Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Care

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared

Self Care

What are some of the things you do for self care?

Platinum Member
    Sipping on a glass of wine lol

I take time for just me, regularly. I am self employed so I can take a break whenever I want. I treat myself well, I am kind to me. My life is not stressful, it's generally quite pleasant. I like to sit on the back deck of my house and admire the view of the ravine and all the birds that fly on by.

Self care for me is exercise, smart dieting, getting together with friends several times a month, enjoying hobbies, reading good books the old-fashioned way, being with family and counting my daily blessings. I was unhappier when I didn't have any daily gratitude. I've since changed the way I think.

Self care is not depending and relying on others to make me happy. I find peace from within. My faith is my rock. I listen more and talk less.

I surround myself with good, solid, noble people. The rest? I kick them out of my life or enforce very strong, healthy boundaries with them. I've learned to appreciate these days because the past years were AWFUL. With patience and prayers, my day in the sun FINALLY came. My ship came in.

I probably don't do enough but a couple of years ago I started running and it really helps me. It's the first time in my entire life that I have been fit and I feel stronger than ever. It really clears my head - about halfway through my run, something happens and I stop thinking about things and it just gives my brain a break.

I'm reading a lot of words on the forums that I don't normally encounter so I had to look up the actual definition of "self-care" in the therapeutic or psychological sense. For anyone else who's interested, according to [Register to see the link] it's defined as the following: "Self-care is any activity that we do deliberately in order to take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health. Although itís a simple concept in theory, itís something we very often overlook. Good self-care is key to improved mood and reduced anxiety. Itís also key to a good relationship with oneself and others." ([Register to see the link] )

I usually spend time outdoors and recharge that way. Extra sleep is great too.

Platinum Member
    For me it's daily exercise and lots of self-talk to stay centered and grounded and not give in to triggers that impede my ability to stay calm with my child especially. It's about not paying attention to the "shoulds" including the shoulds about self-care (too many silly ones with presumptions that moms need wine/mani-pedi/massage etc). It's about self-honesty about what I really need whether it's space or to talk to a friend (or not to talk to a friend). Lots of self-talk which I'll mention again! And keeping up my water intake.

Self care for me, sometimes, is admitting when it's a bad day and letting myself be at peace with that. I tell myself that tomorrow will be better, and it helps get over the bad spots.

I am a bit of an introvert. At the same time I am very social and work amongst a large staff that I have to interact with. My batteries get depleted very easily, so my self care is time spent alone. Walking and listening to music helps too.

Practice placing and enforcing good boundaries.

Say no when I need to.

Spend quiet time reading or creating.

Sit in the sun and enjoy nature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice