Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How can I negotiate for a higher rate at new babysitting job?

Originally Posted by Tinydance
    First and foremost, is your car insured for driving this child? If not then I would say it's not even really legal for you to be doing that.

Just as an example though. I'm a disability support worker and I have to use my own car for work. I also have to use my own phone for work. But I am hired officially by the books by a proper company and I can claim those expenses on tax to get a larger tax return. I get paid an hourly wage, plus mileage on top of that for driving. Of course I don't get paid to get to and from work.

However, if for example my shift was 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. drop person to school, then 3 p.m. pick person up, if I agreed to that split shift then I most likely would not be paid for the hours in between the two shifts. So between the two split shifts I'd have to drive back home or go somewhere to kill time. I would not be paid for that break time either per hour or per mileage. My job does not pay me any hourly wage or petrol during times I'm not actually working.

So in your case, if you are using your own phone, car and petrol a lot in this job and you are spending your own money on that, you could reconsider doing this job. At the end of the day you don't want to be out of pocket too much. And if you are hired for cash in hand then you can't claim any of this on tax. On the other hand you obviously don't pay any tax either.

I would recommend though just in general to try to get a job with an actual company where you are protected by laws and regulations and you receive proper wages.
    Okay, I hear you. So I shouldn't be asked to pay for the time I'm not transporting?

She agreed to meet this evening.

Originally Posted by oheyitsfaith
    Not paying taxes.
    I have insurance.
    Qualifications: first aid, CPR, Certified nursing assistant (3 years), experience with infants/toddlers/tweens and teens
    So no professional driving experience nor professional childcare experience (or any actual credentials around childcare for that matter). You're going up **** Creek without paddle asking for comparable pay with regard to either flat rate or mileage.

I'm operating on the assumption you actually want to keep this gig for the spare cash. If you really don't care either way whether they take you up on it or if you end up walking, then by all means, ask for the moon.

Platinum Member
    That's like me saying I've bandaged my kids' boo boos and changed their diapers and given them cough syrup so I want to be paid the same amount as a registered nurse.

It doesn't fly.

And both the tax man and the insurance company can bite you hard if you don't do things properly.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by oheyitsfaith
    Okay, I hear you. So I shouldn't be asked to pay for the time I'm not transporting?

She agreed to meet this evening.
    Well, no, because I really don't think any job would pay for time that a person is NOT actually working. It's an uncomfortable set up where you have to do the split shift, but that is the nature of your job, is to drive this girl. You agree to this work so the parents are under the impression that you are fine with it. You could ask for a higher hourly wage for your inconvenience but you can't really ask to be paid for time where you're not driving the girl, hence you are not working. No jobs pay you while you're not working or time you drive to and from a job. Sometimes I have to drive an hour each way to a client and it's frustrating because I'm using my own petrol but if I don't like it, I can get another job. If you're doing everything the job entails and not being mistreated, then to the employer it looks like you're actually fine with that job. If you're not fine with it then you can leave. Also you don't pay any tax so while other people may get paid a bit more, tax would be taken out and at the end of the day they would not receive all the money they actually earnt.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Tinydance
    Well, no, because I really don't think any job would pay for time that a person is NOT actually working. It's an uncomfortable set up where you have to do the split shift, but that is the nature of your job, is to drive this girl. You agree to this work so the parents are under the impression that you are fine with it. You could ask for a higher hourly wage for your inconvenience but you can't really ask to be paid for time where you're not driving the girl, hence you are not working. No jobs pay you while you're not working or time you drive to and from a job. Sometimes I have to drive an hour each way to a client and it's frustrating because I'm using my own petrol but if I don't like it, I can get another job. If you're doing everything the job entails and not being mistreated, then to the employer it looks like you're actually fine with that job. If you're not fine with it then you can leave. Also you don't pay any tax so while other people may get paid a bit more, tax would be taken out and at the end of the day they would not receive all the money they actually earnt.
    Agree. Also, she can work on picking up a house sitting job (someone needs their mail taken in, plants water and fish fed while they are away), or something like that to stop in at in between.

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    Agree. Also, she can work on picking up a house sitting job (someone needs their mail taken in, plants water and fish fed while they are away), or something like that to stop in at in between.
    For sure. This seems like a job that would make sense to stick with only if it is already worked with the rest of your day. If you can run errands in that area anyways, study, work, or whatever.. then great.
    If not, there are a lot of other side hustles than would mean less liability, not waiting in a split, and bigger pay.

Platinum Member
    So typically in that situation you would be a full time nanny where in the down time you would be expected to clean the house or prep dinner or run errands -and be paid for the "down time". Maybe not an hourly rate but then a daily rate.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    So typically in that situation you would be a full time nanny where in the down time you would be expected to clean the house or prep dinner or run errands -and be paid for the "down time". Maybe not an hourly rate but then a daily rate.
    Right, this was how I was paid when I did a short stint as a nanny. I was on the clock from 6-6pm while their dad was at work. This was so much simpler as I'd get paid by the day, plus any gas used if he suggested a special activity he'd like me to take them to. Also, he covered the costs of any outings he asked for.
    Sometimes I'd treat the kids on my money, but that was only when I chose to.

Something like this would give you evenings for studying.
    Or you could go a whole other direction work wise.

Platinum Member
    I have cpr and first aid certification too, as well as nearly 14 years babysitting experience looking after my younger sister, and I'm in law. So uh...10 years babysitting your own sibling doesn't really count.

I'm sorry but you're expecting way too much. I think wanting 20+, being unqualified and lacking actual experience is quite... Idealistic. You are only driving this child, it's not really a difficult job is it? 🤔

Also remember uber takes a cut of your overall charge.

Platinum Member
    The plans to raise your cost up to 35 per hour is hilarious. That's not realistic at all.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice