Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Believing You Have ADHD

Platinum Member

Believing You Have ADHD

Hi guys, I'm am so frustrated with myself!

I am now convinced that as an adult, I have developed ADHD or just ADD.

I find it difficult focusing and concentrating on one subject at a time, for anthing longer than a few paragraphs at a time; it's gotten to the point where unless something captures my attention very early on, I become bored with it and move on, stop reading.

Books, articles, even the longer posts on relationship advice forums! Lol

I simply do not have the patience to make it through, what the hell is wrong with me?

The problem now is that I am studying for the LSAT and my focus on doing well is what is propelling me forward, and I hope that once in law school it will be the same as the curriculum involves tons and tons of reading!!

Several top attorneys I know, including those who graduated from Harvard and Stanford struggle with ADD and take meds for it, is this what I have to look forward to? Ugh.

I used to love to read, novels, bios, I could spend all day reading, but now as I said, unless something captures my attention from the get go, I will stop reading -- mind races with other thoughts, I lose focus, even happens when I watch movies and the tele.

What's wrong with me?

I have not mentioned to my doctor yet as I believe I have been in denial about it.

But it's been happening for too long now and I cannot deny it any longer.

Have any others experience this? Lack of focus and concentration?

I still have a great memory though, sharp as a tack which is definitely a positive and will serve me well in law school.

I just wish I had the ability to remain more focused though.

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    ADHD is a neurological disorder present in childhood. I donít believe there is adult onset. It had to be always present. My husband has severe ADHD. It was present and symptomatic in infancy.

Platinum Member
    Katrina, I believe you have mentioned a few times that you are bipolar aND do not take medication but rather rely on things like diet and yoga to manage it. Aren't the symptoms you're experiencing associated with bipolar? If so, could medication be an option?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    That is more my line of thinking .
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Katrina, I believe you have mentioned a few times that you are bipolar aND do not take medication but rather rely on things like diet and yoga to manage it. Aren't the symptoms you're experiencing associated with bipolar? If so, could medication be an option?

Platinum Member
    Thanks S; I just googled it and there are articles discussing ADD onset as adults.

I don't know maybe it's something else wrong with me then.
    Last edited by katrina1980; 08-16-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Ok, so how does oneís neurological development change ? It is listed as a neurological developmental disorder . How does one acquire that in adulthood it doesnít even make sense .

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Yes that is a possibility, which is unfortunate as I am loathe to get back on meds again.

But it make sense, I will see my doctor about it.

I did not relate it to the bipolar cause I only noticed within the last couple of months, and I've been off meds for years, managing symptoms on my own.

Maybe it's progressing?

I'm a bit scared now and will see my doctor.

Thanks bolt.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Ok, so how does oneís neurological development change ? It is listed as a neurological developmental disorder . How does one acquire that in adulthood it doesnít even make sense .
    I have no idea S, but you can Google it if interested, medical articles saying it's not just a kid thing, can develop in adults too.

Just going by what I briefly read.

Platinum Member
    I don't know if I have ADHD but I lose focus very easily as well. I don't know how bad it is for you Kat but I believe most people have a hard time focusing. I mean, you need to make conscious effort. I don't believe concentrating is easy. The majority of us get distracted easily. What works for me: when I have to concentrate on something, I just forbid myself to do anything else even if I lose focus. Usually it goes like this 1)lose focus 2) walk around 2-3 minutes, drink water or something 3) get back to the task. During this pause I forbid myself to eat, browse on the internet, watch TV etc. It's not easy, I wish I was one of those people who can concentrate for hours on end but ,well, I am not. Again, for me itís a conscious effort.

Maybe try this approach?

Platinum Member
    Thanks dias I'll try it!

I feel a bit better now knowing I'm not alone and that there's hope (without meds). xx

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice