LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Dog Situation

Originally Posted by batso1340
    saying that it was MY fault that she didn't get a poodle like she wanted.
    And I'm guessing a little toy poodle at that? She sounds the type.

But you both sound pretty insufferable. Only character in this story I feel bad for is the dog. Deserves a household where one owner doesn't want it and the other isn't willing to train it (or it would seem let it out much).

Do you have kids? It may sound silly or unfeasible 15 years into a marriage, but conditions like this really are meant to be deal breakers. Time served unfortunately doesn't change that. For someone who doesn't like them, a dog is going to be an incredibly intrusive household presence for the next decade and a half. You found a woman, not a unicorn. It's up to you whether it's worth it to suffer for the sake of her company or not. None of us can make that qualitative assessment for you.

As someone raised around dogs, who loves 'em (enjoy cats as well), and will be getting a couple to guard the goats here very soon, I wouldn't date, much less marry someone who wasn't willing to take care of and properly train a dog. Don't care if it's a puppy, and I don't care the breed. Its behavior is owner-enabled maladaptive behavior. Insofar as your wife is letting it go hog wild during this formative period, it's most likely only going to get worse. As crappy as I think it is you didn't put your foot down completely rather than let an innocent dog get dragged into this mess, I much more greatly disdain people who don't take responsibility for animals as a living creature first, and cute little ball-of-fluff second.

Platinum Member
    Send the dog for training and give it regular baths- it does not wash itself. It seems like a simple solution.

How much exercise is the animal getting?

If you and your wife cannot adjust your crappy attitudes, then find the poor pooch a proper home- not the pound. I feel so sorry for that sweet puppy!

What is wrong with you people! This thread really makes me angry!
    Last edited by Hollyj; 05-27-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Yep, it's that simple. However you want to position yourself as a victim and long suffering husband. And she wants to act like a child who just wants animals but won't be responsible.

It's not about the dogs. Unfortunately they are collateral damage in your and your wife's dysfunction and lack of communication or cooperation.
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Send the dog for training and give be it regular baths. It seems like a simple solution.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Yep, it's that simple. However you want to position yourself as a victim and long suffering husband. And she wants to act like a child who just wants animals but won't be responsible.

It's not about the dogs. Unfortunately they are collateral damage in your and your wife's dysfunction and lack of communication or cooperation.

Totally agree!

Platinum Member
    I wasn’t analogizing in that way at all - just to be very very clear. As an aside my son considered the tadpoles to be his pets. So did I when I had a frog at his age and later hamster and cat as well. I completely understand that dogs require a whole other level of work than caged pets. I never want to be a dog owner because I care very much about pets and know we’re not ready to put in that kind of work and commitment. We may in the future consider a cat as we both grew up with cats and love cats. And also want to be responsible cat owners which we cannot be right now with our schedules and work situations. That is my point. I agree with all the others about what it means to be a responsible pet owner. Neither of them seem to have done what it takes to be sufficiently responsible.

Platinum Member
    You don't just go to puppy training - you find a place that is not just the pet store that has all sorts of dog classes. you practice what you have learned at puppy class at home -- several times a day! Then you take the next class. Maybe puppy kingergarten was the first class, then take the next class after that -- a lifeskills or basic obedience. you should go together with your wife so you both learn - its more about teaching the people how to communicate with the dog.

OP, I totally get your pain. Like you, I always had an outside dog growing up. I reluctantly agreed to a dog that my husband and daughter wanted, under the circumstances that it would be mostly an outside dog. We’ve had her (a Rottweiler) for about a year and a half now, and she’s spent the whole time living in the house. There’s nowhere that’s off limits to her. There’s hair everywhere, the floors are always dirty from paw prints, she bats her bones around it’s ruined all of my woodwork, she drools constantly, and we can’t have people over because she gets so anxious and overwhelmed. I love her but I definitely resent her as well. I was not meant to co-habitate with a dog and would NEVER have agreed to this if I’d known she’d still be in my house 24/7.

So we are building a privacy fence this summer and will be transitioning her to the back yard. She gets to burn more energy, chase rabbits, and sniff stuff, and I get my house back. Is this, or a version of this, an option for you?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by indea08
    OP, I totally get your pain. Like you, I always had an outside dog growing up. I reluctantly agreed to a dog that my husband and daughter wanted, under the circumstances that it would be mostly an outside dog. We’ve had her (a Rottweiler) for about a year and a half now, and she’s spent the whole time living in the house. There’s nowhere that’s off limits to her. There’s hair everywhere, the floors are always dirty from paw prints, she bats her bones around it’s ruined all of my woodwork, she drools constantly, and we can’t have people over because she gets so anxious and overwhelmed. I love her but I definitely resent her as well. I was not meant to co-habitate with a dog and would NEVER have agreed to this if I’d known she’d still be in my house 24/7.

So we are building a privacy fence this summer and will be transitioning her to the back yard. She gets to burn more energy, chase rabbits, and sniff stuff, and I get my house back. Is this, or a version of this, an option for you?
    You need to socialize her and she won't be so nervous. Introduce her to a new person every week. Make sure you make her sit and give her tons of treats. Crate her or gate her in another room when people are over. She has no limits -- but that's the fault of the humans. A dog should know "leave it" "wait", etc. This is a workable situation if you put some time into her. She should not be an "outside only" dog just because people have not shown her the way. One of my dogs, i went to three different training classes in a row (the next level up each) and worked with her daily to reinfoce everything. It paid off in spades. She was able to go for walks and pass people with no major reactions, etc, be okay with company, etc. It resulted in a dog with great manners who was a delight to live with. It won't help with the drool, obviously. Especially a Rottie who some people automatically are afraid of because they are big and how they have been portrayed - we have a duty to make sure they are well socialized.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I don’t understand why someone would get a dog to stuff them in the backyard. 😓

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    I don’t understand why someone would get a dog to stuff them in the backyard. 😓
    Agreed!!!!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice