Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I negotiate for a higher rate at new babysitting job?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    They have FB groups for every career out there. Join one and ask what they charge.

Also bear in mind you're not a licensed TLC driver to compare against their rates. And even if Uber / Lyft could pay better, you are benefiting from your constant "client" being a benign 10-year old girl whose biggest risk to you and your vehicle is being particularly annoying on any given day. That's not to say you shouldn't ask for what you feel you deserve, but I wouldn't assume making yourself more commercially available and playing roulette with a bunch of strangers in the back seat of your personal vehicle to be just some lateral move.

Honestly, I'd treat this as an extra cash situation and I'd keep your negotiations grounded in that sentiment. Then, at the end of the day, it's either worth it to you or it isn't.

So I searched up some certified babysitter companies in my area and called one located in Dallas, TX. The lady, who's 76, was lividdd. She said I should charge for the time I'm on call, not the time with the girl. For example, my time tomorrow will be 1-5:45. Picking her up at 1, then dropping her by 2, picking her up at 5, then staying with her until 5:45. That their company pays $12/hr for the minimum of just four hours. And I need to charge 50 cents for mileage and expenses. That it's a business & I should treat it as such bc they're basically underpaying me. They're paying me $34 for this time tomorrow.

So I'm willing to continue to pay the job if they pay me $12/hr for the hours plus 50 cents per mileage.

I just don't know how to start the convo. Do I just state my offer or ask if they're willing to change the rate first?

You could just be honest and tell them that you weren't aware of the gas and maintenance expenses that your vehicle would go through, and for that reason, you are going to have to renegotiate your pay. Show them your research and state that you will accept $12/hour plus 50 cents per mile. This is business, yeah, but it's under the table and they are friends of the family (I think I read that part). But you still can't basically take a loss even if they are friends. You're there to work.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by oheyitsfaith
    So I searched up some certified babysitter companies in my area and called one located in Dallas, TX. The lady, who's 76, was lividdd. She said I should charge for the time I'm on call, not the time with the girl. For example, my time tomorrow will be 1-5:45. Picking her up at 1, then dropping her by 2, picking her up at 5, then staying with her until 5:45. That their company pays $12/hr for the minimum of just four hours. And I need to charge 50 cents for mileage and expenses. That it's a business & I should treat it as such bc they're basically underpaying me. They're paying me $34 for this time tomorrow.

So I'm willing to continue to pay the job if they pay me $12/hr for the hours plus 50 cents per mileage.

I just don't know how to start the convo. Do I just state my offer or ask if they're willing to change the rate first?
    If this is a business then you need a business license and call your insurance company and tell them you are using the car to transport kids as a business. Also you need to report your income on income tax.

This is what I do.

Are you a certified babysitter? Of course lady's gonna be livid because you're essentially the equivalent to a scab in the eyes of the industry in which she's made a career for herself. Fact is you're not a business. People don't hire people under the table or on the side to pay market rate, nor do people do side work for an extra buck expecting it. If you want to be comp'ed the same as Gladys, go the route Gladys went. If you wanna circumvent the proper and professional channels, then I'd keep your expectations much more grounded. I could go around the neighborhood offering tiling services on the side during my Friday afternoons off, but there's no way anyone's going to pay me, some dude, as much as an actual and reputable flooring company. You don't get to pull an odd job and just assume the same value as an industry professional. It's just not how it works.

Do I think you could be getting a better deal? Absolutely. But you decide to throw around 4-hour minimums at market rate and top it off with $0.50/mile premiums, and they've got no reason not to just go to Gladys' company and pay a comparable amount for the much added benefit of accountability.
    Last edited by j.man; 06-04-2019 at 01:50 PM.

I'm not certified. The woman just advised I should treat it as a business, that I should be paid by the hour because it's like I'm on call. Okay I'm getting confused. Should I not ask for the 12/hr or...? Because they're not paying for me mileage at all. Instead of 50 cents, should I say 30 cents? Or let them pick the amount? I'm so confused.

I applied for this website through Care.com.

Originally Posted by WithLove
    You could just be honest and tell them that you weren't aware of the gas and maintenance expenses that your vehicle would go through, and for that reason, you are going to have to renegotiate your pay. Show them your research and state that you will accept $12/hour plus 50 cents per mile. This is business, yeah, but it's under the table and they are friends of the family (I think I read that part). But you still can't basically take a loss even if they are friends. You're there to work.
    That's what I was thinking of doing. But I don't know if I should say that amount or first find out what they are willing to raise it to? As of now, they're paying 14/hr for the 6 mile drive (not counting mileage, but only paying for the time spent with the girl, which is 14) & 20/hr for the 35 mile drive (again, not counting mileage, but only paying for the time spent with the girl, which is 2 hrs = $40).

Platinum Member
    Are you reporting your income and paying taxes on it? Does your vehicle have adequate coverage as a business vehicle?

Paying taxes results in tax benefits, btw.

Platinum Member
    Honestly, they are paying you a more than fair wage. If you are being paid $20 an hour to transport her, think of yourself of getting your normal rate of $12 plus gas money. Run errands or plan your things in betwee or if you don't like the split schedule, take the morning or the afternoon and have them find someone else to do the rest.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice