Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peers training me instruct me to do bad things, don't know how to handle it

Originally Posted by Billie28
    If your manager says charge 100% every time then why are YOU making a decision to charge 75%?
    Not one person told you to do that!!!

Someone told you do charge 50%. Perhaps there was a good reason to do so. But there was never a good reason to go 75?

Why are you doing what you want when you want? And then complaining about peers?

If you want to discuss this with management then bring up exact examples including those where you made up your own mind what to do which went against all management and peers! And ask them what you should have done?

Yes it was a bad judgement call, I should not have done it. I didn't know what to do, but in retrospect I wish I had just refused to process the order at all. I have tried to ask two different managers (we have 3 total) what I should do when a peer instructs me to do something that a manager has told me not to do, or vice versa, especially in front of a client. Neither manager would really answer me. I was wanting to know how to handle the situation in general, but the management response is to do just do what they want me to do. Which I understand, but I don't know how to handle it when a peer is telling me to do things differently, especially with a client in front of us and the client agreeing with my peer. It seemed like my only option was just to refuse to process the order then, but I became too nervous to take that stand, which was a mistake. I wish I knew how to handle being very assertive in those cases.

Originally Posted by Tinydance
    Look, honestly from reading everything you've said, I do think you've made the right decision to start looking for another job. This workplace sounds like a complete nightmare! I've had some bad jobs but this is really something else! For one thing, I don't actually think that the way this workplace runs is very productive and it sounds very unprofessional.

Whenever I was new at a job, I either had to attend training session(s) run by managers or qualified trainers. Or I was trained just on my own by a manager or I actually did online training modules that were developed by the company. I've had so many jobs in my life and in none of them (even the bad ones) was it left just to all the other staff to train me. I mean, of course as a new person I would sometimes ask my colleagues questions and they would help, but this is after I'd already done official training provided by management/trainers. Also usually the workplaces I've been at had a culture of asking the managers for help, not your colleagues. You would only ask your colleagues if the manager was busy or wasn't there.

I think that for one thing, it puts too much pressure on your co-workers to have to spend all this time teaching a new person. And they don't get paid anything extra for that, right? It sounds like the manager is completely unapproachable, because not only do they not show you anything, but you tried talking to her about some issues and all she did was get defensive. So that just tells you that if you ever have any other issues, she will not be understanding or helpful.

I personally see nothing positive about this job, only negative. My only advice while you're still there is to do as managers tell you, not other staff. The managers are higher up so that's who you need to listen to. Also can you access company policies or can you request to get copies of company policies? I would say read the official policies and then behave as it says there. They can't tell you off if you're just following what is written in those official documents. But yeah definitely try to get out of that job ASAP.

You bring up a point that I noticed, too. One of my peers was venting to me that they have multiple times been asked to train someone new who was making more money than them. They clearly felt very insulted by it which I think is very understandable. They told me how much they were making, and I told them how much I was making (less than them), which I hoped would reassure them that this was not a situation like the ones they had talked about. They have vented to me several times that they do not get paid to train me, though. I actually really at least one person was officially in charge of training me. It feels like most of my peers are annoyed to do it.

Originally Posted by Billie28
    Iím I guess being devils advocate here only because currently in my workplace we hired someone about 6 months ago to do a pretty menial job.
    Every single time she is corrected about her procedure etc she automatically says x person told her to do it that way. Which we know to be untrue because x person doesnít do it that way themself?
    This is an assistant job , no there is no one else in that role so, no, there isnít someone looking over her shoulder.
    Itís a job that others fulfill as an extra part of work when the job is vacant.

Some jobs are like that. And should not need that much training.

Perhaps OP, itís just not the job for you?

It is always possible. I am not sure how I could know if I am just really bad at this work, so it is always possible that I just don't know, what I don't know, if that makes sense. This work is not difficult honestly, it is just very complicated. Like when I process an order, there are multiple screens to go through with many options, and many drop down options for many things, and so on. So like there will be 5 options for module C, and someone tells me to never process anything using the 5th option. Then someone else is guiding me through an order, and tells me to choose the 5th option. So I explain that I have been told by the other peer to never use the 5th option. Then the current peer gets irritable with me and insists that I just do what they say. So then I feel that I must try to determine which makes more sense, the first peer's instruction or the second peer's instruction. But honestly I am new to the overall industry and don't always know enough to figure out which makes more sense.

Originally Posted by Tinydance
    Well, I guess whether you should receive official training or not also depends on whether you are really familiar with how to do the role or not. I've been working in exactly the same role for six years and have been at a few different jobs, but always doing the same thing. So they don't really train me anymore because I know how to do the work. But still, if I needed a bit of training or I was doing something wrong, then I would be approached by the manager about it. Whether you get much training or not, I still think it's very unprofessional that it's not management, but other equal staff that train new people in this job. They are not a manager so why should they have any authority to tell the new person off, especially as it sounds like many of them are just expressing their own opinions and not following company protocol. Usually when you're new you would also be given a code of conduct and policies and procedures. Or at least you would be told where to access any company documents, e.g. they might be on the company database. If someone was hired for a job, that means management thought they were competent for the role. But if the person has not received any training and has no idea what they're doing then yeah I would say the company is at fault.
    In fairness to my employer, they did give me many hours worth of online training to go through, which I did. The training just doesn't cover how to make many choices. It is the sort of training aimed at being familiar with our inventory, how our software works, work safety guidelines and then advice on sales skills, like how to persuade people to buy things. So for example the online training taught me how to choose the right sizing of certain parts based on what a client describes as their needs, and also how to explain to a client why I have chosen that size. Where I run into trouble is for example when I try to follow the guideline to choose a size, and a peer tells me to go with a different size, and then the next thing I know, I am being scolded by someone else for choosing the wrong size. In that situation if I just explain that the other peer instructed me to the size I processed, the peer scolding me either advises me not to listen to that other peer (but many of them are like this to each other), or they act as though I am making excuses. So it makes it seem like I should really just refuse to listen to anyone who is trying to tell me to process an order differently, because if it is wrong, I will still take the blame for it. But then I also don't know how to diplomatically handle refusing to listen to my peers. It feels like a lose-lose situation.

Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Why are all of these people interfering?

Have you considered looking for a better job. This place sounds really screwed up.
    I honestly don't know. I like to think that most of them must have good intentions. Nobody has really said when I will know that I am done training and officially on my own, so I think it is very possible that some of my peers don't know when to stop training me, since even I don't know when I am considered good to go on my own. I have been here for months now. Recently one of my peers was fired, too, for making too many mistakes, so I also think I am tense about mistakes because of that, too. I just wish at least if I get fired for mistakes, that they would really be my own mistakes. But I am seem to be left in limbo on when I can be assertively responsible for my own orders, like able to say no to peers trying to tell me to do it differently, which would make me feel more comfortable about owning mistakes 100%. What I really hate is when I do what is instructed but am still held responsible if it's considered wrong.

Bronze Member
    Glad you are looking to change jobs. That workplace environment seems very unhealthy!

In the meantime, are you able to get essential matters in writing? Is there an official company handbook that you can turn to? In other words, should you ever be questioned for doing X and not Y, your response: "I've done X because our manager has stated in an email to / the official handbook says to do X." Your peers cannot officially refute how you do things as long as you are following official company / manager's procedures. But you must have these procedures in writing.

Have everything in writing. Just my two cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice