Should I break up with him?

michaela514

Hi there I’m facing a big decision right now and it is whether I should break up with my partner or not. We live together, and at the start he seemed perfect and gentle and he used to do cute things for me but not so much anymore. Now he’s controlling with what I wear from makeup to clothes and discouraged me to go on a diet or to go to gym still because of his jealousy, I’m sure of it, and he does little things that’s annoy me such as playing very very rough when playfighting and doing things purposely to annoy me, like petty things. Or when I seem to be in a very down mood because of him and I’m like super upset he decides that the best thing to do is to leave home no matter the time, and each time I stopped him by forcing him to stay and telling him he doesn’t really love me if he will leave me at my worst and he won’t sit down instead to talk it out like adults. Still after that, he doesn’t really know how to talk things out. He can sometimes be disrespectful to me, making references to me cheating and bringing people over, or doing things when I’m in education hours. We even have a GPS on each other for Gods sake! + If I am not at college I am at home or doing grocery shopping out. He has no reason not to trust me in that way, I’ve never done even the littlest thing that was unfaithful to him. He also has very poor financial management and my parents have helped him numerous times with money but I feel like he’s taking advantage sometimes. Plus, we have different interests and I hate the career he’s pursuing because it is dangerous and he will be away from home most of the times for late hours. But he won’t give it up for anybody, even though at the start he said he would for me that has changed now, even though I would of never asked him to give up his dreams, I’m just saying at the start he was willing to for me. And I feel like that’s a sign feelings have changed or it was just a phase for him. I’ve spoken to my mother about this situation but I really need another point of view. It is hard for me to just break up with him because of these negative as I’ve gotten so used to being around him and having him next to me as a daily routine. I do love him, but I just don’t know what’s going on through his head when he does all those things? Please help

Can your mother let you move back home? How long have you been dating? Living together? He's controlling and you realize it. Stop micromanaging his career. That's not your call. Simply observe if all the incompatibilities and living with someone who exhibits red flags for an abuser and already controls you like a prisoner is worth "used to being around him and having him next to me as a daily routine". He is not going to get better. You can not change or fix him. You can talk to your parents about the control and move back home.

I’ve spoken to my mother about this situation but I really need another point of view. It is hard for me to just break up with him

“Or when I seem to be in a very down mood because of him and I’m like super upset he decides that the best thing to do is to leave home no matter the time, and each time I stopped him by forcing him to stay and telling him he doesn’t really love me if he will leave me at my worst ”

Sorry but to me it sounds like you are the controlling one. And that you are gaslighting him?

“ I hate the career he’s pursuing because it is dangerous and he will be away from home most of the times for late hours. ”

I think you just hate the late hours and not the danger?

Really? How dangerous is it??!

Perhaps he is a bit controlling wrt clothes you wear or make up. ?

How have you responded to that?

Is it any worse than trying to stop someone pursue the career they want?

Maybe you just aren’t compatible!

Jealousy for no reason, accusing a partner of cheating when there clearly has been no crime, and telling another adult how they can dress should all be dealbreakers. Lay on top of that a person who is financially unstable. Four dealbreakers does not make for a prize lifetime partner.

It doesn't matter how lovely a partner was in the past. The past is gone. His real self has emerged now that the honeymoon period is over. Your brain and heart have to match to choose or remain with a partner. Your brain is telling you how miserable you are and you need to exit. When you get away from this mayhem, you will shake your head and wonder why you waited so long. Take care.

Andrina said it very well. This guy is a controlling jerk. Nobody should be telling you what to wear, and what is with the GPS on each other? You as an adult can go anywhere you want to go, it's not his business to restrict where you go, with who, and what you do. So many red flags and dealbreakers.

Wake up. This guy is not a good partner and you need to get away from him NOW. Move back with your parents if you have to, but please put an end to this awful situation.

Putting a GPS on each other is ridiculous. Please recognize this is totally inappropriate and not the way to treat each other in a relationship. Most of us have cellphones and other devices that track our whereabouts easily in an emergency but an installed GPS for the explicit reason for tracking each others' whereabouts due to trust issues or infidelity is out of the question. This is not ok. Do not begin to feel like this is a new normal for you or that it is normal in any way.

I think a good number of us have been with partners who have expressed unnecessary likes or dislikes about what we wear, what we say, what we do, our careers or have experienced some form of backlash based on our choices and opinions.

Some of it is good feedback like that dress that didn't zip properly and my husband said made me look like stuffed sausage from the back and I couldn't see it very well (I appreciated that). Other comments shouldn't be welcome if it corrodes your very identity and questions your ability to think for yourself on a consistent basis.

You have to make the decision on whether someone else's comments are appropriate or not and express your own autonomy.

Don't be afraid.

Your boyfriend sounds like a classic abuser. It is now called cohesive control and is a crime. The thing with abusers is, they usually are nice and kind in the beginning, even love bombing you into believing its love. However, once you commit ie. Move in with them, get married or have a baby their true colours can show. I truly hope you manage to leave this relationship. I would speak to your parents asap. And go from there. Stay safe and good luck. You really do deserve better

Archived