So, this year has had its Ups and Downs. My girlfriend, of 4 years, lost her father she never really knew. Since that happened she has become a totally different person. She used to always ask me to hangout, always wanted to talk to me, and I was the number one person in her life it seemed. Now she never asks me to hangout nor seems to want to hold a conversation over text. Last month she broke up with me over text message stating, “ I’m failing nursing school, I need space to figure out who I am.” A week later she wanted to get back together. I took her back but then she broke up with me two more times but then took it back a day later. People tell me to break up with her that she doesn’t respect me.. etc. I really see a future with this girl. I planned on proposing on our anniversary this year. She had no clue but I doubt I follow through with it. Any advice guys?

I also agree. There is nothing else you can point to. The lost chance of connecting with her father must have devastated her and caused a domino effect in her life such as affecting her studies, and nursing is a hard course. It is possible that there were opportunities to connect with her dad and she delayed or procrastinated and now, it is gone and she is racked with guilt. This is only a hypothesis for you to consider.

As devastating her situations is, most people would find someone to talk to and work thought it. She's imploded on herself, falling on the sword of guilt, and letting her life be destroyed. There's a possibility that not being able to cope with her father's death is a symptom of something else that's lurking in her mental health situation. Set your relationship issues aside and get her some help. Sometimes they just don't know how to ask.

Ok then step up and ask her out more and do more in person. However do not become a yo-yo on a string and put up with on/off, 'confused', etc. Is she seeing someone else?

Now she never asks me to hangout nor seems to want to hold a conversation over text. Last month she broke up with me over text message stating, “ I’m failing nursing school, I need space to figure out who I am.” A week later she wanted to get back together.

Archived