Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Issued a final warning at work - I have questions

Originally Posted by maew
    Agree.

To be the devil's advocate... OP I hear you say that you love your job, your boss, and your company, I have to ask though... are you absolutely sure you can do this without suffering physically or emotionally? I can tell you don't want to give up and I think that's admirable, however I also think it's very important to sit down and reflect on whether or not you really are capable of doing what they ask. Because if you do this and you continue to struggle, you only hurt yourself and them more in the long run.

I say this because I had someone working for me that really struggled, for months, to keep up with her performance... she knew in her heart that she wanted to be a stay at home mom but was afraid to let go and take the plunge... so it was a constant battle of her hearts desire and her fear... towards the end of her performance improvement plan she got news that her husband was transferring and they would be moving, and she would be able to stay at home. I am very glad it happened that way because it got to be her choice... the other option would have been terminating her which is awful for everyone involved.

No right or wrong answer just food for thought.
    Thanks for your input. I do feel right now that I am not performing very well and that while I try very hard, I'm just not at the level I need to be at in order to do what's needed for this position. But I have failed in, like, three other professional jobs, and I just can't fail again. I won't allow it. I've allowed it to happen before and I can't do that, can't start over again. I am better than the current output and I just need to get it in my head that it doesn't matter what happens, I need to make this work.

Gold Member
    Attendance is your main issue, and obviously this is your main focus.

Pick your three worst areas and concentrate on those...attendance is #1, and then the others...most time needs to go towards your personal reliability to the workplace and the customers, clients, and coworkers...second, pay attention to your next biggest flaws.

Truly, I don't know that "work from home" is the most ideal for you, since your personal life drags you in other directions. In an office, you have a *natural barrier*. At home, you have to utilize personal boundaries and make use of personal goals and restrictions...meaning, the laundry can wait, the phone call can wait, the desperate family member can leave a message and wait...you are *at work*, even though you are at home.

No exceptions.

You are "at the office" the second you log in.

The biggest termination reason for a majority of the hirelings in my business is attendance. It's a really big company, and no-shows affect me in some fashion, but not obvious...the business boots you out the door pretty fast. Someone who seems smart and highly motivated and an asset is given extra rope, but you'd better get your ducks in a row because that rope is reaching an end, really fast. Your employer is not invested in your personal life so much that they want to shuttle bus your responsibilities to other people and create overtime or loss in stats and having to pay penalties as a result, or loss of business.

When working in a small business, 10 employees or so?? Let me tell you how fast you will become the biggest enemy if you are the one who "always calls in sick." I have a date this weekend or I have plans to go to The City this weekend; I have plans to be a slug on the sofa and catch up on laundry and housework; I'm really excited that I have *no plans*;...but wait!...Becky is calling in sick again, looks like I'm working...I hate Becky...I haven't had a day off in two weeks! I have to cancel my plans for Becky! My child is sick; my family member needs my assistance...Becky! Becky isn't showing up, so I'm going to have to show up.

The simple answer is show up. Few people are going to tolerate sketchy attendance for very long.

Platinum Member
    "I do foresee my attendance issues improving over the next half of the year."

This is a problem.

Going by what you wrote and based on your reference to a "final warning ", you don't have half a year to get your attendance in gear. That needs to happen today.

Originally Posted by WithLove
    I have failed in, like, three other professional jobs, and I just can't fail again.
    That's a little concerning. What happened in those three jobs? Do you see a common pattern happening?

Platinum Member
    I also had a very ill family member that clung to life for the duration of 2019 and her frequent hospital visits required me and my mom to tag team in order to make sure she wasn't alone,

There was no reason, unless the family member was your daughter, you needed to go with your mother to make sure she was not alone. Your mom was there to make sure the family member was not alone. I am guessing it was not a FMLA qualifying situation -- relative wasn't close enough , you were not the caregiver.

I think you approach this by not being late again and not missing. If you work a desk job, you can certianly go to work with a broken ankle - or call Lyft or Uber. Unless you have to drive a clutch.

Do not snivvle, do not cry, just be at work 15 minutes before you are supposed to be there and put in your all.

How many warnings did you have before this one?

Originally Posted by WithLove
    Thanks for your input. I do feel right now that I am not performing very well and that while I try very hard, I'm just not at the level I need to be at in order to do what's needed for this position. But I have failed in, like, three other professional jobs, and I just can't fail again. I won't allow it. I've allowed it to happen before and I can't do that, can't start over again. I am better than the current output and I just need to get it in my head that it doesn't matter what happens, I need to make this work.
    Perhaps consider getting a coach then? They can help you strategize and set goals and create a structure to allow yourself to be successful. They can also act as a sounding board and hold you accountable for meeting those goals.

Something to think about

Yikes. Some of you seem like you haven't read my post at all. I know I effed up. I know I need to work on my performance. Obviously I am aware of how precarious my position is right now. There's really no need to drill it into me further.

Abitbroken, what I meant by tag team was that my mom and I swapped off spending time at the hospital separately so that my family member was not alone. We weren't at the hospital together. Please don't presume to know my family's situation and tell me what I should and shouldn't do when it comes to death and sickness. Thanks.

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    How many warnings did you have before this one?
    I had a verbal warning first.

Originally Posted by boltnrun
    "I do foresee my attendance issues improving over the next half of the year."

This is a problem.

Going by what you wrote and based on your reference to a "final warning ", you don't have half a year to get your attendance in gear. That needs to happen today.
    Agreed. I was responding to someone else's comment about asking if I could see any issues coming up that would hamper my attendance.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice