Establishing a girl high school friendship

Tigroza

To put you in context, I was in a public primary school of my neighbourhood, and every one of my friends went to the nearest secondary school. So I was alone in a private secondary school (600 students) but I managed to find 4 close guy friends.

3rd year of secondary, this is where I hesitate about friendships and I realise that I don’t really have any girl friend to talk. One of my friends goes sometimes at the gymnasium to play volleyball during lunchtime and invites me on occasion. I accept and go to enjoy ourselves. The last 2 times I went, (in 2 weeks), there is a girl ( Which is in most of the classes with me)with her friend who plays on my team. The thing is, that I am a shy guy ( or scared as I read in other threads) and I don’t want to make myself seen as disrespectful.

So I only touch the ball if I’m needed. The 2 girls play together more than with others in my team, Somewhat because of their skill( I find them very good)and they might want to play more seriously.

This is where we get to the problem: I feel nervous around those girls ( Probably because they are nice and pretty), but doesn’t stop me from playing the best I can. My friend said a comment about them playing only the two but I hesitate if I should either -continue to go with my friend(even if it could end)(waiting for an invite because I don’t want to intrude in other people’s activities - stop going altogether - ask if I could join them( this would be hard because I never really did anything with girls, or ask them something)

What are your thoughts? Should I change anything or just let it be?

Thank you for your ideas

Depending on how old you are and what your background is like, maybe it's more difficult for you to see yourself approaching someone of the opposite gender. Since this is a lunchtime affair/not vball try outs or some other meet, my only suggestion is to be yourself, keep enjoying the games and be friendly. This is a casual type of hang out anyway during your lunch breaks. Go up to them and start with an introduction. I don't see anything wrong with asking to join them but I'd break the ice first and ask them how their day is going and exchange names if you don't know their names yet.

I would advise to take a casual approach and ask the girls if they want to play volleyball with you guys. Ask them when you are there with the other guy.

Don’t do the how’s your day going because that does look like an attempt to chat them up. And could backfire.

Just slowly get to know them through a common shared interest.

Archived