Just want to say thanks

Hi everyone, wanted to say thanks to those who offered their support and encouragement when I was struggling with my uni work. You really motivated me when I was feeling drained and upset.

I just submitted my work, it's far from my best and I will incur a 10% penalty for being 23.75hrs over the submission grace period but I will be very shocked if I don't at least get a pass grade. I pretty much work dawn til dusk daily for the last week, plus an all nighter to pull this project out the bag.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to be more consistent with my studies for my next module I would very much appreciate it xx

Just keep your nose to the grindstone as they say. No pain no gain. Know your hard work will pay off.

I've seen it myself in my son. He was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth yet worked hard throughout college, graduated, attained a plum job and currently enjoying the fruits of his labor. If he can do it, so can you. Keep your eye on the prize. Work hard now and coast later.

Concentrate and stay focused. Competition is fierce. Know your vision and will feel motivated and consistent.

Good job.

Balance... just balance everything - studying, working and personal life. Without an even balance it's easy to burn out and lose motivation. You won't be perfect every single day or reach all your goals every single day/week but just make sure you're balanced for the most part and don't forget to make time for hobbies and play (let your mind relax).

CongrAts, Thornz. The marathon you plunged into may have been your best teacher. You can use the experience to motivate yourself against what you don't want to go through next module.

Consider looking into the coursework to get the books in advance, then see how much of the material you can absorb before the term begins. Email the instructors to see if any will give you some the assignments ahead of time. Then break up the work and create a reward system for completing pieces of it at a time.

Thanks everyone, some good suggestions I will try to implement. I think the core issue is lack of confidence, change in values and feeling the studies take so much more from me than I stand to gain. My motives for completing the degree when I started over 10 years ago no longer exist, I wanted a good job, to get chartered, have my own business, earn loads of money and feel like I had value due to my academic success. I've since learned my value doesn't come from a degree certificate or having lots of money. I have a good job with OK pay in my chosen field and have been considered for promotion already. When I think about how a degree will help me feel secure and more employable if I lose my job (has happened a few times due to my issues) it's countered by the fact that having more time and energy to focus on my current job will increase the likelihood I will keep it and studying detracts from that.

I had a chat with my friend and came to the conclusion that I need to find new motives to complete my degree and stop the internal dialogue about how much I hate it and how hard it is. I very much value personal improvement and my health. Seeing my next module as a catalyst in self improvement, learning how to better manage my time, motivate myself and balance health, work, fun and studies actually got me enthused to study again instead of viewing it as a not very necessary evil. Being able to pull off 2 months work in little over a week gave me such a massive boost that I feel quite invincible right now and as a result the quality of my work in my job and my enthusiasm has improved.

I have applied for special circumstances relating to the multitude of issues I've had during this module including lots of supporting evidence from work, Dr, therapists and garage (car broke down for over a month increasing my commute/reducing my study time by 2.5 hours a day) and have asked for support from uni for my next module. I have also decided to pursue a diagnosis for ADD and ASD if this means I can also get additional support at work or wherever else I need it and will be requesting further CBT as that was very helpful to me in becoming more organised and managing my time better. Until my next module I will be focusing on my health, self care and better habits that will allow me to chase my dreams without fear of failure or getting too sick to continue.

When I look at how far I've come in terms of my ability to balance health, studies, career and social life I am proud for the first time ever. I don't think I've ever really given myself credit for what I've achieved given my background and health.

The last module I studied 2 years ago was 30 credits, I had no employment commitments due to losing my job part way through my studies, I was on medication, I had little social commitments and I still got an extension on many of my assignments and did poorly in my exam.

This module is twice as much work at 60 credits, I am employed full tlme, not medicated so reliant on good self care to stay sane, I have an active social life and only got one extension due to my car breaking down. Imagine what I could achieve with the same level of improvement over the next 2 years?

Archived