How did you guys get motivated again?

turtlemaster

Hi,

I've been living in the city trying to finish off school. I have one more year left to go but I decided I needed a break as I'd been feeling burn out.

The problem is that I am no longer motivated anymore. For the past few years I've always given my 200% with everything whether it was work, relationships and even hobbies. But this year I kinda let all of that go because I lost control of a lot of things such as work & relationships.

I took time to just be lazy and take a rest but now I am kinda lost. I feel like I fell out of love with everything that was giving me joy and don't know where to start. I want to move and start fresh somewhere else but I still have to finish off school and save up money. I've been focusing more on health and getting a new job but I still feel trapped. Is there any specific thing I can try?

Thank You

I find that we become motivated when we have to become motivated.

Why do you feel trapped? Because you have to finish school, save money and look for a job? That's what most people have to do.

You already know what you have to do. Set some really specific goals. Where do you want to move eventually? What do you want in a relationship, etc. And then work towards those goals. If you're feeling sorry for yourself, think about how fortunate you are to be able to go to school and get a job.

So I was going to give similar input unless you also feel you should get checked out for potential depression. Break up your goals into much smaller steps with small "rewards" if you complete a step. Work and relationships are each huge goals - so thinking of it in those terms - cumulatively -is a recipe for being burnt out before you start. What can you accomplish today? This week? I also find that making to do lists and checking things off is very satisfying.

This may be a bit of a dark reply, but I don't think life is about motivation. Sometimes we have to keep doing even when we don't feel that spark of joy. That's not to say that it is unimportant to discover motivation for tasks, but if it's your only driving factor in life, you are going to inevitably hit lulls and struggle.

I focus a lot more on disciplining myself to move forward even when I don't feel particularly motivated. I remind myself of what my goals were (usually developed under motivation) and keep making hard choices to reach them. Obviously, this is easier said than done, but there's my two cents for you.

What you're feeling is temporary. You will feel a lot worse if you stop working towards your goal of a degree and then have to start over. Keep plugging along and soon it'll be done! Then it'll be a major source of stress that's behind you and you won't have to worry about it ever again.

Yes make an appt with a doctor and get a complete checkup to rule out metabolic, neurochemical or other physical and medically treatable problems. Ask for a referral to a therapist to sort some things out.

Read up on some signs and symptoms of medically treatable issues including anhedonia and amotivation: https://www.mentalhealth.gov/what-to-look-for

I feel like I fell out of love with everything that was giving me joy and don't know where to start. I've been focusing more on health and getting a new job but I still feel trapped.
  • 2 weeks later...

Take the break if you feel burnt out and take care of yourself. I've reduced my workload also significantly this past year. There's no shame in thinking creatively or finding new solutions to a happier you or a better lifestyle. Things will come to you naturally when you give yourself time to breathe. I second SGH's mention that some things are things that you just have to buckle down and do. Take it in stride and come to terms with your goals and your future on your own. I hope things feel better soon.

Archived