Navigating from local work to remote within company

Hi!

Maybe some of you have been in this situation and can give me some advice or pointers.

My fiancé, little daughter and I are wanting to relocate to my home country. We both work for the same company here in the states and have been there many years. He’s the supervisor of one of the departments. Ideally, he’d like to work for them remotely for a certain amount of time in my country, at least until he finds something better suited locally. This would put us in a great spot financially and take the burden off of applying to places from overseas.

So here’s my question: how do we bring this up the best way? They have let someone work remotely before and it worked out fine. Granted the time difference was not as large as we’d be dealing with (7 hours), but with the work we do it’s doable I think. If this doesn’t work out we’d be trying to find other work, but I’m afraid it might somehow ruin our security here... I’ve never dealt with anything like this so I’m really not sure what the most diplomatic way to go about it would be.

Any tipps would be greatly appreciated!

Sit down with management and ask if that's even a possibility from their perspective for your particular position. See what they say and what concerns they raise, so you can then discuss it further and address how those concerns can be addressed or handled. Understand that ultimately, it's not your perspective that matters, but theirs. If they don't see the position as being viable remotely and aren't willing to consider it or simply don't like that kind work set up, you have your answer.

The company will likely be most concerned about how he manages to supervise his department remotely. In the other example of the employee who also worked remotely, was he also at a supervisory level or in the same department?

Think about it and brainstorm together if you can and think from the company's position (in the best interests of the organization). You might be better able to anticipate the concerns and issues that the company brings up in any discussions and be able to work through solutions or offer solutions during any talks.

Archived