Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I negotiate for a higher rate at new babysitting job?

You're right. So I just googled IRS 2019 charge per mile. The average is 58 cents, which means I would have been paid $45 for the miles plus the $40 (20 per hr). So basically deserved $80.

So I'm going to charge about 50 cents for mileage. I'm just gonna ask, if they're willing to pay for mileage plus my hourly rate? If not, I'm out.

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs

But I think itís fair to say after doing the driving, you think you deserve compensation for both your time and your gas, as you didnít realize how much gas this would consume. I would keep with an hourly rate for you plus a mileage expense. The IRS rate is like 56 cents a mile which I think is quite high. Come up with one that covers your gas. If you get 25 MPG, for instance, and a gallon is $2.85, then 12 ish cents a gallon covers you, so bump it to 15 maybe.

For example.
    15 cents per mile right?

Platinum Member
    Do research on google and look for local Facebook groups for babysitters to see what the going rate is. Iíve never had anyone drive my child around but if I did Iíd pay for gas etc - whatever was typical. And when I had a motherís helper come to me from a distance I paid for her transportation (bus fare from the suburbs ) because she could have gotten a local job. Plus $15/hour 6 years ago. And she is my niece!

Originally Posted by Batya33
    Do research on google and look for local Facebook groups for babysitters to see what the going rate is. Iíve never had anyone drive my child around but if I did Iíd pay for gas etc - whatever was typical. And when I had a motherís helper come to me from a distance I paid for her transportation (bus fare from the suburbs ) because she could have gotten a local job. Plus $15/hour 6 years ago. And she is my niece!
    The average rate in my area (Texas) is 15.50 per hour. They're paying me 14 per hour. I'm gonna ask if they're willing to pay 15/hr for the 6 mile drive and 25/hr for the 35 mile drive PLUS 48 cents per mile.

Is that reasonable?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I would suggest flat rate for distances because $80 to drive a kid everyday is pretty pricey. Where I am all day infant care is not even that much.

But the difference here is driving. And the girl is 10.

The long distance would only be $80. I'm only driving her 6 miles next week and the weeks afterwards.

Read up what nannies in your area charge. This is more than babysitting.

Ya I agree, you should see what the competition charges and bring that to the table. If they reject that, ditch the job. I bet money on it once they start looking at what it really costs to hire someone to do this they will reconsider.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice