He tried it on with his best friend during our relationship

Lauelle

I'm needing advice, my ex boyfriend 40years broke up with me just over a month ago. Although he told me "I am perfect for him, and he is so in love with me" he said he can't be perfect for me right now. He was in pieces.

He need s space and time and I getting therapy which is fantastic. OVER THE 3 year relationship he was a big drinker and used coke & mana, he has a high pressure job in the city and has a hobby in acting also. We didn't live together but I hope we would soon, I am 40 also.

Since the split I've had his best friend tell me he that ex asked him quite persistently for sex. Apparently it happen more than once but didn't happen as his friend is happily married to his wife.

I've been giving my ex minimal contact, like he asked for,but now I've all sorts running through my mind.He also went on holiday with his male friend twice a year, where they would get high together.

Should I contact him to talk this through and get my answers? I am concerned he may have been having sex with men behind my back now, but also don't want to stress him further as he is suffering atm.

Any help would be fantastic.

He is a using addict... is this really something you want to take on in a relationship? You won't be able to fix him or prevent him from using... and he will continue to behave in ever worsening insane ways until he hits a bottom (hopefully before something drastic happens). Add to this that he is either bi-sexual or in-the-closet gay and you add even more uncertainty and instability to the mix.

Should I contact him to talk this through and get my answers? I am concerned he may have been having sex with men behind my back now, but also don't want to stress him further as he is suffering atm.

He broke up with you. Why does it matter if he is having sex with men behind your back when you are broken up? Are you hoping to get back together with him?

I suggest focusing on moving on working on finding the reasons that you are attracted to such men in the first place... this will help you find a relationship with someone that is at a healthier place in their life.

Let's just spell this out really quick and clear. The facts are as follows: Your ex-boyfriend, who broke up with you, is a regular drug user who is currently propositioning married men for sex. That sentence, in and of itself, should be reason to be moving far, far, far away from this man.

Think about it like this. You're single right now. Let's say you and I were pals and I wanted to set you up with a guy friend of mine. I describe him like this: "He's pretty great, smart and good looking. He's also a serious drug user who is an emotional mess and into having sex with men on the down low." Would you ask me to introduce you to him? I highly doubt it.

I know it's hard, as all breakups are. But over is over, and in this case it sounds like this man has done you a great life favor in ending things so you can heal and eventually find someone who is stable, genuinely compatible with you, and not into having sex with men. To walk that path, as maew said, I'd be turning the lens inward and trying to better understand why you found yourself drawn to this guy in the first place. There are important lessons there.

I think you should focus on why you were with an addict for three years. Move on from this creep who is hitting on his best friend-who is married- (yuck) and understand why you were with a man like this. Good Lord. This guy is bottom of the barrel. You should be happy you are away from this piece of garbage. Why do you think that he would be honest with you?

You need to be tested and get some therapy.

This is one reason to ask if it is true, I've no proof he has actually had sex with someone. He's a really good man with some issues he's trying to fix....I can see how from the outside this sounds horrific , but he's very well educated and travelled and has a beautiful heart....yes I know love can be blind, I'm a rational woman and know my own mind, I think I just want closure and answer

s as we were together when this supposedly happened. He has never given me a reason to his sudden decision to end our relationship.

This is one reason to ask if it is true, I've no proof he has actually had sex with someone. He's a really good man with some issues he's trying to fix....I can see how from the outside this sounds horrific , but he's very well educated and travelled and has a beautiful heart....yes I know love can be blind, I'm a rational woman and know my own mind, I think I just want closure and answer

s as we were together when this supposedly happened. He has never given me a reason to his sudden decision to end our relationship.

You think that he would be truthful? If that is the case, i have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Don't be so naive.

He is an addict and propositioning married men. He sounds like a real prize. You need to address your co dependence. He does not love you, or he would not have dumped you.

No one needs to give a reason for ending things, and the truth is that most people can't because they don't really know. Whatever they say, be it clumsy or elegant, is really just a shot in the dark, nothing to latch onto for "closure." Closure comes from within, over time, by accepting that over is over is over.

I wrote in another thread that breakups all boil down to a simple equation: that ex is always greater than the sum of why.

Trying to figure out the "why" is just opening doors into wormholes that never end, because the end has already happened. Opening doors is the opposite of closure.

I get that he's a good guy with a good heart—I believe you. He's also a guy who is into drugs, broke up with you, and is repeatedly propositioning a married man for sex. If that's not a steel door closing, I don't know what is.

I didn't know he was a user straight away. Then it was just every now and then.

I've never used any drugs I only drink, he liked that about me as it helped him use less, I believe his ex girl friends / wife dabbled at the weekends also.

Great to hear about therapy. There's a mine of gold waiting for you that will help you see this differently and sharpen your compass for future relationships.

I mean, him "liking" that you helped him do less drugs? I get how that felt like intimacy—made you feel "good" for "being there" and "helping him" be better—but it's not the sort of bond you want.

Imagine a man saying he liked having sex with you because it "helped him" not have sex with other women all the time. Kind of the same thing, you know?

Are there posts on here about co-dependency?

Possible I'm attracting these types of men, my ex of 18years was a dope user and he turned out to be emotionally abusive. My recent ex was only my second relationship ever.

I want to learn more about myself and find the reasons I'm finding these types of men... I don't want to find a third!

Oh, dear.

You have discovered some pretty concerning information about him. I am sure there is plenty you don't know as well. He managed to hide this from you, so I would bet money that this is not the extent of his indiscretions.

Get yourself tested, OP. I advise anyone who finds out their partner was searching for sex outside the relationship, regardless of whom it was with. You have just learned he's a secret-keeper. Don't take the chance that he was always honest and faithful with you.

Move forwards. This is part of your past now. Let it be part of the past and let it rest. I'm not sure why you feel drawn to these types of men but it's good that you recognize that in yourself now. Maybe look back at your childhood and try and understand why this type of lifestyle feels familiar to you. There is some familiarity there and it's not triggering normal red flags that would usually trigger others. For some reason this type of behaviour in a partner seems normal to you. I'd unpack why that is. Learn from your mistakes in any kind of relationship that is hurtful or negative to you, your well-being.

Move forwards.

The drinking, drugs and breakup would be enough 'closure' for me. I wouldn't even need the friend's accusation to seal that for me, much less a confrontation with the ex. Skip that, invest in your own healing. Over time you'll start to see ex from a new perspective as you reach higher ground. Your therapy can help you to build confidence in your resilience and ability to choose a better partner when you're ready.

Head high.

Archived