Do I smell? I'm confused...

So I'm honestly not sure where I should even start. My boss at work is a notorious bully. He picks on people, he demeans them in front of others, and most people at work feel this way. Hes done things and said things to people that should have gotten him fired hes been so bad. A few months ago he told me he was going to write me up for something I'm not even sure I did. He never did. I found out later that he told someone else he didnt have enough proof it was me. But didnt apologize to me or tell me he wasnt going to write me up. My coworker has been convinced hes been out to get me. He kinda is for everyone from what I've seen but my coworker thinks he may be trying to get me to quit. The reason being that he might get in trouble for firing me without any cause. Well today he called me up to the office to tell me he has had complaints from others that I smell. This is something I've never ever heard from anyone before and I am almost 30. I asked him how many people and he said 2 people. I asked him what kind of smell so I can figure out how to fix it. And he said "maybe it's a musty, or stale smell? Or maybe it's a mildew smell?" He went on to talk about hygiene (I do all the normal stuff, shower deodorant, brush teeth. Laundry etc) then he asked if I was depressed....I spoke to 2 coworkers of mine that I trust to be blunt with me about it. The first one was just as surprised as me and said that she has never smelled anything bad from me. The other said that even on days that I look like I'm feeling poorly I've never had a bad smell but that she has heard one person out of the 30 we work with has complained about me smelling before. So I guess what I'm asking with the information that I have, what are your thoughts? I dont know how to feel. I was embarrassed at first but I'm angry that the one person didnt talk to me directly.. if there's two people does that mean I really smell?

I seriously doubt you smell, unless maybe you’re a smoker or something. Grab a bottle of Axe or body spray from Walmart if you’re that worried about it.

Why on Earth would you continue working for a boss who you not only don’t trust, but is also out to get you and is downright demeaning?? Life is too short.

Thanks. I've been wondering that too. I'm starting a nursing program in about 8 months and didnt want to go through the trouble of finding a new job for only 8 months, but I really feel like leaving now. I like my coworkers and job itself is ok but I just keep worrying about the next time I get called to his office.

Sounds like a toxic workplace to an extreme. Start documenting everything that's being done and said to you. If you quit because of a hostile work environment, which is exactly what's happening here, then you'll still be able to claim unemployment and your boss will get in trouble for it. Keep in mind that those alleged couple of people could be helping the boss do his dirty deeds in hopes of personal advancement....or simply avoiding his abuse.

Is there any authority above him or is this just a small company and you have nobody to turn to?

Regardless, probably a good idea to dust off your resume and start looking for another job. Best you do it while you are still employed.

Thank you. He does have a boss above him but I dont know how much he cares. I feel like he must know and not care with how many people have talked about or quit because of our immediate boss. We have even had outside complaints from other companies about him that I think he was able to sweep under the rug. (I'm not sure how but I feel he has more complaints than should be required to be fired). Yeah I think I'm going to start looking. Thank you.

What country are you from? Here in Canada we have a government agency called Labour Relations. This agency protect workers, and takes care of workers complaints..they will even go to court for you. Do you not have something like that where you are?

Generally, diet does play a strong role in body odour but the comment was related to a musty or mildew type of smell and not a specific uneaten food odour such as fish so the above question may be mistaken for being left field or inappropriate. If you really want to investigate this it may be due to sweat and the breathability of your clothing, Tammalla.

If you're wearing long sleeves and most of your clothing is synthetic such as polyester (not natural fibers) you may want to look at more natural fibers for clothing like cotton, linen or silk. I didn't care for years and now most of my wardrobe is natural fibers only, even my pants, and I won't substitute it for anything less in the summers. Linen or nothing.

I understand your first instincts are to retaliate and become very upset. I would be too but I'm noticing that a lot of the negativity and the whisperings in your ear tend to be coming from one specific coworker in particular.

You don't seem to have such a negative relationship with anyone else in your workplace aside from the one or two who seem to have the nose of an expecting mother. I'd take the comment from your boss with a pinch of salt and keep away from negative characters with nothing good to say. Thank your boss for the feedback and stay focused on your work. Don't become preoccupied with this. Finish the rest of your eight months, leave for your program and come out as the one laughing.

It sounds toxic but since you are leaving, simply avoid, ignore and dissociate as much as possible. About any health concerns, see a physician if you are concerned about odor. A good checkup never hurts.

he called me up to the office to tell me he has had complaints from others that I smell. I asked him what kind of smell so I can figure out how to fix it. And he said "maybe it's a musty, or stale smell?
Thanks. I've been wondering that too. I'm starting a nursing program in about 8 months and didnt want to go through the trouble of finding a new job for only 8 months, but I really feel like leaving now. I like my coworkers and job itself is ok but I just keep worrying about the next time I get called to his office.

I don't think he can fire you for smelling bad. Well, I guess technically he could, but it would be a monumentally stupid move on his part if he did.

He probably doesn't want to fire you at all. That would put him on the hook for paying unemployment. I think, as your coworker does, that what he is trying to do is get you to quit. It's more difficult to collect unemployment if you quit.

It's up to you whether you stay there or not. If it was me, I'd probably tough it out until school started. It's only 8 months.

But document everything in case it happens again. Set your phone to record any time he comes around, etc. That way, if you are forced out, you have a leg to stand on when it comes to collecting unemployment.

Not left field. I ask because they may mistake a personal smell for an office or cubicle smell when fish is microwaved.

Oh, I see. I can see that. If there's one thing I've learned everyone's nose is different so it could very well be relative what anyone is smelling at any one time. I agree with everyone else also that any bullying in the workplace is not appropriate.

At my place of work there has been a couple occasions where HR had to speak to someone about their body odor. One was even over someone who wore very strong perfume that offended people.

I agree your work environment sounds pretty toxic. In the meantime as a close friend for some feedback about your hygiene. Sometimes we aren't able to be objective about ourselves. At least you can rule this out.

Oh, I see. I can see that. If there's one thing I've learned everyone's nose is different so it could very well be relative what anyone is smelling at any one time. I agree with everyone else also that any bullying in the workplace is not appropriate.

And to clarify, I’m not saying that their approach is ok, but I have had to talk to younger employees especially interns about how it’s like an “office sin” to microwave fish.

There are mean ways to handle that and ok ways, and this may be a mean way.

Archived