i am a bit stuck

well i am in year 10 and i am going in to year 11 i am not sure how to study for my exams and i am not sure what i need to take with me to school every day for year 11 i am not sure what i need to do to get a good grade or what i need to bring with me to school for every day and i am just not sure how to do things i am dyslexic and dysgraphic and i am not sure how to handle everything at school wise if u can help me i would be greatful

Pack the basic school bag:

-some lined paper

-a pencil/pen case with erasers (something to write with)

-a snack or lunch

All you need to do:

-listen during class

-get your teachers' contact info (write it down from the board or write it down when they tell the class)

Everything should be explained to you in your first week. Don't worry so much. It will be okay. You can also chat with your school teachers after class and they should provide you with their contact and how to get in touch with them if you have questions afterwards. You're not expected to know everything before your first day.

i have tryed to email the school about this several times but they are not sure how to help me and not having anyone else to help me is hard as i dont understand what is going on as i struggle t consentrate and work at school and be able to remember things that i need for every day use and its really hard to cope with every thing that is going on and i dont understand why this is happening to me

That's ok. Next time he is there talk to this teacher. Teachers have all sorts of resources and other teachers and counselors they can talk with. Start there. You don't need the weight of the world on your shoulders all alone. The adults are there to help you. If they don't know you're struggling, they can't help you. Even if you have trouble at home, you can confide in a trusted teacher or counselor.

i have a favourite teacher but he is only a supply teacher so he is not at school every day

On top of the advice you have received from others:

Have you considered making lists? Make a list of all the things that you need to bring to school every day. Maybe a teacher can help you? Then, you tick off every single thing that you have completed. Say, you need to bring a book to class. Once it's inside your backpack, you tick off the item on your list.

Some ideas:

1. Get a study group together and review notes frequently

2. Get permission to audio tape lectures and review them each night

3. Many people with dyslexia are more spatially oriented, so draw diagrams and pictures into your notes

4. Read textbook chapters before they are covered in class

5. See if you can get audio versions of your textbooks - if you have a dyslexia diagnosis then you may find them for free

6. Some pdfs and other online material can be read to you via your computer. Go to "Accessibility" settings on your computer, set the text to speech on, then highlight any sentences or passages you want read aloud to you and listen as you read.

7. Check with your school to see if there might be accommodations for your exams- extra time, computer read aloud, etc.

Lots of work but you can do it!

Archived