I'm already really fit, I exercise 8.5 hours a week. 1 hour 15 mins of taekwondo on Tues and Thurs, 4 hours of badminton on Sat, and 2 hours of badminton on Sunday. I exercise so much that I'm sore almost 24/7. But I am not losing weight or burning fat??

I am also eating at a calorie deficit but it has been almost a month, and I see no change. Am I doing something wrong?

In the past I lost 100lbs in 4.5 months. I did this consuming 600-900 calories a day.

Exercise has very little effect when dieting. One month I exercised an hour a day and lost 9.9 kg. The next month I sat on the couch and lost 9.5 kg.

Look at what you’re putting in your mouth.... even things like peas, corn and carrots effected my weight loss.

If l didn’t lose weight it was for 2 reasons.... too many carbs or not drinking enough water. If I drank less than 2 litres a day my weight loss would be half of what it should be.

I am also eating at a calorie deficit but it has been almost a month, and I see no change. Am I doing something wrong?

Are you really eating at calorie deficit? You say its been almost a month, lol. If i fast for 2 days I can easily lose 7 pounds no problem. I feel like hitting my head against a brick wall when the answers to some of the most complicated problems are often so simple. STOP EATING so much.

Also, this was meant for someone who is slightly overweight. Oftentimes the problem is psychological, not merely metabolic. People seem to think that obesity is the problem, when in fact so often is it just a symptom. Most often people are using food to calm themselves down, when they really need intimacy and attention.

If I drank less than 2 litres a day my weight loss would be half of what it should be.

Interesting. And you were still consuming the same amount of calories each day when you drank your two litres of water?

Wondering why water had this effect versus not drinking the 2 litres? I can understand if consuming more water suppressed your appetite and you therefore ate less calories, which contributed to your weight loss. But, if you ate the same amount of calories, how did the 2 litres of water assist with a more significant weight loss?

Does drinking water speed up metabolism?

No matter what, your body is going to abide by the laws of thermodynamics. If you're already "very fit," your body is most likely throttling your functioning at rest to reduce your BMR. People underestimate how many calories we burn simply being alive. 8.5 hours of exercise on its own isn't extreme, but on a consistent calorie deficit, your body has no idea you're doing it for recreation rather than survival, so it will prioritize fueling your activity over things like healthy protein synthesis, hormone regulation, cell production, etc.

There are ways to "trick" your body to lose weight after reaching a certain level of leanness, but I couldn't in good conscience describe them here. I've done the strictly essential body fat grind myself back when I was considering competing, and it's as miserable to maintain as it is incredibly unhealthy. Honestly, if you just wanna have some more tone to look better for yourself, go the opposite direction. You do a lot of aerobic exercise but I see very little strength training. Go a bit above maintenance and hit the weights

I'm with jman on this one. More strength training and less cardio. Eat a balanced diet full of nutritious foods. Don't keep yourself at a constant severe calorie deficit. Not only is it exhausting but it communicates to your body that you are starving, and can actually make it harder to lose fat.

I know everyone is different but I do intermittent fasting and it seems to help a lot. I fast from about 7pm ...only have coffe in the morning then have something like eggs or some nuts at around 12-1 pm. Then I’ll eat again at around 3-4.. something high in fat or protein and my dinner is usually protein with some veggies. Pretty much like Keto... but a couple of times a week I do have ice cream or something. I do implement weight training about 3x a week ... but it seems to work for me..

Honestly, if you just wanna have some more tone to look better for yourself, go the opposite direction. You do a lot of aerobic exercise but I see very little strength training. Go a bit above maintenance and hit the weights

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Aerobics can be a good metabolic 'starter,' but once you're fit, it won't have much impact on anything but your time and joints. Weights don't need to be boring, there are plenty of fun ways to use them. Do some research.

Why do you want to lose weight if you are already fit? Your weight is just a number that includes your bones, fat, muscle, organs, everything. What you should focus on is strength, ability, and how well you feel. Rather than watching the scale, keep a diary of fitness accomplishments like the number of reps you can perform or the distance you can run, etc.

Also, being sore isn't necessarily an indication of anything other than muscle tearing. I'm not an expert, but in my experience, you need rest and recovery days if you want to improve your fitness level. When you push your muscles, micro tears occur, basically damages to the muscles. And this feels sore. Muscles need recovery periods to repair themselves during periods of rest, and they need to be fed a good diet of good fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals. If you are pushing yourself too much, your muscles never get the chance to recover and repair so that you are basically overtraining them, and losing muscle mass, or at least not building any.

Muscle mass is important for a lean, toned appearance. It doesn't mean your muscles will get LARGER, just that they will be well-formed. This gives the body a nice appearance. It may even make you appear thinner, even though you might weigh more, because muscle weighs more than fat.

You may feel that you are soft, and that this means you should lose weight. This is a common misperception when in fact you don't need to lose weight, just allow your body to rest and repair your muscles. I agree that adding weights is a good idea but when you add weight I think you must give yourself some active rest days wherein you are active but not weight training, or at least not training the same body parts every single day.

And if you are young, remember that your body is still growing and hormones are changing your body composition as well.

And it takes more than a month to see big changes. Be patient, focus on your abilities not the scale, and be proud of yourself that you are so active and accomplishing things in your training.

Interesting. And you were still consuming the same amount of calories each day when you drank your two litres of water?

Wondering why water had this effect versus not drinking the 2 litres? I can understand if consuming more water suppressed your appetite and you therefore ate less calories, which contributed to your weight loss. But, if you ate the same amount of calories, how did the 2 litres of water assist with a more significant weight loss?

Does drinking water speed up metabolism?

I believe that it's more because water suppresses the apetite. But it could also be that if a person has water retention, drinking water will help shedding it off and lose "water weight" (sorry, don't know the terms in English). I also notice that water makes all the difference for me as I get bloated with water retention if I don't drink enough.

I know everyone is different but I do intermittent fasting and it seems to help a lot. I fast from about 7pm ...only have coffe in the morning then have something like eggs or some nuts at around 12-1 pm. Then I’ll eat again at around 3-4.. something high in fat or protein and my dinner is usually protein with some veggies. Pretty much like Keto... but a couple of times a week I do have ice cream or something. I do implement weight training about 3x a week ... but it seems to work for me..

I've been doing intermittent fast too for almost 3 weeks and sometimes I only feel apetite for a meal. I don't usually consume much carbs. I haven't been exercising though, but my job includes lots of moving around. However, I haven't been losing a lot but I think it could be because I've been feeling stressed and not sleeping enough, which has an effect on the metabolism.

• 4 weeks later...
female, 5'2", currently 112lbs

yun, I say with lots of compassion as I've been there/done that, but please look into getting some sort of professional help, this is NOT about your weight it's about your negative body image, how you view yourself, your appearance and your low self-esteem.

5'2", 112 pounds is very thin, there is no reason on god's green earth you need to lose weight.

I suffered with body image issues most of my life, I still do, at 5'6" I fluctuate between 117 and 120, but at one point I got as low as 102, and I still thought I was overweight! I know crazy, since I was literally a size less than 0.

So forget the diet, my advice is to eat healthy, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats such as chicken, I eat lots of salads with real Italian dressing (NOT the low cal stuff -- ick). And I will even occasionally splurge on a burger!

And look into getting some therapy, seriously.

You really don't want to go any lower than 112 I don't think, it's just not healthy.

Best of luck to you yun and hang in.

Continue posting here for support!

Archived