Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Onward.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by WithLove
    Oooof, K lost his job for a bit? That must've been pretty detrimental for him (and worrisome for you).

I have a friend that does Uber (regular, not Eats) and she really enjoys it, but she was telling me about her wages and it just didn't seem all that worth the extra wear and tear on her vehicle. *shrug*
    Its great if someone is doing it along with someone else. I know someone who gets someone's two little girls ready for school and picks them up but between 9:30- 1;30 her time is free and she ubers after she drops them off and right before she picks them up. But if its your sole thing - yeah, wear and tear.

Originally Posted by WithLove
    Oooof, K lost his job for a bit? That must've been pretty detrimental for him (and worrisome for you).

I have a friend that does Uber (regular, not Eats) and she really enjoys it, but she was telling me about her wages and it just didn't seem all that worth the extra wear and tear on her vehicle. *shrug*
    He did, yeah. It wasn't for too long though and then he got something else that paid well. But I wasn't working at the time and couldn't really (school). But I did manage to drive for Uber Eats and I made some money. I drive once in a blue moon when I'm bored but have to stay up all night cause I have a night shift coming up. So may as well make some money when the nighttime promotions are going on.

I agree that it's not really worth it if it's your solo thing and you're relying on it for income. The distances I drive aren't that much at all. I also refuse to drive passengers - food deliveries only. I don't want to deal with keeping my car clean for cheap people who either won't tip or may throw up in it. Plus, I listen to podcasts the whole time.

Anyway, bad news. I went back to work too early - back got bad again, quite as bad as it was before. I Went to my doctor and got a note. I'm off for a week (full pay) and then I'm on light duty for a few weeks. My boss is supportive, apparently this happens sometimes, but I am not happy about this. My doctor thinks I'm doing all of the right things and thinks I should be able to heal up in time. Last time, I temporarily lost the ability to walk. I am happy to say that this did not happen this time.

*sigh* I am going to do my best to heal up.

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    Its great if someone is doing it along with someone else. I know someone who gets someone's two little girls ready for school and picks them up but between 9:30- 1;30 her time is free and she ubers after she drops them off and right before she picks them up. But if its your sole thing - yeah, wear and tear.

How are you feeling, Fudgie?

Back is still sore and tense. Taking a LOT of antiflammatory meds and I make myself go for a short walk everyday. I am due to go back to work in a couple days but I'll be on light duty. I emailed a lady at work with my doctor note and I also included info about past work experience to help her make it easier to find me light duty work. She told me not to worry, I have many many skills and I will be easy to find a place for.

I'm hopeful I can work the holiday (independence day) for extra pay. After the holiday, my cousin is coming to visit me. We are going to goof around, walk, watch movies, make lobster, etc. We had planned this trip earlier but I decided not to cancel. I need to have some fun in my life.

My parents have been asking me about dating again. I don't really have an answer for that (other than "f__ that noise") so I went onto Tinder for 15 min for the first time in my life just so I could get a feel of the app. I deleted it after the 15 min.

I can't stand it. It forces you to make snap judgements about people's appearances. I don't want to do that because I want to make snap judgments about a potential partner's life choices and lifestyles! But I can't do that because there's no profile, just some Instagram imported pics and a single Spotify song. That's nothing.

Of course, you have to "like" someone and vice versa in order to talk. But let's be honest, for me, 85% or more of men are "passable" in terms of looks. It's the lifestyle and goal differences that make me incompatible with most men and that can only be found out by messaging on Tinder. Who has time for that? I'd rather look at a profile and know dealbreakers within seconds than waste several minutes playing 20 questions over messaging.

I feel the same way about meeting someone in person as well. I love profiles and I wish everyone came with one.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned!

That's why Tinder is known as a "hook-up" dating app, since your matches are purely based on looks. I wouldn't want to play 20 questions with someone, either, especially if you could learn right away that they are not someone you're interested in.

A number of folks I know locally (friends, coworkers) have used Tinder to find relationships and it's just mind blowing to me. I don't understand it at all. I mean, I believe it could be done, sure, but what a time suck.

I get that my parents just want me to be happy and my mom worries I'll end up alone but it's just not on my radar.

I don't know, unless we're talking a magical world where everyone has 100% accurate profiles I think you would find yourself disappointed and frustrated depending on them too much to decide who is worth your time or not. A profile is not going to get to the core of a person and tell you what they're like to live with.

At the end of the day, it takes time to really get to know someone, and personally I really enjoy the journey of unraveling who someone actually is, not just what they try to broadcast. When you're getting to know someone you click with, that stuff is the best, man.

But definitely do what's best for you. I'm not trying to change your mind on anything (and honestly, I feel pretty cynical about relationships and putting my trust in anyone right now) but it's a time investment either way. There's no skipping that.

Hope your back is getting better, Fudge.

You are right - profiles don't really get to the core of the person. However, if fleshed out, they can definitely be used to determine some key dealbreakers, such as those relating to lifestyle, family status, etc.

At this point, I'm definitely way too cynical even to attempt anything. With my last ex, I chose him because he fit a "list" and then we met up and had great chemistry and good companionship...almost 4 years and it didn't work. I'm just tired. What is the point? It's wonderful not having to worry about someone, having to clean up after them figuratively and literally, getting frustrated when they dont or won't get their s__t together.

For the first time in a long time, I feel the clock ticking for me but I'm starting not to care. A small part of me wonders if I'll come to regret this, actively hanging back as I see people around me who are dating, getting engaged, married, child, etc. Not because I will miss out on those milestones, but that I am losing time to find someone who doesn't want them either, or at least someone who decides that BEFORE he unwittingly knocks a woman up.

I do believe it is possible to find love later in life, in fact, it's probably easier than most think. However, I think that's true only for those who have the milestones in mind. The older I get, the more I see that people start to adhere to them and place importance whereas with me, I have grown more averse over the years. I know my preferences slim my pool by a great deal but I'd rather be alone than compromise on those points.

But I'll say, it's been wonderful not having to worry about finances for two anymore, just have to worry about myself. Having more freedom now is great. I can truly do what I want with my time, no obligations, and I'm so glad I don't have to see his awful family again.

Now that I'm finally making decent money and plan to make even more in a few years once I go back to school again, I know I can afford everything I want to do on my own. I don't need a partner to buy a house or to travel at this point. That alone is so freeing.

My back is still tense. Waiting for a PT appt, have one scheduled, just waiting. I start "light duty" work in an IVF/egg storage place soon. How's that for ironic? I laughed out loud when I found that out.

Maybe you can find some comfort in short, fulfilling relationships, or even friends with benefits. Date around until you're just done. Although I can see this not being great for sex, since you dislike condoms. But it may work out that you'll put up with them if you start feeling physically lonely.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice