Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Family relationships

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    14
    Originally Posted by LHGirl
    When you say "they" send you photos, who is "they"? Is it from your brother, or his partner?

    My guess is, his partner is the one driving the sending of all the photos, and driving the calling of your partner "uncle" by their child.

    My guess is also, that your brother downplayed his role in your estrangement. You use the word "assault", which is vague, and he probably says he was just teasing you and you got too sensitive, something like that. I can't speculate on how he described it to her, but I gotta give him props for reaching out to you, owning up to it, and apologizing to you. His partner may just have been the driving force behind that.

    So my other guess is, she's trying to build a bridge, not throw their baby in your face.

    My vote is to accept it and welcome them as a part of your lives, or block them and become estranged again. Anything else is just passive-aggressive limbo.

    You say that they don't put any notes, no "how are you's". How about you responding to some of the pictures with "What a lovely baby, would love to get together again, he's getting so big!". You know, start a dialogue. They may very well be saying, "Well we send her pictures of him all the time, but she never responds".
    I do respond. I have responded to every single photo and video they have sent. But they say nothing back. My partner actually thinks I should stop responding as this is what might be encouraging it.

    They both send the photos. My brother sends mostly videos. He sends things like the baby in his cot sucking on a dummy. He also sent a video of the babies mouth - he was actually trying to zoom in on his phone to the inside the babies mouth.

    As for the assualt that led to our 6 year estrangement - he threw a footstool at me because I sounded like our father who he despises! They have not spoken for over 10 years.
    Last edited by amco43; 06-16-2019 at 09:51 AM.

  2. #12
    Platinum Member j.man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,436
    Originally Posted by amco43
    Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I need some advice on how to handle a situation.

    My brother and I didn't speak for 6 years. He assualted me and refused to apologise.Then one day out of the blue he called me and apologised. Said he and his partner were trying for a baby and we should patch things up because of it.

    I'm 43 and don't want kids - my partner and I are childfree (not childless).

    Anyway, he contacted me in August to say they'd gone through IVF and by September they were pregnant. I met him in October, he apologised for how he'd behaved six years ago. I live quite far away from him so we now started to have sporadic phone calls and occasional whatsapp messages. His partner whatsapped me all her scan photos when she was pregnant.

    My nephew was born a few weeks ago and I'm thrilled for them and love my nephew. However, they are constantly sending me photos and videos of the baby through whatsapp. It's just photos and videos with no message - no 'how are you?' It feels very one sidded. I know new parents can be obsessed, but I'm not obsessed and I actually find it an intrutsion into my life. I'm not jealous because as I said we are childfree by choice and have a great life. We don't want children. I don't hate kids, but I am not they type of person that is obsessed with kids. I am not child focused. I prefer animals.
    How can I deal with this situation without alienating them?
    They seem to expect my life to now revolve around their child.

    In addition, I've been with my partner for 11 years. We're very happy as we are and don't want to marry. We don't see the point and don't really believe in marriage. It's not for us, but we can be happy for others who do want to marry. However, we believe in the right not to marry. My brother'spartner is referring to my partner as 'uncle' , but he doesn't want to be referred to as uncle. He doesn't view himself as an uncle to this child.

    What is going on in this situation?
    My lord there's a lot of cringe here to unpack. Do you guys get this stuck when the escalator is out of order, too?

    Firstly, "childless" and "childfree" are the same thing. You are childless, and that's fine.

    Secondly, they're not being "intrusive." No one's throwing framed baby photos through your living room window. You can even mute notifications for specific people on Whatsapp.

    Third, tell your guy to sit up straight and not to be such a baby back whiner. Who cares if your brother's partner is referring to him as the kid's uncle through Whatsapp? It's not like he's being asked to babysit. Hell, dude doesn't even have to know. It's your Whatsapp, not his.

    Y'all sound like that couple who has a chip on their shoulder for going against the grain, and who cares exponentially more about people who go with it than people ever will about your choices. I mean, I get it. I don't like the Beatles. It feels cool to be part of a pretty exclusive crew. I don't expect a cookie for it, though.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    14
    Childless and childree are not the same thing. Childless describes couples who wanted to have children, but for a variety of reasons were unable. They are sad about it.
    Childfree is a concious decision you have made and you are secure and content in that decision.

    Now I know about the mute notifications, that's what I will do.

    But as I've just figured out through this forum... the real issue is I feel my brother doesn't take any interest in my life.

  4. #14
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,815
    Originally Posted by amco43
    I do respond. I have responded to every single photo and video they have sent. But they say nothing back. My partner actually thinks I should stop responding as this is what might be encouraging it.

    They both send the photos. My brother sends mostly videos. He sends things like the baby in his cot sucking on a dummy. He also sent a video of the babies mouth - he was actually trying to zoom in on his phone to the inside the babies mouth.
    I agree with your partner. Stop responding. Just accept that they send you pictures, and be done with it. You could block them, if you don't want a relationship, but it really doesn't do any harm to view the pictures, so if it were me, I'd just keep receiving them, but yeah, I'd stop responding.

    Now, they may be thinking that their sending you a photo is communication, and you're communicating back with your response, so that's the end of the conversation. Kind of like sending an emoji for an emoji.

    You're probably still very upset about the assault, and you might not really want a relationship with your brother, which I get. But this is where you get to decide: In or out. Maintain a relationship, or close the door forever. Is that what this is more about?

    As for child-free vs. childless, yeah, to me, it's all the same. But I do get why you describe it like that, as it is your choice, vs. people who tried but couldn't, to have a child. Or marriage vs. living together, or whatever. It's all cool, and there's nothing to be defiant about (not that I think you are, but you spent some time making that distinction). You do you.

  5.  

  6. #15
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    52
    Posts
    36,827
    Gender
    Female
    It sounds like you have nuclear family issues not a nephew issue.

  7. #16
    Platinum Member j.man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,436
    People secure and content with a decision don't get bent up over how it's termed, especially when the terms in fact do mean the same thing. I don't mean it as a jab. Either you legit are content and are just pretentious about it, or you're not that secure about it and it's worth some introspection. You're making socially contrarian life decisions, and that's fine. The overcompensating tone is pretty unbecoming, though. There's probably a reason beyond your history that your brother doesn't get much social value from your interactions beyond sharing these photos.

  8. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    14
    Thanks LH Girl. That actually helped.

    I do enjoy looking at the photos and I love my nephew. I think the problem is still my relationship with my brother. When we became estranged, he also cut relations with our mother.

    Since we started talking again and I found out they were pregnant, I have done all that I have mainly for our mother's sake. I want her to enjoy her grandchild. I encourage her to get involved. She suffers from serious mental illness (although well controlled on medication). She is happier than she has ever been and is even knitting a baby blanket. I bought her the kit and encouraged her to do it. I want her very much to be happy.

    I feel that if I was to upset my brother in any way, he will just cut us out again and this would be extremely upsetting to our mother. She's 64 now and not in the best of health.

    I only make the distinction between childless and childfree because some people don't realize you can be happy and content in life without having children.

  9. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    14
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    It sounds like you have nuclear family issues not a nephew issue.
    What's a nuclear family issue?

  10. #19
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    52
    Posts
    36,827
    Gender
    Female
    The family of your birth.
    Originally Posted by amco43
    What's a nuclear family issue?

  11. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    14
    Originally Posted by j.man
    People secure and content with a decision don't get bent up over how it's termed, especially when the terms in fact do mean the same thing. I don't mean it as a jab. Either you legit are content and are just pretentious about it, or you're not that secure about it and it's worth some introspection. You're making socially contrarian life decisions, and that's fine. The overcompensating tone is pretty unbecoming, though. There's probably a reason beyond your history that your brother doesn't get much social value from your interactions beyond sharing these photos.
    j.man - I make the distinction between childless and childfree because some people don't realize you can be happy and content in life without having children.

    Some people actually believe women who don't have children are miserable and I think it's important to point out that this is not the case.
    I am secure in my decision. That's why I say childfree. You see the distinction does have to be made as people who can't understand it will always doubt it.

    I'm not understanding what you mean when you say:
    'The overcompensating tone is pretty unbecoming, though. There's probably a reason beyond your history that your brother doesn't get much social value from your interactions beyond sharing these photos'.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •