to watch a parade, to go hiking. Do things that cost zero dollars or under $10. If she only cares about money, you will quickly lose her and she will latch on to another guy. Also, stop inviting the whole family out. Go on dates just the two of you. You should be buying your own mother flowers, not hers.

Platinum Member
    Dude I honestly feel bad for you but at the same time not because you allowed this to happen.

One of two things needs to happen and I'm 100% committed to the first.

1. Run. Run far, run fast, don't look back.

2. Don't do this but, the next option would be to sit her down and say look I don't care what culture you're from, where you're from etc. Being lavished with gifts does not mean you are loved. Simply put the financial burden of your relationship is skewed in a blatantly unfair and unhealthy balance. The idea that you are expected to pay for expensive gifts not only for her, but her family, mother, holidays etc is just preposterous man. Holy crap wake up.

Set a monthly budget that you're comfortable spending. This should be set according to your finances only and not in accordance with how much you want to please her mother. If you have $300 of throw away money, or $3000 every month that's what you spend, but only up to the limit that she's willing and able to match. If she wants to have a $5000 a month lavish lifestyle then she needs to foot the bill for half of it. Or her parents do.

But remember you're here to listen to #1 which is run away now.

Don't even try with this one.... Run.

Silver Member
    If her mother is a successful business woman, they should know better. Your girlfriend sounds awful. Tell her goodbye.

They are using you. If it's a cultural thing then do what's been suggested and negotiate. Carrying on the way it is will only allow them to keep disrespecting you. Be brave and think like a businessman. You are not getting the respect you deserve so stand firm. There are plenty of girls out there who would love you for who you are.

No one has deceived or swindled you. You voluntarily tried to impress her and her family. Don't be that insecure.

You’re right. As bad as they are, I contributed to it as well, because of all the guys that are constantly chasing her, and I tried to impress her and the family all out to a point of no return. Lesson learnt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice