Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boyfriend hasn't introduced me to a single friend/family member for eight months

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by randomgi348
    But I know he doesn't want me to be part of his friendship group because I know i'm a bit odd/socially awkward so its difficult. Perhaps I should confront him about it and just talk it out
    I'm sorry, but there is nothing to talk out. You need to find someone who is proud to be with you and share with friends and family. This is going no where. You can't have a relationship inside one's home. I'm sorry, but you sound like a sex buddy.

You deserve much better. Do not allow people to treat you like this!

Platinum Member
    Yea i'm sadly inclined to agree. It won't be easy but I think I need to raise it with him
    You can try, but I don't think he's suddenly going to be more comfortable with introducing you. Be prepared to walk away.

But I know he doesn't want me to be part of his friendship group because I know i'm a bit odd/socially awkward so its difficult. Perhaps I should confront him about it and just talk it out
    If he actually cares for you, he won't care if you are "socially awkward" around his friends. I think the relationship is damaging, because it's causing you to repeatedly shame yourself.

Also, for all you know, he actually has another woman who his friends know as his girlfriend (so when he says he is with his girlfriend on the phone, they assume he is with her). I would get out of this situation and find someone who was proud to date me and show me off to friends and family.

Originally Posted by SGH
    If he actually cares for you, he won't care if you are "socially awkward" around his friends. I think the relationship is damaging, because it's causing you to repeatedly shame yourself.
    This.

You said past boyfriends have shown you off, so you know how that feels, that it's possible. And what the heck is "socially awkward," really, but a lousy way of saying "unique?" Or, even better, "you?"

You should be with someone with whom all that—the thing that is you—feels cherished, not something that only "works" in a bubble. Whatever qualities any girlfriend of mine had—from being quiet and awkward to gregarious and outgoing—they'd be qualities I'd be thrilled to introduce to my friends. Because, you know, I would be super proud and lucky to have her as my girlfriend.

If he's embarrassed and ashamed to be seen with you in front of his family and friends, this is alarming.

I wouldn't want to be with a man who prefers to hide me in his closet.

He only wants to be with you based upon "conditions."

Be with a man who accepts you as you are and doesn't fear introducing you to his family and friends. That's what real, true, sincere love is. Anything else doesn't ring true IMHO.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Platinum Member
    If you expressed that you are anxious in crowds, a caring boyfriend would introduce you one on one to a family member or friend so you don't get so overwhelmed, or choose a setting you are comfortable and at least briefly introduce the friend (ie you are at your favorite restaurant you are comfortable with and they join you for dessert). I agree with the others that you need to speak up about this because i don't think you ever have and if he won't introduce you, dump him. Wouldn't you have been at least been included in a holiday by now?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice