Why are so many men on the date sites foreign nationals?

CarolDay

I have experienced over 40 men on the date sites all having foreign accents from other countries. I have not run into one American accent speaking person on the large date site I use. I have talked to them via text message. phone calls, but have not done video chat yet. They all have US carrier cell phone numbers. Oh...They are all “serious” until we make a date to meet up. OK, I get that I am a woman who is more mature than 50, looking for a decent man on the website to be a good candidate to check out. It’s more like let’s see how quickly the foreign accents can try to scam me. These guys are thinking I have money. Lol! This is not the case but it is ridiculous that they’re all foreigners. The usual scenario after a month of talking/texting is they all of the sudden have to travel overseas for work, family matters, etc. That’s usually when they come up with the most crazy story that they need some type of monetary amount to cover something. I always say “no”, for obvious reasons. They then disappear, drop off the social communication. This is sad but in my experience, 98 percent of them are the scammers, but 2% are not. I know there’s more American men out there that are worthwhile. I am perplexed what’s up with this foreigner men gig on the date sites. Just sayin’! 🧐🤨😏. It is kind of entertaining in a weird way...lol!

Minimize your settings. There are often a lot of telltale signs on a profile as well. You should also be able to pick up right away whether someone's more or less compatible over the phone. You can hear pauses, accents and a lot over the phone when there's no google translate or grammar check. You might also want to put more effort into your own profile and list what you're not interested in either and check your photographs - you may be drawing in riff raff with poor representations of your real self. Good luck.

I live in another country and used dating sites there. I speak the language, work here and I'm totally independent/not looking for money from men (I do believe some of them might think that because I come from a country that is poorer than this one I live). But even so I usually avoid men who seem to be living here only temporary or other foreigners (like me) that seem not to be very stablished here because I'm also looking for a serious relationship. I'd avoid these situations simply by deleting as soon as you see red flags.

Why are you talking to people for a month ??

If a date can’t be set up within a week of text and one phone call then block!

Or have fun with scammer , waste his time lol

You need to look at your profile and change it because there is something on it that screams “lonely”

And that’s the thing that scammers look for and genuine people avoid.

Put more effort into your real social life and less time on the dating app.

Dating apps should simply be a secondary attempt to meet someone , while also looking at real life opportunities.

The best thing to do is get a very well written (and not desperate sounding) profile and good recent photos up on some higher quality sites preferably where a credit card payment is required for joining/communicating and start there.

Also make sure your settings with regard to location, age, etc are appropriate. You can't stop all scammers and catfish, that happens all over. However you can reduce the risk of that and of course screen better, identify, delete and block asap, etc. Forget videochats. Prospects should be local enough to meet in person asap after a few messages and perhaps a phone call. Rule out anyone who delays meeting.

Being jaded and cynical won't help you find anyone, by the way. Smarter browsing, communicating and meeting is a step in the right direction.

I would make sure you’re searching locally and only exchange one or two messages before a phone call. Call the person from a blocked number and make sure what they are saying is consistent with the profile. If they’re not available to meet ASAP and it’s not for a typical reason like vacation or a business trip or it sounds odd then move on to the next.

Just to let know you this site has members from all over the world and racism isn’t tolerated here.

This isn’t racism. Race was not mentioned in her post at all. This is about potential scammers possibly using American women for citizenship. And I can personally contest to this as someone who has married a non-US Native.

OP I would be careful. Look for another dating website.

There are tons of Nigerian scammers on dating sites. The first thing you have to ask is, "Where are you from? If they say it's on the profile, meaning they think where they live is where they are from, it means they don't speak-a-da English and are a scammer. You block them and talk to the next guy.

Talk for a few days then get a phone number, make a call, and set up a time to meet if they have a North American accent. If you can't meet up within a couple weeks, drop them and talk to another man.

You have to weed out the scammers quickly. Part of smart dating is efficiency.

Dating site scamming is rampant for one reason: Because it works.

People lose their life savings to these scammers. If people would stop sending money, the scamming would stop.

And yes, they particularly go after women over 50 (I’m one), because they assume that they are lonely, but likely got money from their divorce, or via their job. And guess what....these are the women who end up sending the most money, so they have an unending supply of profiles.

There is nothing you should do in your profile, unless you want to lie and say you’re 25. They simply put in >50 + female, and voila....thousands of profiles from which to choose.

Recognize these scammer profiles sooner. Since they largely come from Nigeria (it’s a fact, not a criticism of that country), you can spot the spelling and grammatical errors, as well as style errors, immediately.

They always talk about how they want to find their true soulmate, their one true love, and often, they appear as “widowed”, because they think it makes them appear vulnerable to their target.

As others have said, if someone doesn’t want to meet you after 2-3 times of texting or calling, block and move on.

A scammer/catfish can be in your own country and speak your language quite fluently. Not related to culture at all. Also a person who's foreign or has an accent may be a sincere online dater. It's too simplistic to claim that culture plays any role whatsoever. It's a blind spot to think nationality, culture and language make any difference.

A scammer/catfish can be in your own country and speak your language quite fluently. Not related to culture at all. Also a person who's foreign or has an accent may be a sincere online dater. It's too simplistic to claim that culture plays any role whatsoever. It's a blind spot to think nationality, culture and language make any difference.

Not what I am talking about.

Archived