Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trust issues

spelling

you're absolutely right.

Platinum Member
    Itís a decision, IMO. Right now you are stuck in a state of indecisiveness.

Picture yourself at the crossroads in the woods.

You can decide to trust and take path A. You can never know if that path leads off a cliff. No one can see into the future. You can only make your assessment off of what you see now. This path has itís risks and rewards.

Otherwise, you can choose path B. You decide itís too risky and you simply break up with him. This path may or may not ALSO lead off a cliff. There is no way of knowing.

I think your fear stems from the fear of making the wrong decision. Hereís the thing, though... we are all human and we all have to make decisions. Some are going to be right. Some are going to be wrong. You canít beat yourself up over all the wrong ones. Itís not productive. All we can do is our best based on the information we have at the time.

The only way forward, IMO, is to make a decision and move forth with confidence. Time may prove it to be right - or wrong - but there is nothing you can do about that. Give yourself permission not to be perfect and to make mistakes. Be kinder to yourself. Iím sure you would not judge others as harshly as you judge yourself.

Thatís my advice. Make a decision. Donít second guess it. Move forth with confidence regardless of the path you take. Itís the only way, IMO.

a year ago i found out he had been messaging a girl from his past behind my back, telling her she looked amazing etc.
    Why would someone keep messages on his phone from a year ago.. good grief???? Whoops sorry, read that wrong.

Anyway: If he hasn't messaged her since then I don't think you have anything to worry about particularly now that he knows that it is a romantic relationship boundary to be messaging other women and telling them how amazing they look.

He has stopped messaging her right? This did take place over a year ago, right?

Why not get together and decide not to drink too much. It seems to bring out the worst in both of you.
    Originally Posted by ppp86
    I have been with my partner for 3 years and our life is almost perfect apart from one niggling matter that comes up alot when we have a drink..

and he says he was drunk when he sent it.

You partner messages a girl from his past behind your back, telling her she looked amazing. I wouldn't trust him anymore. He's betraying your trust and he's deceitful.

What he did is a deal breaker.

I prefer to have a partner whom I could trust if my life depended on him.

There is something sneaky about your partner. I couldn't continue being with him knowing what I know. However, that's just me. Perhaps you're different.

Thanks. i actually thought when i wrote on here i would be told to "get over it". In a weird way its comforting to know what im feeling is normal after what he has done.

No he hasnt messaged her since. It took place over a year ago and i have been struglling with it ever since. i love my boyfriend very much so i thought this would be enough to get past it. But i cant

No he hasnt messaged her since. It took place over a year ago and i have been struglling with it ever since. i love my boyfriend very much so i thought this would be enough to get past it. But i cant
    Then let him go.

A few good lessons here for you -- I don't mean lessons as in learning from your mistakes. Not at all. I mean, growing into someone who will attract and retain the relationship you seem to want.

To get what you want, you have to be ready to walk away from what you have. Either you want it or you don't.

To get someone who is transparent, and who doesn't need the affirmation of other women, you need to be honest too -- that means, owning these feelings about his drunk texting, and owning your right to choose to walk away.

He did not do anything wrong. Or he did. Its not for you to say.

What he did is something you wouldnt do, and something you wouldn't want your bf to do, and it suggests you two are in different places or have different value systems. You want something serious and you want to know each of you will draw a fence around it and protect it. He won't, so he isn't your guy.

Well, you have trust issues from the previous relationship brought into this one. And his text does not help.

If the counseling is not working, there is a saying - get a second opinion...... talk to some other counselors.......find one who is skilled in this area. Tell them you have "Trust Issues". Yes, it's a real mental issue, very well known.

perfect apart from one niggling matter that comes up alot when we have a drink.. mostly on my part.
    Ehhh, be honest with yourself. You're the one who brings it up, not 'mostly,' but always, unless BF is stupid or manipulative enough to want to keep this alive. Right?

So explain this better. What, exactly, do you say when you resurrect this to BF? How does he respond? Is he patient and reassuring, or does he sigh, groan, or otherwise tell you that you were both having fun, and now you're ruining a great night or afternoon with the same old song?

There's a difference between thoughts and behaviors. It's one thing to hold insecurities and to know the source of one of those--that's internal. It's another thing to sabotage your relationship by raising something from the past that BF is powerless to change today. So you get to decide whether YOUR behavior is something you're willing to work out with a therapist as you move forward into the future with the BF by remaining in the present, OR, whether you want to erode your relationship and bring about the destruction of it by continually using it as a weapon of harm.

Healthy couples can repair their relationship after an indiscretion because they've made the choice to be on the same side to support one another--and they behave that way. You get to decide whether you want to behave as a healthy partner while you work through your insecurities on your own. Another option is to see whether BF will attend couple's counseling with you so that a professional can help you gain any assurances from BF that you don't believe you've gotten from him so far. But your current behavior is the opposite of healthy 'work,' it pits you against your BF as an adversary, leaving him nowhere to go--but out.

It's a decision. Choose wisely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice