Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering Giving up on Uni

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    That's exactly the thing. It's better to do your best even to just 'limp by' than to ensure your own failure with resistance to even trying.

One trick I'd use is a free Treepad app that allowed me to type up an outline of the material I'm studying. I'd start with just the headings, then I'd read through, highlight or underline some stuff and later, type that into my outline. This helped me organize the material in a way that made sense to me.

I was a tech writer, so I'd pretend that I'm preparing a summary document for someone who was unfamiliar with the material. This taught me the material even while I felt like I was creating something with it. My notes helped me study for exams -OR- they gave me key material that I might quote in a paper later.

No learning is ever wasted when you use it to learn how to learn.
    I didn't have the benefit of the internet or apps back then BUT I outlined as we were told to do as newbies in that grad program and I always found that writing things out-in longhand -less so with typing - helped me learn, retain and focus/stay centered.

Gold Member
    Thanks for the support everyone. Set myself a timetable of 6hrs study a day until the deadline. I won't meet that but at least I'll probably pass if I attempt it. I've also organised a few activities in between because I have some time booked off. That should help reduce my anxiety. It's so severe sometimes I wonder if I have PTSD. I've always had pretty shoddy mental health but relationships and studies both really cause me some severe trauma to the point I'm barely able to function. It's all in my mind though. There is no real reason to be so upset by it. Two more weeks and I'll only be mildly traumatised until the start of my next module lol

Platinum Member
    Yes - you can do this and I'd force myself to stop the self-diagnosing for now until you're done. I thought this was your last module??

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    What is it about school that is upsetting? What in particular? My husband has GAD and had severely disabling anxiety about EVERYTHING. He would pass out when pushed to do almost anything.

Now after many years of therapy and the right medication his mental health is very good.

I have PTSD and anxiety but my anxiety is more situational.

Is yours more situational or generalized?

Your tuition covers mental health counseling on campus; have you take advantage of this service?

As time goes on our goals can change. Opportunities come up and may not again for a while. You sound burnt out. I was at that point in u university. I would have had my school paid for( I was considered an orphan because I was under 25 and in uni ft). But at 23 i finished my first degree and despised school. I was sick of it. I look back now and wished I could have done an advanced program but then I remember that sick feeling in my stomach when thinking about more schooling. For me mentally at the time I just couldn't do it. I worked instead. Several years later I did return to school and was ready to put the effort in. I say if you can do ish then finish. This is your best option. But if you are mentally sick and exhausted then working is better. It is not the end of the world if you dont finush now if school is that bad for you especislly if you have a jib in your field. Keep us posted.

Gold Member
    Lol, no time for self diagnosing haha. This is the penultimate module. One more after this but it will be half as much work. This is a double credit module.

Gold Member
    I am burnt out, mental health issues mean I have to put in a lot of effort to maintain a sense of stability which is exhausting in itself. Add studies on top of that and it's very demanding to keep myself well. I am performing ok at work and generally have improved a few things so I am progressing even if I have the occasional (or when studying regular) melt down. I just have to keep trying and proving to myself I can do things and they will get easier as my confidence grows.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    Your tuition covers mental health counseling on campus; have you take advantage of this service?
    No campus, I do distance learning. I have paid for my own counselling and therapy in the past when required. I am happy to report I am confident in my knowledge of how to take care of myself but not confident in my ability to implement said care. I can work on that. It's hard to juggle all of the things when studying and working but I can do it. Need to schedule and stick to it for my next module.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    What is it about school that is upsetting? What in particular? My husband has GAD and had severely disabling anxiety about EVERYTHING. He would pass out when pushed to do almost anything.

Now after many years of therapy and the right medication his mental health is very good.

I have PTSD and anxiety but my anxiety is more situational.

Is yours more situational or generalized?
    Good question. I think it is fear of failure which means in my child brain being trapped in misery forever, for a long time I placed my degree as a measure of self worth, without it I wasn't important, I've since worked on that and realise the measure of my worth comes from inside. I was not in a good home situation as a kid but was bright, I always saw getting my degree as the first step of the route to escape from my situation, a way to be independent and take care of myself. I think I am still stuck in that thinking in some ways and am occasionally overwhelmed by crippling fear and dread of not being able to complete my degree and rescue myself. Objectively my situation right now, though not ideal is OK, even good in some ways. It's hard to see that when you're in a meltdown over something from your past that no longer applies. I don't feel at the time OMG I can't escape from this abuse if I don't get my degree but the feelings I experience are of being unable to help myself, of being trapped, of fear, they come from that place even though they're no longer relevant. I can self talk and remind myself I am OK now and I already have the capacity to protect myself but it doesn't take away the feelings. They can't be rationalised.

Thankfully I've never been so bad as your husband, but I do sometimes get the shakes and symptoms out of the blue but not severely. The severe instances are triggered by things relating to my career or relationships so I would say mild occasional general anxiety and severe situational anxiety. I don't recall being unable to function over general things but relationships and career I have regular problems with. My therapist suggested I be evaluated for ASD as I may have that or BPD but I think realistically a diagnosis is less important than being able to manage life. The symptoms of both are somewhat interchangeable, the cause is different, the solutions somewhat similar and often females suffer from both according to my therapist. It may help in situations where I am struggling to keep my job due to symptoms (happened many times) and have protection against dismissal (again adding to my feelings of being stuck and unable to help myself) but I would rather have the ability to keep on top of things myself. I can get a bit stuck in trying to figure out what's wrong with me and what's caused it when figuring out how to manage my issues is more healthy and helpful to my wellbeing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice