Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here not date for awhile due to financial reasons?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    But if you look at it it is not just for a room. If you eat there, shower there , etc etc etc it adds up. I charge my son to live at home and he is on disability. People HAVE to be responsible for their own lives. Kids are SUPPOSED to grow and be independent not stick at home forever because it is convenient or whatever.

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    But if you look at it it is not just for a room. If you eat there, shower there , etc etc etc it adds up. I charge my son to live at home and he is on disability. People HAVE to be responsible for their own lives. Kids are SUPPOSED to grow and be independent not stick at home forever because it is convenient or whatever.
    In my experience in FL, rooms rent out for a price that includes water, cable, etc. The only "extras" is what you buy for yourself for food to keep in the fridge.

Originally Posted by WithLove
    I think that if you continue to wait until the "time is right", then you'll be waiting forever.

You don't have to do nice expensive dates. You can do nice cheap dates while you're still learning about who the other person is. Ice cream dates, beach walk dates, park picnic dates, coffee shop dates... etc.
    Disagree with the first part but agree with the second.

me personally, if I saw you pull up in a pinto and tell me you still live at home and you treat me to steak and lobster, Im going to assume youre terrible with finances and not a good match.

Thats why I disagree with the first part, there is no 'perfect' time but there definitely is a wrong time. We attract what we put out, someone whos life is in influx has a lot going on, and may only attach others who also dont have their life together, could work out, could be a disaster. Confidence is also a huge factor in dating, if youre insecure about your life, you may project that on your dates, you may latch on believeing theyre the only 'good' thing in your life...its just all bad...

Platinum Member
    I don't think the car is the issue. when my guy buys a car, he keeps it a minimum of 12 years, the record is 15. I always buy cars that are older. i would be more concerned if it looks like you smack up the car and are a terrible driver or it looks like an ash tray. Lots of people are frugal, and as long as the car is clean - who cares. There are millionaires who drive pretty basic or older cars and they are wealthy due to frugality.

Living with mom is an issue unless you are in an ethnic group where its expected (except college aged, etc). Debt may or may not be depending on what the debt is. If its because of extremely poor choices (gambling, charging a car to your credit card when you had no money) that's one matter. If you have a student loan and medical bills - that's another.

you say that apartments are $2000 + == what about moving to a different area. And i am sure someone has an in-law apartment for less, or if its a trendy area with a lot of young professionals, there is always someone looking to share a house -- one guy owns the house and can't quite afford it now that he is divorced or has a job where he travels a lot and has 1-2 other roommates around the same age. When i looked i was intimidated by high rents, but moving 20 minutes away and finding somene with a multifamily house - i paid half the amount.+

Hi JDMxTeGrA101. I live alone, own a car, and are currently between career assignments. Like you I also get lonely and feel depressed at times. I can say you're doing a lot better than me in the dating department. Even when I was employed I couldn't find a date to save my life. As far as taking my mind off dating, the only advice I can offer is to pursue your hobbies or work on projects. I know easier said than done. Outside of that I spend time with my folks at least once a week to catch up on stuff. Then I occasionally visit friends when they are available. It's also nice to have people to talk to online if you need to vent. As far as your thread subject title, I am purposely not looking for dates right now due to having no income. I think it's great that you're setting goals to better yourself. Right now I'm also in the process of rebuilding my life financially.

Platinum Member
    On Match you can specify a preference for income. I've had many women specify an income of 75k. In this part of Canada that is a fair amount of money. Living costs are reasonable and 75 is a good wage. Median household in this province was 61k according to 2016 census.

I hid my income on Match because I don't think it's anyone's business until I get to know them. And quite frankly it's not my strong suite. I make O.K, but there's child support, some bad real estate investments etc. I look after myself and live a good quality of life.

I would often get an email from a woman who made more, and preferred her dating partner made the same or more. I would often say, "I would very much like to meet you, I think we would get along fine, but I will be upfront and say I don't meet your income criteria". In every single case they declined to continue talking. I've also many women in my social circles claim it's a deal breaker if the man doesn't make the same as them. I'm not trying to paint a picture whereby "women just want money". That's not true. But my experience is, it seems very important that men make the same as women.

With that information there's only so much you can do. Simply avoid any women who have a strict criteria for money. It's their prerogative. Just as it's a man's prerogative to date women that are healthy and lean. No one male or female should apologise for their preferences. I accepted that I would be ruled out by a lot of women based on my income. Even though my income is above the median. There simply isn't anything I can do about that. So I learned not to worry about it. I thought about ways to reduce debt and/or make more. But that's not who I am. I would rather spend precious time running, writing or doing other hobbies than working or worrying about money.

I have other strengths, and that's what I emphasised, and that's what I lead with.

To answer your question more directly, no, I never let financial reasons stop me from dating. I was unemployed once and still managed to date. I could tell by most women's body language, or direct language :) that this was a problem. Most didn't have a problem with it. I also agree with what many others have said. If you wait till you're ready you'll never get out there. Play the game of continuous improvement and keep on trucking.

Ultimately for me, fitness and confidence became my secret weapon. Especially in my age group. People tend to gravitate toward healthy, energetic fun people. Don't worry about the bank, get running/dancing/lifting/cycling/karate etc.....

Originally Posted by Sportster2005
    To answer your question more directly, no, I never let financial reasons stop me from dating. I was unemployed once and still managed to date. I could tell by most women's body language, or direct language :) that this was a problem. Most didn't have a problem with it. I also agree with what many others have said. If you wait till you're ready you'll never get out there. Play the game of continuous improvement and keep on trucking.
    My burning question is how did you deal or respond with her question of "What do you do for work/living?"?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by beatlesfan77
    My burning question is how did you deal or respond with her question of "What do you do for work/living?"?
    You say "I do [describe general area of work]. Then say "right now I am between projects and actively searching for a new assignment." I did date men who were temporarily unemployed as long as I knew why, and that they were actively looking for work. I did not date men who were not financially stable (I was, wanted the same) and I did date men whose income was lower than mine if they were financially stable. I don't think $ numbers really tell the whole story. Someone who works for a nonprofit is likely to make less and might have more job stability than, let's say, a day trader making big $ right now annually but who knows what next year will bring (or sales based only on commissions etc).

For 11 years before I got married and became a mom, and while I was single (sometimes in serious relationships including with my husband 3 years before we married)I saved my $ so that if I married someone who didn't make enough to be the sole provider during my longer maternity leave (which is what I always wanted) I could kick in $ from my savings to be the equivalent of contributing an income. Turned out I didn't need to do that but because I wanted to feel like I was contributing when I was home full time, I did it anyway. I add that because my wanting someone financially stable/employed/educated had nothing to do with being high maintenance or anything of the kind.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    You say "I do [describe general area of work]. Then say "right now I am between projects and actively searching for a new assignment."
    I can see how that would work. Great information. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with abitbroken, not sure why the car thing matters. My car just hit 10 years old and it's in good condition. If someone judged me for driving an older, owned outright car versus paying a high car not for a new one... pfft, I wouldn't even want to consider them for a date. That's not someone with good financial sense!

Why are you taking out these women to expensive dates/dinners? Meet for coffee and cheap dates for a while before you invest in them. You don't even know if they are worth your time yet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice