Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moving out vs. parents

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by shortsunflwr
    Yes I do have a plan. I suppose it all comes down to the risk of being cut off and losing my siblings, mother, and cats and not being able to see them again because of one person... it's a hard decision and terrifying.
    Well are they actually your cats or are they the family cats that belong to the whole family. If they are your cats that you adopted solo this year, they are your cats and you should take them. If they were cats the family adopted when you were 10 years old, they are not your cats. This isn't about being "because of one person" - this is for your mental health. And its quite possible after you leave that your siblings wlll reconnect with you later. How old are they now? And girls or boys? you may not lose them forever like you think.

Also, you may want to gather up your social security card, birth certificate, etc - bank info and keep it with you at all times until you walk out the door.

I am planning to take the cat considered my cat with me. I have two sisters, 15 and 17, and a brother who is 11. I probably will have little to no contact with either of them and at least moderate contact with the 17 yo since we can text and maybe meet up.

Thanks for the advice.

Platinum Member
    I am planning to take the cat considered my cat with me. I have two sisters, 15 and 17, and a brother who is 11. I probably will have little to no contact with either of them and at least moderate contact with the 17 yo since we can text and maybe meet up.

Thanks for the advice.
    Unless you know where the 17 year old stands, I would be careful not to tell her where you are specifically lest she side with dad and report back. And if she doesn't know, he can't beat it out of her, either

Do you pay the vet bills for the cat? Is your name anywhere on things for the cat so legally its yours? Not just the cat that "seems to like you best?"
    Hopefully, you have money to move somewhere you can keep the cat.

My mom's name is the one registered on his microchip, but it is generally understood that he is my cat and my dad is only letting us keep him so long as I take full responsibility for him. So I could take him.

I have been trying to get in contact with any homeless shelters in my area that would let me stay there and bring my cat, since most don't allow pets. I talked to my friend and she can't let me stay with her so I have to probably stay at some shelter or something. I have no idea what to do.

Homeless shelters have requirements. It's not a free pet-friendly spa/bnb for people who don't get along with strict parents. You need to get financially independent. Get a full time job plus a part-time and rent a room in a house share or roommate situation. Get a flip phone, start taking the bus/public transportation, etc.
    I have been trying to get in contact with any homeless shelters in my area that would let me stay there and bring my cat, since most don't allow pets.

Platinum Member
    My mom's name is the one registered on his microchip, but it is generally understood that he is my cat and my dad is only letting us keep him so long as I take full responsibility for him. So I could take him.

I have been trying to get in contact with any homeless shelters in my area that would let me stay there and bring my cat, since most don't allow pets. I talked to my friend and she can't let me stay with her so I have to probably stay at some shelter or something. I have no idea what to do.
    Can you afford a studio apartment? Do you have any income?

Platinum Member
    Would your boyfriend keep your cat for a few weeks while you found a living situation? What about researching foster based rescues and ask if there is one that is willing to foster a cat for a few weeks as you will be in a homeless shelter for a month or two while you secure housing, and that you are leaving an abusive situation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice