Recognized Flirting Too Late

Chelsea54

I could kick myself. It was one of those happenstance meetings with a man who from the cover, looked like a novel I’d like to dive right into. One of the busiest cities in the world. Parked my car. Got out to pay the meter. Guy standing near meter, for no obvious reason remains near the meter and starts talking to me. Making an assumption that the BMW is mine & telling me what a fantastic model it is. I let him know it’s not mine. But he goes on to enthusiastically tell me about in detail about its handling and how it accelerates and was using hand gestures, expression, just lovely. So, I asked him if he drives a BMW. And he then reverts to saying any car could be driven well, but so many people just don’t know how to drive. And, because I am in fact, a pretty great driver in most any capacity, I brilliantly say—oh I think I’ve got that covered. Which I guess was a conversation killer? It seemed that he took that as—hey, I don’t really want to talk to you. Darn!

I should’ve invited him to the open social event I was on my way to. But with my comment, he pretty much turned and left. I could tell he was awkward, like he was trying to make an effort to socialize...and I know exactly how that feels. Honestly, my guard was a bit up because I was by myself, so I’ll cut myself some slack, but I wish I knew how to not kill a conversation.

I don't see anything here that screams conversation killer.

Honestly? If that was all it took to get the guy to wilt I'd say it's just a sign that dude couldn't keep up with you around the turns. Another guy—just as lovely, but with a little more mojo—would have seen "I've got that covered" as a signal to turn in, not away.

And that, in the end, is the dude you're looking for. This guy looked good, I know, but don't let it get to you. You're just a better driver than him.

The reason he lingered at the parking metre was because he was admiring the BMW.

And the only reason he spoke to you was because he wrongly assumed it was yours.

But he loves cars that much, re rambled on a bit before leaving.

He didn’t flirt with you.

If he was interested in flirting with you , your response was the perfect one to allow that.

He declined and left. That’s all.

Apparently not, because it didn’t enter my mind until later, as an afterthought and I’m not sure how other people IRL get to be friends, when they’ve met someone by chance. In general, I’m frustrated with my discomfort in meeting people. In this scenario I was wondering what I said wrong, even though I am not looking for a new man. To be honest, if he didn’t leave like he did, I wouldn’t know what to do about it and I would’ve walked away too.

I guess I was flattered that I thought he was flirting with me, but ENA has shown me I was wrong! LOL and I was frustrated with myself.

Archived