Can a holiday romance last?

So I just got back from Mallorca after a 8 day break and it was so great! I went with my sister, auntie, grandmother and my young cousins. One day the reps organised a beer pong game where I met a German man who was with his friend. My sister started to talk to them so then I joined and we decided to all play pool after the beer pong. I was pretty drunk but we had a really good time when we started to talk alone when his friend and my sister left us alone. We ran to the beach and climbed the rocks in our swimwear and just sat and watched the sun set. We spoke about what we loved and our ambitions and I felt so comfortable. We both love the idea of travelling, he was telling me about his home life. After that we spent as much time together as possible, spent one day together at the beach and I felt like I knew him for ages. He used to kiss my hand and my forehead, I spent the remaining nights of my holiday at his hotel room and we cuddled all night. When it was time for me to go home, he woke up early to say goodbye and we have stayed in contact ever since over text and FaceTime. I’ve only been home for 3 days but I miss him so much, he wants me to fly over to Hamburg soon and he said when I get there we are going to plan some trips together and fulfill our travelling dreams. However I don’t want to get my hopes up, because most holiday romances never last? I’d like to think it would last but who knows? Has anyone else ever had a holiday romance last?

No. I have experienced traveling and having chemistry with guys. It's not uncommon to find someone in any locality who you'll have chemistry with. There are so many cons when starting a LDR with a stranger that I don't recommend one. Enjoy the memory of the frivolous fun you had and find someone local.

The odds are slim.

Part of what makes holiday romances so potent is that they take place outside reality. You're in an exotic place, more relaxed than normal, and more open than you're likely to be when going about your daily life. In ways they're a bit like affairs or rebound relationships—they move fast, either physically or emotionally or both, and you have that intoxicating feeling you described of having known a stranger "for ages"—but then comes the reality of what they have to be if they are to last: the dreaded long-distance relationship, a romance that exists more on screens than IRL.

That said, enjoy this feeling, and enjoy whatever it is at the moment. Treat it, really, like anyone else you've just met and connected with. Don't worry too much about where it's going, be realistic, don't toss all the eggs into one basket, and so on, and you'll be fine. It will go...where it goes. But don't put your life on pause, you know? That doesn't bode well for any new romance.

What bluecastle said.

I had a similar experience, I thought it would end there, but we kept in touch for 10 months. I can't call it a relationship, but I was glued to my phone and Skype. Not that it ended badly, we're still talking, heck he just texted me today, but all the romance was basically based on the fact that it was a summer fling. I realized we were not a good match at all. It probably took me so much time because it was an ldr. That's why they're tricky, you don't really get to meet the person that well.

I don't regret it AT ALL, sometimes I did wish we just left it as a summer fling, but honestly after I got over him, I don't even remember the pain of the break up.

So yeah, keep in touch, but don't let the movie -romance get you. Keep your eyes wide open.

Glad you had such a good time!

Oh dear. The holiday romance.. take it one step at a time. I had a great time with a wonderful man once and it was a great experience traveling but it wasn't realistic. He wanted to do the keep in touch thing but I felt he was a bit too young for me. I'm not sure what your friend there is saying about fulfilling your traveling plans together. Why do you need someone else to travel with in the first place? I ask as a genuine question because I eventually tired of having someone around and enjoyed myself on my adventures alone a lot more (I got to meet more people and hear my own thoughts without having to appease anyone else).

I'd say enjoy it for now but leave room to explore and grow. Have fun.

Holiday romance can be fun, I had a summer fling that lasted for almost 2 weeks, we’re still friends on Facebook but don’t really talk, and that’s ok. It didn’t end badly, I just didn’t want to be attached to someone who lives so far. I think it’s easier to fall for someone on holiday than in everyday life, it is fun and less stressful, but usually doesn’t last.

I’ll come in with a story of love ❤️

I know a lovely family - she is from Germany, he is from Canada. They met in the Dominican Republic while they were both on holiday. They kept in touch, met up in the Dominican every 6 months or so, she visited him, he visited her - and they decided to take the plunge. She moved to Canada, they got married and they have 2 beautiful children. They’ve been married 25 years or so... For what it’s worth, I understand why they fell in love... she is honestly one of the loveliest ladies I’ve ever met - kind, generous, fun to be around, etc.

It can happen! But I agree that these stories are few and far between. I say - follow your heart! Just keep your eyes and your options open for now...

LDR's are tricky. I know a couple who met whilst travelling. They eventually got married and have been together for quite a long time. Before getting married though, one of the people in the relationship eventually moved to the country where their partner lives. LDR's can work as long as they are temporary.

By the way, it's a German bloke who wants you to fly to Hamburg soon. In my experience, most German's are usually forthright. They don't generally say stuff just to be polite and they don't contact you unless they value you somehow. These are naturally generalizations as not every German is like that. So, yeah, he wants you to fly to Hamburg. Nothing more to that. Something to consider if you're thinking about how genuine his interest is.

When someone requests to keep in touch that doesn't always means to keep in touch. The sender matters. Had the bloke been, for example, southern Italian or Brazilian I'd have told you something entirely different.

I’ll come in with a story of love ❤️

I know a lovely family - she is from Germany, he is from Canada. They met in the Dominican Republic while they were both on holiday. They kept in touch, met up in the Dominican every 6 months or so, she visited him, he visited her - and they decided to take the plunge. She moved to Canada, they got married and they have 2 beautiful children. They’ve been married 25 years or so... For what it’s worth, I understand why they fell in love... she is honestly one of the loveliest ladies I’ve ever met - kind, generous, fun to be around, etc.

It can happen! But I agree that these stories are few and far between. I say - follow your heart! Just keep your eyes and your options open for now...

Finally a good reply :)

Although I agree, I would like to know your logic behind this statement

My logic behind it? Having met people from many nationalities, I learned that it's a cultural thing. Brazilians and Southern Italians are known for being more casually flirty than other nations. Germans are known for not wanting someone's number unless they're actually interested in keeping in touch.

:-)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok you took your chances and visited him and unfortunately it didn't pan out as far as a LDR. Keep in mind the charm of a vacation destination isn't real life.

I spent the remaining nights of my holiday at his hotel room and we cuddled all night. I’ve only been home for 3 days but I miss him so much, he wants me to fly over to Hamburg.However I don’t want to get my hopes up, because most holiday romances never last? I’d like to think it would last but who knows?

Archived