Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you suggest a career based on my skills and interests ("Parachute" book)?

Can you suggest a career based on my skills and interests ("Parachute" book)?

Helllllloooooo

I'm unhappy with my current career, so I've been doing "some soul-searching" to find myself again. I've been going through the self-ID exercises in "What Color is Your Parachute" in order to rediscover my transferable skills and interests. Chapter 9 in the book asks me to pass these two lists to other people to see what careers (fields, titles, positions, etc.) they elicit. I'd be much appreciative if you took a stab as well...

Skills:
    1. Create, Invent
    2. Solve Problems
    3. Imagine
    4. Make, Produce
    5. Construct
    6. Shape, Sculpt, Model

Fields of Interest:
    1. Emerging Technology
    2. Science
    3. Nature
    4. Strategy Games (i.e. board games)

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Silver Member
    Landscape Architecture?

Video Game Design?

What is your education and experience? What are you qualified to do? Finding happiness is a combo of matching your talents, education, etc with your passions. Get an excellent profile with a good head shot photo up on LinkedIn. List your education and experience. Update your resume.

Upload your contact lists and see who is on there so you can start making "connections". Find former classmates, coworkers, etc. Truth is..."who you know" is still very important.

Join groups and clubs that reflect both personal and professional interests. For example join your high school and collage alumni associations. Join any associations that reflect you professional experience or interests. Also join some groups or clubs that interest you and reveal a civic/volunteerism side. The environment, animals, whatever. Become a well rounded person.

Be much more specific when referring to your skills and interests and demonstrate competence in those through examples. Anyone can say "I'm creative", etc.

Ever thought about starting your own business in a field that interests you? I've been self employed for 26 yrs and wouldn't have it any other way.

Platinum Member
    What comes to mind is potentially a degree in one of those fields plus internships. What is your degree /educational background in?

I agree that create and imagine are far too broad.

Platinum Member
    Your filtering process is not complete, as others have written.

Keep going!

Any scientific engineering.

That 'skills' list contains abstractions, not actual marketable skills. What field are you leaving, and which skills from that field are translatable to something else? Do you want to pursue more training, or do you want to make a direct transfer?

Platinum Member
    What is your current career?
    Most careers require a certain amount of creativity - even if its not inventing something, but thinking creatively.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    What is your education and experience? What are you qualified to do? Finding happiness is a combo of matching your talents, education, etc with your passions. Get an excellent profile with a good head shot photo up on LinkedIn. List your education and experience. Update your resume.
    I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. My work experience has been in technology consulting. Most of the work was very technical and detail-oriented, which I am not suited for. A bit of the work in user experience and design, which I did enjoy and feel suited for, but I do not think I have enough background here to be hired full time as a user experience designer or similar.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Be much more specific when referring to your skills and interests and demonstrate competence in those through examples. Anyone can say "I'm creative", etc.
    I realize this and it's frustrating. I'm fairly honest about my abilities, and I would never say that I'm hyper analytical or great with logistics, but I really am creative (imaginative, out of the box thinking, crafting). You're right, however, that everyone can and does say they're creative. But because I've been in a non-creative profession for so long, I do not have any great examples that I'd feel comfortable demonstrating in an interview. I mean, I wouldn't bring creative writing or some woodworking I've done to an interview.

I feel stuck because I have a work background that has not made use of my strongest abilities, and now I am having trouble conveying that I have them at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice