Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I smell? I'm confused...

It sounds toxic but since you are leaving, simply avoid, ignore and dissociate as much as possible. About any health concerns, see a physician if you are concerned about odor. A good checkup never hurts.
    Originally Posted by Tammalla
    he called me up to the office to tell me he has had complaints from others that I smell. I asked him what kind of smell so I can figure out how to fix it. And he said "maybe it's a musty, or stale smell?

Originally Posted by Tammalla
    Thanks. I've been wondering that too. I'm starting a nursing program in about 8 months and didnt want to go through the trouble of finding a new job for only 8 months, but I really feel like leaving now. I like my coworkers and job itself is ok but I just keep worrying about the next time I get called to his office.
    I don't think he can fire you for smelling bad. Well, I guess technically he could, but it would be a monumentally stupid move on his part if he did.

He probably doesn't want to fire you at all. That would put him on the hook for paying unemployment. I think, as your coworker does, that what he is trying to do is get you to quit. It's more difficult to collect unemployment if you quit.

It's up to you whether you stay there or not. If it was me, I'd probably tough it out until school started. It's only 8 months.

But document everything in case it happens again. Set your phone to record any time he comes around, etc. That way, if you are forced out, you have a leg to stand on when it comes to collecting unemployment.

Not left field. I ask because they may mistake a personal smell for an office or cubicle smell when fish is microwaved.

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    Not left field. I ask because they may mistake a personal smell for an office or cubicle smell when fish is microwaved.
    Oh, I see. I can see that. If there's one thing I've learned everyone's nose is different so it could very well be relative what anyone is smelling at any one time. I agree with everyone else also that any bullying in the workplace is not appropriate.

At my place of work there has been a couple occasions where HR had to speak to someone about their body odor. One was even over someone who wore very strong perfume that offended people.

I agree your work environment sounds pretty toxic. In the meantime as a close friend for some feedback about your hygiene. Sometimes we aren't able to be objective about ourselves. At least you can rule this out.
    Last edited by reinventmyself; 05-23-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    Oh, I see. I can see that. If there's one thing I've learned everyone's nose is different so it could very well be relative what anyone is smelling at any one time. I agree with everyone else also that any bullying in the workplace is not appropriate.
    And to clarify, I’m not saying that their approach is ok, but I have had to talk to younger employees especially interns about how it’s like an “office sin” to microwave fish.

There are mean ways to handle that and ok ways, and this may be a mean way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice