Self Care

I take time for just me, regularly. I am self employed so I can take a break whenever I want. I treat myself well, I am kind to me. My life is not stressful, it's generally quite pleasant. I like to sit on the back deck of my house and admire the view of the ravine and all the birds that fly on by.

Self care for me is exercise, smart dieting, getting together with friends several times a month, enjoying hobbies, reading good books the old-fashioned way, being with family and counting my daily blessings. I was unhappier when I didn't have any daily gratitude. I've since changed the way I think.

Self care is not depending and relying on others to make me happy. I find peace from within. My faith is my rock. I listen more and talk less.

I surround myself with good, solid, noble people. The rest? I kick them out of my life or enforce very strong, healthy boundaries with them. I've learned to appreciate these days because the past years were AWFUL. With patience and prayers, my day in the sun FINALLY came. My ship came in.

I probably don't do enough but a couple of years ago I started running and it really helps me. It's the first time in my entire life that I have been fit and I feel stronger than ever. It really clears my head - about halfway through my run, something happens and I stop thinking about things and it just gives my brain a break.

I'm reading a lot of words on the forums that I don't normally encounter so I had to look up the actual definition of "self-care" in the therapeutic or psychological sense. For anyone else who's interested, according to http://www.psychocentral.com it's defined as the following: "Self-care is any activity that we do deliberately in order to take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health. Although it’s a simple concept in theory, it’s something we very often overlook. Good self-care is key to improved mood and reduced anxiety. It’s also key to a good relationship with oneself and others." (https://psychcentral.com/blog/what-self-care-is-and-what-it-isnt-2/)

I usually spend time outdoors and recharge that way. Extra sleep is great too.

For me it's daily exercise and lots of self-talk to stay centered and grounded and not give in to triggers that impede my ability to stay calm with my child especially. It's about not paying attention to the "shoulds" including the shoulds about self-care (too many silly ones with presumptions that moms need wine/mani-pedi/massage etc). It's about self-honesty about what I really need whether it's space or to talk to a friend (or not to talk to a friend). Lots of self-talk which I'll mention again! And keeping up my water intake.

What are some of the things you do for self care?

Many things depending on a number of factors, some is maintenance, some is restorative (even sometimes emergency type self care where all other things are put on hold until I feel safe/secure again). I may do these things alone or with company depending on my needs at the time.

Take a nap

Visit friends

Play badminton

Swim in local reservoir or river

Visit my favourite outdoor places (especially ones with water and birds), even just sitting in the garden listening to the goldfinches and watching the bullfinches

Eat my favourite nutritious foods, salmon, broccoli, eggs and hollandaise always makes me feel healthy, grapes and strawberries or greek yoghurt with fresh berries, honey and vanilla bean paste

People watch whilst enjoying a coffee at my local cafe

Meditate/Yoga

Listen to soothing and relaxing upbeat music, liquid drum and bass, bossa nova, ambient dubstep

Scramble/hike/mountaineer/wild camp

Do typical grooming in a particularly loving, soothing and self compassionate way, wash/brush hair, moisturise etc.

Play sudoku or solitaire

Window shop/visit gallery/book shop/museum

Watch old Disney or classic movies

Make a cup of earl grey tea from leaf, allowing myself to fully immerse in the process, it's only 10 minutes from the boiling to the brewing to the sipping but I feel very refreshed and restored after. Could do it with your favourite relaxing tea, camomile, peppermint, Jasmine with the buds, beautiful!

Have cuddles with loved ones

Look at the stars on clear nights

Essential oils in a vapouriser but scented candles would work well and provide a better atmosphere

Bubble bath

Things I used to do but no longer can, walk and cuddle dogs at the local rescue centre, bike ride, jog, go for a drive on country lanes

Hope you are ok xx

One aspect of self-care for me is the enjoyment of interacting with others. But I need some quiet time, too, to recharge my batteries - whether it's reflecting on life whilst drinking coffee, listening to music, reading a book, writing, taking a walk or whatever else.

Another aspect of self-care - the most important one for me - is learning to love others, being grateful as well as kind and simply appreciating the small things that life has to offer. That's IMHO the best way to re-energize and grow as a human being.

Archived