Can’t believe this “relationship” is still going on...

Gb83

Met a guy 6 months ago when we were both having problems in our marriages. My husband & I are now actively going through divorce, & I had a baby in the meantime. His situation is that his relationship w/his wife is like nonexistent (sleeping in different rooms, live on opposite coasts, etc) but they've stayed together for their sons, who are at an age to understand, but he says ultimately he knows the marriage is going to end. The guy and I agreed no sleeping together until both of us are at least separated. Right now, on that point, he tells me to be "patient."

​What our "relationship" is like: we see each other almost every single day when he's not in California (where his wife & sons live). He didn't back away when I got super pregnant or after I delivered. He always encourages me to bring my daughter when we hang out. He will call me immediately if I sound like I have a problem when texting (work, baby-related, etc) and spend tons of time talking it out w/me. We do hook up but no sleeping together as already said. He kisses me hello & goodbye & says "see you tomorrow" like it's a relationship. We make plans for things we'll do this summer. If I am spending time with a guy friend, he wants to know more because he'd be jealous if he thought I were interested.

I don't want to be the girl giving an ultimatum, but I feel at some point this has to be defined. Frankly I thought this kind of stuff was a quick fling; I didn't think we'd still be in each other's lives every day, half a year later, without even having sex. What do I do?

I don't think what you have "going on" is enough to be defined as anything. It seems like an emotional affair where both of you are there for each other when you need to talk, vent or a friend or shoulder to cry on. It doesn't sound like this would be anything unless either of you uproot your lives and one moves to be with the other. That is a great risk and I'm not sure how feasible that is considering you have co-parenting to contend with and impending custody rights.

You mentioned you're actively getting divorced but yet you haven't separated with your husband. He hasn't separated from his wife. This is a long way off from anything realistic. I think you've lived in limbo for so long you've forgotten what real happiness with one person in one place feels like. This man isn't a viable option. I'd either slow things down to a halt (break up/stop communicating or seeing each other) until you're both ready in a few months or a year or break it off completely. It sounds like a train wreck and both of you are using each other in an unhealthy way (emotional crutches).

There really is nothing you can do, but: A) Walk away from him for good, or B) Accept that you are just his affair partner and likely won't ever really become more than that.

This isn't sustainable in the long-run. It is based on a fantasy, which is why many affair just don't last. The reality of the situation is far more difficult to navigate, as you're now seeing. I get that you two enjoy dreaming of a future together, but that's all it is: a dream. Unless and until you are both divorced, this isn't going anywhere.

Whatever you do, I would absolutely not continue to bring your baby around this man. Keep your child out of this. If that means you have to spend less time with him, so be it. That's one boundary you really should not have crossed.

I mean it was compelling enough for ME to go through w the divorce already... mine was a shorter marriage and my child not at an age to understand, so why wouldn’t he need more time...

I guess I’m wondering if now is as good a time as any for ultimatum/ending things and what to say if I do

I mean it was compelling enough for ME to go through w the divorce already... mine was a shorter marriage and my child not at an age to understand, so why wouldn’t he need more time...

I guess I’m wondering if now is as good a time as any for ultimatum/ending things and what to say if I do

Just to clarify, does this mean you have officially filed for divorce and you and your husband are no longer living together?

Do you still live with your spouses? What is your leverage in an ultimatum?

No, he lives across country from his. I live separately from mine & we’ve officially filed for divorce

Leverage... well no more hooking up/ “favors” or spending every night together and talking during day day and being each other's Sounding board

“ I don’t want to be the girl giving ultimatums “

This statement made me snort laugh...

I realize because you are so entwined in this situation you don’t see the irony that you’ve already sold your soul and lowered yourself to side chick status but you don’t want to be ‘that girl’ is well... laughable, but it is.

She has the ring. You can cuddle till you bleed, an affair is an affair is an affair and the sad reality is neither one of you have a solid foundation since you latched onto each other while still married.

You’re playing yourself...

ETA - I knew this story sounded familiar, does he still have pics of his ‘estranged’ wife on his social media?

But he was my “side” initially too. I knew my marriage also had problems and just now have we filed for divorce. I just don’t know how long to realistically wait for him to do the same before feeling his time is up. He does seem quite attached given the amount of time we spend together and how long it’s been.

Maybe in the meantime it is healthier to practice some self-care and take care of yourself. I feel like you're too deep into thinking what he's thinking or whether this is good for you. Ease up a little on that and redirect your energies towards taking care of yourself, feeling good about yourself, gathering your resources for your new life ahead of you. The focus right now is too much on one area. Multi-task and try to prepare for your new life, think about your kids and even looking into viable support networks - perhaps other single mums groups and meets where you can start to feel more like yourself again.

But he was my “side” initially too. I knew my marriage also had problems and just now have we filed for divorce. I just don’t know how long to realistically wait for him to do the same before feeling his time is up. He does seem quite attached given the amount of time we spend together and how long it’s been.

Your absolutely right G, he was a crutch for you too.

The problem is...you left your husband and now you expect the crutch to now be the partner.

His words say hes onboard, unfortunately he actions... dont...

You are contradicting yourself all over the place. He is with you....except when he is with his wife in California....

I mean come on. Yes, your personal situation may be different in that you are in the process of an actual divorce. However, this man is married, is not divorcing his wife, is feeding you a bunch of bs lines typical of cheaters, like straight out of cheater handbook 101. Time to face reality, OP, in that you are the other woman, an affair partner. This isn't going to help you, your self respect, and might even cause serious harm in your divorce proceedings. Cut him off. Complete your divorce, get on your own two feet, be single for awhile and actually get to the point where you are happy and comfortable living on your own. Then you can try and date again, but for the love of.....make sure the man is truly single.

Fair. I guess my optimism comes from the fact that I was also married when I met him- not all that happy, but would’ve persisted for significantly longer had this guy not come about. And ultimately (6 months later) I did file for divorce. So I figured the same could go for him if we have remained so close for this long.

By not sleeping together I just mean other forms of sex but not intercohrse

Fair. I guess my optimism comes from the fact that I was also married when I met him- not all that happy, but would’ve persisted for significantly longer had this guy not come about. And ultimately (6 months later) I did file for divorce. So I figured the same could go for him if we have remained so close for this long.

By not sleeping together I just mean other forms of sex but not intercohrse

Which is something people who enter affairs often think, some are right even, but when it doesnt happen, you kinda just gotta take the loss ya know? Its a gamble affairs are always high risk, low reward gambles.

You chose to give up on your marriage on a gamble, right or wrong, that was the bet you chose to make.

As of right now his gamble is to keep his wife in California, and keep you as a cuddle buddy and support system. It seems hes holding steady with the cards in his hand, not making anymore bets or taking any more risks than he already has because hes happy with the cards hes got, meanwhile, you lost everything.

Which is something people who enter affairs often think, some are right even, but when it doesnt happen, you kinda just gotta take the loss ya know? Its a gamble affairs are always high risk, low reward gambles.

You chose to give up on your marriage on a gamble, right or wrong, that was the bet you chose to make.

As of right now his gamble is to keep his wife in California, and keep you as a cuddle buddy and support system. It seems hes holding steady with the cards in his hand, not making anymore bets or taking any more risks than he already has because hes happy with the cards hes got, meanwhile, you lost everything.

True, but he can’t keep the cards in his hand if I refuse to keep playing along.... hence my thoughts about ending it vs ultimatum and appropriate timing of that.

I don't want to be the girl giving an ultimatum, but I feel at some point this has to be defined. Frankly I thought this kind of stuff was a quick fling; I didn't think we'd still be in each other's lives every day, half a year later, without even having sex. What do I do?

You're the mistress. The minute he is free of his wife, he's going to embrace his single life and drop you like a hot potato. I'm amazed at how many times this story repeats itself. Man complains about marriage, has affair, breaks up with wife, then is gone.

But I could be wrong. I've just seen in most of these situations, that's how it plays out.

Met a guy 6 months ago when we were both having problems in our marriages. My husband & I are now actively going through divorce, & I had a baby in the meantime.

I'm trying to understand this: You had enough problems in your marriage to head to the divorce court, but you get yourself pregnant in the midst of all the problems AND you then start having an affair with another married guy?? How old is your baby now? How do you even find the time to have an affair when you have an infant to take care of? Serious question.

What do you do? You end the affair for good and start focusing on your child.

Archived