Made redundant after 14 years

Hi guys,

I am a long time lurker but this is my first post asking for advise so please go easy on me !

Yesterday I given notice that I am going to be made redundant at the end of the month after 14+ years with my company. While I was expecting this to happen by the end of the year it has still come as a shock. I'm still waiting to find out what sort of a package I am going to be offered but I am really worrying now about having to find a new job. My confidence isn't the best and I'm not great at highlighting my skills (tend to dwell on what I can't do rather than what I can). I guess really I'm asking is how can I improve my sense of self worth so that I can give myself the best possible shot of getting a new job sooner rather than later ? Is life coaching something maybe that would help me with this ?

Ask for a written reference from your current employer.

Also ask for a meeting for an honest description of how they valued you for 14 years and ask what they thought your strong points were and what weaknesses you could improve on.

It’s daunting to get out there again after so long of never having to apply elsewhere.

If you have any friends in the position of hiring and interviewing regardless of the field of employment , ask them to help write your resume?

The fact that you stayed with a company for 14+ years will stand out a lot in a world where most people jump jobs every few years. Your stability and longevity speaks for itself and will attract a lot of positive attention.

As for interviews, I look for people who are genuine rather than faking confidence.

As for the negative self talk, yes of course doing something about that, a life coach, self help books, whatever you think will help you get past that and make you feel better about yourself is good and time and money well spent.

Hi guys,

I am a long time lurker but this is my first post asking for advise so please go easy on me !

Yesterday I given notice that I am going to be made redundant at the end of the month after 14+ years with my company. While I was expecting this to happen by the end of the year it has still come as a shock. I'm still waiting to find out what sort of a package I am going to be offered but I am really worrying now about having to find a new job. My confidence isn't the best and I'm not great at highlighting my skills (tend to dwell on what I can't do rather than what I can). I guess really I'm asking is how can I improve my sense of self worth so that I can give myself the best possible shot of getting a new job sooner rather than later ? Is life coaching something maybe that would help me with this ?

I am sorry to hear this OP.... we are currently going through a restructure at my company and I know many have been impacted in this way, it's scary especially when you have been with them for such a long time.

I have been doing some career coaching for those that are part of the restructure, and how you are feeling is a common theme. You haven't had to look at your skills or think about how to articulate your value in a long time. I definitely advocate for finding a coach that will help you uncover your strengths and to help you build a plan of action for how you will communicate those to a future hiring manager.

This also might be a good time to evaluate how you feel about your career path and see if you want to explore other options. Perhaps going back to school or doing some training to move in another direction. A life coach can help you sort alot of that out.

I'd try looking at the job market in the industries you're interested in working in or have experience in. I've never used a life coach so I'm not sure how useful that is but if you feel that's right for you, I don't see why not. You should be planning now for the future. Don't wait for the severance package.

If you can afford to see a life or professional job seeking coach with an in person appointment, I would definitely go that route. They can tell you what you need to improve upon regarding the vibe you give, how you are perceived professionally, personality wise and polish up your resume. It always helps to get other opinions.

Make sure you have an overlap. Secure the second job before you leave your first job if you cannot afford to be without a weekly paycheck. Think of your financial health, be shrewd and prudent.

Sorry to hear this. Will you qualify for unemployment? Do you have funds to tide you over? Start by getting on professional sites. Hopefully you already have an excellent LinkedIn profile with a recent professional head shot and a list of your education, experience and skills. Start uploading your contact lists there and making "connections" from your work. Join some professional organizations. Upload a recent and relevant resume. Reset your settings to allow employers to contact you. That is all passive job searching.

Clean up your social media and internet presence, it's routine that prospective employers are scanning them. Remove too much personal info, pics etc and completely reset your privacy settings.

Continue to actively look on various job listing sites. Start taking some professionally related courses and updating your skill set. "Life coaches" tend to be a rip off. If you would like some real professional help with related anxieties go to a licensed certified therapist to sort through this transition.

Yesterday I given notice that I am going to be made redundant at the end of the month after 14+ years with my company. My confidence isn't the best and I'm not great at highlighting my skills (tend to dwell on what I can't do rather than what I can).

Archived