Trouble letting go of toxic relationship

We were together 5 months. It was the most passionate relationship I've ever had, but also the most toxic. She is an extraordinary beautiful girl, which I think mattered too much to me; I put up with a lot of things that I otherwise woudn't have. But it also helped me fall for her hard.

We began bickering about 3 months in to the relationship. It's like nothing I'd ever experienced that early on. She constantly had complaints about things and criticisms of me; she was never satisfied. She is very hot headed. I was constantly on edge once this began.

We both drank quite a bit. The drinking made the fights boil out of control, with screaming and whatnot. Last week, she got so mad that she shoved me as hard as she could. Unfortunately, I made the biggest mistake of my life and pushed her back, and she fell down. I never thought I'd push a girl down, and I feel awful about it. But she also shouldn't have gotten physical with me. Alcohol played a big role in that whole disaster. I barely remember it happening. (I've since admitted I have an alcohol problem and have gotten help).

This is the fifth time she's broken up with me. Maybe it's the sixth, who knows.

This time it's for real, and it's getting realer for me every passing day that I don't hear from her. It's been a week now.

After every previous breakup, she'd start texting me within a day, and eventually tell me she missed me and to come over. This time, she told me she was very sad and would miss me. Since then, she mostly hasn't responded to my messages, which have been few and far between. When she did respond yesterday, she made it clear that she was done. She was angry and cruel - she told me she was dating other guys already, and called me names when I was merely apologizing for my role in things and expressing that I didn't want to be enemies with her.

I've committed to not contacting her again, but it's been hard. I have thought about and journaled all the reasons she is wrong for me, but my heart keeps yearning for her, and my brain keeps coming up with ideas for texts. Why do I yearn for someone who I know is a bad match for me?

Why do I yearn for someone who I know is a bad match for me?

Because they are like a drug to us. You get your fix by making up and having them in your life but reality is that we know they are bad for us but we keep them there because we are used to them and we get our quick high knowing we will pay for the consequences later. It's up to you when you want to end this cycle.

You yearn simply out of the thrill of lust! She’s beautiful and exciting but with her comes a ton of drama! Unless you like the thrill from drama then I suggest you move on. Kudos to you for getting your drinking under control. Remember she’s toxic and would make you downward spiral easily with drinking.

Let this relationship be a mistake you learned from and an example of what you don’t want moving forward.

Lisa

You are simply going through withdrawl from your drug of choice called Bad Girlfriend. In time and with zero contact withdrawl, your drug will leave your system and you'll be clean and sober from her.

Do not let her hoover you back for more, block and delete her so she can't contact you and work on your REAL drug withdrawl from alcohol and concentrate on getting sober from that and clear of any childhood baggage you have that has you relying on alcohol to the extent you have been.

She is nuts, she is bad news, she is your trigger to all the inner demons rearing their ugly heads to you. Don't let your current withdrawl pains lead you back to the like of her. You need to work on you now so that your next relationship is a good one where you are partnered up with a healthy, functioning chicka... your ex was not that.

Sorry you're hurting, take it one day at a time and soon enough, you'll have rehabbed from her and the Bchit you were in with her.

Yes - they’ve actually done studies on stuff like this and break-ups are quite literally like coming off drugs. You feel a little crazy because you ARE a little crazy right now (we all are when going through this). It’s not a “sign” you should be together.

The truth of the matter is that if you make each other THAT crazy - and it’s already come to blows - it only gets worse from here. Do you want to end up in jail? Because that’s where this is going.

Delete her number off your phone (write it down and stick it in a closet somewhere if you have to)

Delete your texting history.

Keep yourself super busy - go to the gym, indulge in hobbies, throw yourself into work - whatever you have to do to keep your mind on other things and tire yourself out.

This too shall pass.

Aim higher for your next relationship. “Crazy” is exciting but it’s not healthy.

Believe me- it is toxic and will remain this way,

You were drawn thru unreal drama and will not get any better.

Best back away and walk & for your own sanity keep walking. She sounds somewhat unstable, and if so, you do

not want to be around to encounter more of that!

Seriously... consider your own safety and mentality.. and don't forget self respect.

Good that you caught on within just a few months of this.

YOu deserve something way better and more settled, yes!

And good on you for reaching out for help if you've got an alcy problem.

Give her fair warning. Let her know this is it. No more contact. Should she refuse to respect your wishes, then ghost and block.

You yearn for someone who is a bad match for you due to your low self esteem, lack of self confidence and low self worth. You feel this is all there is and this is all you deserve. I was this way. Granted, my story wasn't the same but eventually, you'll realize that you deserve to be with a person who treats you with respect, dignity, integrity, honor and as if your feelings matter.

It's a process. Think long and hard which takes weeks and months.

Thanks to all who responded!

Give her fair warning. Let her know this is it. No more contact. Should she refuse to respect your wishes, then ghost and block.

You yearn for someone who is a bad match for you due to your low self esteem, lack of self confidence and low self worth. You feel this is all there is and this is all you deserve. I was this way. Granted, my story wasn't the same but eventually, you'll realize that you deserve to be with a person who treats you with respect, dignity, integrity, honor and as if your feelings matter.

It's a process. Think long and hard which takes weeks and months.

She just blocked me, so that's that. I felt compelled to continue trying to make contact, despite promising myself I wouldn't. I deleted her number, but found I had it memorized. It really did feel like an addiction. Crazy.

I'm actually appreciative of her resolve. Someone had to end it, and I obviously didn't have the strength/courage/what have you.

The self-esteem, confidence and self-worth aspect is interesting. I'm not sure I lack those things, because I did set clear boundaries with her and made issue of their violation. But I couldn't extricate myself from it. It's pathetic but I think her beauty made me condone a lot more than I should have.

Continue getting help for drinking. You are lucky you weren't arrested for assault. You're also lucky she wasn't seriously hurt or killed when you pushed her. Unless you change, you can count on being in jail for DUIs, drunk and disorderly, assault, killing someone while driving or abusing them, etc. Or on a morgue slab. Learn to get comfortable with jumpsuits and chained ankles unless you get sober and make major changes. The choice is yours.

Continue getting help for drinking. You are lucky you weren't arrested for assault. You're also lucky she wasn't seriously hurt or killed when you pushed her. Unless you change, you can count on being in jail for DUIs, drunk and disorderly, assault, killing someone while driving or abusing them, etc. Or on a morgue slab. Learn to get comfortable with jumpsuits and chained ankles unless you get sober and make major changes. The choice is yours.

Point taken, but I was assaulted first.

No one is beautiful or good looking enough to put up with abuse. That makes them incredibly UGLY!!! If you have more self-esteem and self worth you would definitely see that . Look at this is a good learning experience and imagine life with kids with that person she would’ve abused those kids probably. And beauty is only skin deep in a few years the beauty will be gone and her ugly personality is going to still be there .

Thanks to all who responded!

She just blocked me, so that's that. I felt compelled to continue trying to make contact, despite promising myself I wouldn't. I deleted her number, but found I had it memorized. It really did feel like an addiction. Crazy.

I'm actually appreciative of her resolve. Someone had to end it, and I obviously didn't have the strength/courage/what have you.

The self-esteem, confidence and self-worth aspect is interesting. I'm not sure I lack those things, because I did set clear boundaries with her and made issue of their violation. But I couldn't extricate myself from it. It's pathetic but I think her beauty made me condone a lot more than I should have.

If you had any boundaries you would not have returned to the situation five times.

Your self worth is very low. Have you considered some therapy? Why didn't you block her?

You stayed in a crazy situation because she is hot. How sad!

If you had any boundaries you would not have returned to the situation five times.

Your self worth is very low. Have you considered some therapy? Why didn't you block her?

You stayed in a crazy situation because she is hot. How sad!

Yeah, it is sad and superficial that I put so much stock in her looks. I've never only cared about looks before. She was my dream girl and it hijacked my brain. But the beauty wasn't the only reason I didn't leave - it was also the fear of being alone and starting over.

I did start therapy two weeks ago and it's helped some.

Are you saying that I should block her now even though she's already blocked me?

No one is beautiful or good looking enough to put up with abuse. That makes them incredibly UGLY!!! If you have more self-esteem and self worth you would definitely see that . Look at this is a good learning experience and imagine life with kids with that person she would’ve abused those kids probably. And beauty is only skin deep in a few years the beauty will be gone and her ugly personality is going to still be there .

Good points, especially about being a mom. She has both mommy and daddy issues to boot, and I don't think it'll be pretty when she has kids. I do think I dodged a bullet.

Yeah, it is sad and superficial that I put so much stock in her looks. I've never only cared about looks before. She was my dream girl and it hijacked my brain. But the beauty wasn't the only reason I didn't leave - it was also the fear of being alone and starting over.

I did start therapy two weeks ago and it's helped some.

Are you saying that I should block her now even though she's already blocked me?

Good for you on starting therapy!

Block!! She may reach out again.

Yeah, it is sad and superficial that I put so much stock in her looks. I've never only cared about looks before.

Just a guess OP but was the sex good, like off the charts good?

If so, this may be more of a sexual addiction versus an addiction to her looks.

Like you said you've never cared about looks before, so there was something about this girl, beyond looks, that pulled you in so intensely and addictively.

Could be the sex, or your connection, or the chemistry/energy. Or all three, among other things.

Doesn't matter, now that you've identified it is an addiction of sorts, you can take steps to break it.

Blocking is the first step! Stay no contact. Remain strong.

I've been through this myself with my long term ex, took a good year to break the addiction and another year until I could say I was 100% emotionally free of it, and him.

Our relationship was longer though -- six years.

Yours was what, five months? Your healing should take a lot less time than mine took.

When you have seen the ugly side of a relationship and stay with a woman, it will just keep repeating itself. And I have seen couples like this hoping that things would change but they never do, until he realized that so much time and opportunity has passed that someone back there would have been the woman who would have truly loved and respected him.

Just a guess OP but was the sex good, like off the charts good?

If so, this may be more of a sexual addiction versus an addiction to her looks.

Like you said you've never cared about looks before, so there was something about this girl, beyond looks, that pulled you in so intensely and addictively.

Could be the sex, or your connection, or the chemistry/energy. Or all three, among other things.

Doesn't matter, now that you've identified it is an addiction of sorts, you can take steps to break it.

Blocking is the first step! Stay no contact. Remain strong.

I've been through this myself with my long term ex, took a good year to break the addiction and another year until I could say I was 100% emotionally free of it, and him.

Our relationship was longer though -- six years.

Yours was what, five months? Your healing should take a lot less time than mine took.

Sadly no! The sex was mediocre. Although she did do some things not many others have, so I'll miss that.

I really hope this takes less than a year. I'm 35 and need to get on with my life.

I'm really struggling with being blocked. In a way, this is really the beginning of the withdrawal. I'm dying to talk to her, even though I know she's no good for me. :(

I'm on vacation with my family yet feel lonesome af for her.

I feel abandoned and alone. She's already dating and has probably found my replacement already.

Sadly no! The sex was mediocre. Although she did do some things not many others have, so I'll miss that.

I really hope this takes less than a year. I'm 35 and need to get on with my life.

Blocking will help, why? Not to punish her, but to help YOU.

Because every time you get a ping that you received a text you won't be jumping like a puppy thinking/hoping it's from her.

That alone is very freeing!! It frees your mind from wondering if you will ever hear from her, and trust me, it really helps the healing process.

That and going no contact.

Also important is don't fight your pain and hurt right now. Just allow yourself to feel those uncomfortable emotions in all their truth and glory.

Cry, scream do whatever you have to.

Vigorous exercise helped me. I took up running! I still run for anxiety.

Yoga for calming.

I hear punching a punching bag at the gym helps although never did that. But it helps alleviate the anger.

In short, in order to heal and move on you have to learn to help yourself. Don't wallow. Don't start a zillion threads talking about it and telling us how hurt and pained you are. That will only keep you stuck.

Anyway, again I've been through it. There were days I wanted to end it all (my life). But I made it through with resilience and strength.

So will you I promise!!

I'm really struggling with being blocked. In a way, this is really the beginning of the withdrawal. I'm dying to talk to her, even though I know she's no good for me. :(

I'm on vacation with my family yet feel lonesome af for her.

I feel abandoned and alone. She's already dating and has probably found my replacement already.

Zero contact which includes no stalking her social media. What you don't know, won't hurt you and turn off your brain to her when you have run-away thoughts about her being with someone else.

You can't quit your drug if you keep having another hit of it.

Zero contact which includes no stalking her social media. What you don't know, won't hurt you and turn off your brain to her when you have run-away thoughts about her being with someone else.

You can't quit your drug if you keep having another hit of it.

Exactly! Cold turkey withdrawal is a bytch but it's absolutely necessary!

If you truly want to heal OP, promise yourself that no matter how hard it is, how horrible you feel, you need to go through it otherwise you will never heal and move on like you say you want to.

It takes A LOT of strength. And resolve. But hell if I can do it, you can do it!

Exactly! Cold turkey withdrawal is a bytch but it's absolutely necessary!

If you truly want to heal OP, promise yourself that no matter how hard it is, how horrible you feel, you need to go through it otherwise you will never heal and move on like you say you want to.

It takes A LOT of strength. And resolve. But hell if I can do it, you can do it!

Thanks. It's crazy how hard this is. I've had other tough breakups, but nothing this hard. And this was the worst relationship I've had.

I think the breaking up/getting back together routine made it harder.

Archived